Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Basic entry-level fat bike price point

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-22-16, 02:51 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Hey all,

I am curious where the divide between junk fat bikes ends and basic, decent, serviceable ones begins.

I don't mountain bike, most of what I'd do is relatively flat rail/park trails. I'm not really concerned that fat bikes are slower or heavier than a traditional MTB, it won't be used as a MTB (and my favorite road bike comes in near 35# anyhow). What I am looking to do is winter snow and springtime muck, extending my riding season in Michigan. It may someday open some summertime MTB trail riding, but that is purely a secondary benefit.

I don't really have a budget, so I don't want to toss out any numbers and ask for what to buy at that limit. Just curious to see what sort of level of bike people recommend not going below for such riding. Wouldn't mind finding out where the cutoff is for bikes that have decent tires in the snow is at too, as my initial research indicates lower end bikes come with tires less suited for snow.
Old 09-22-16, 03:08 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Around $1,000 is the cut off between good and junk. Some bikes may seem like a good deal based on drive train, but wheels (rims) and tires are worth more than a fancy derailleur. And tubeless is worth the money.

If you can go to the $1,500-2,000 level you cam get a really nice bike.
Old 09-23-16, 11:34 AM
jefnvk

OK, good to know. The two I were really starting to look towards were the Framed Minnesota and the Cooker Charge, right there in that range. Having dabbled around on CL watching for a while, I know both occasionally drop into a price range I'd impulse spend, and realistically I could buy new without much concern.
Old 09-23-16, 12:20 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
OK, good to know. The two I were really starting to look towards were the Framed Minnesota and the Cooker Charge, right there in that range.
I have the Framed 3.0 and like it but hate "The House". If you have any questions about a Framed Fat Bike, PM me and I will help you out. IF you want to buy a Framed, I have a code for free shipping or something and I get a little store credit.
Old 09-23-16, 12:32 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Hey all,

I am curious where the divide between junk fat bikes ends and basic, decent, serviceable ones begins.

I don't mountain bike, most of what I'd do is relatively flat rail/park trails. I'm not really concerned that fat bikes are slower or heavier than a traditional MTB, it won't be used as a MTB (and my favorite road bike comes in near 35# anyhow). What I am looking to do is winter snow and springtime muck, extending my riding season in Michigan. It may someday open some summertime MTB trail riding, but that is purely a secondary benefit.

I don't really have a budget, so I don't want to toss out any numbers and ask for what to buy at that limit. Just curious to see what sort of level of bike people recommend not going below for such riding. Wouldn't mind finding out where the cutoff is for bikes that have decent tires in the snow is at too, as my initial research indicates lower end bikes come with tires less suited for snow.
I've been really happy with my Bikesdirect Motobecane Boris X7 and X9 for $700 and $800. I swapped the saddles (for preference), seatposts (for more length and better fit), and tubes (shaved a full pound) on both bikes.

Framed Minnesota were totally in the running, but frame sizing made the choice easier for us. After one test ride in the snow, I wanted bikes with really low top tubes. If you put a foot down, it's going to compress a lot of snow before it stops.
Old 09-23-16, 07:38 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by NYMXer
IF you want to buy a Framed, I have a code for free shipping or something and I get a little store credit.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! As it is a bike style I'm not familiar with, I'm doing my best to find something locally though (and very preferably used)

Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Framed Minnesota were totally in the running, but frame sizing made the choice easier for us. After one test ride in the snow, I wanted bikes with really low top tubes. If you put a foot down, it's going to compress a lot of snow before it stops.
Yeah, I stopped by Performance Bike on the way home just to visualize what they had. Even the 15" F@E was as intimate with my crotch as my road bikes, and I ride the biggest thing I can get on in that realm. Bit too close for comfort on something I expect to need to dismount much faster than a road bike. I was looking at the BD offerings too, but as I mentioned above this is one purchase I'd like to buy locally if possible. If not, Bike Island's scratch and dent offerings are quite attractive!
Old 09-23-16, 08:39 PM
Heyspike

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Carbon Synapse,2016 Cannondale Beast of the East, 2014 Cannondale CAADX, 1990's Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beast of the East

Just picked up this Mid-Fatty, 2.75 tires for about 1399.
So far so good and I think it looks cool too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160923_162003.jpg (100.3 KB, 148 views)
Old 09-23-16, 11:28 PM
jefnvk

Hows it in snow though? I can shove at least to 2.5" on my existing MTB, probably a bit more if I just want fatter tires.
Old 09-24-16, 06:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Specialized is clearing out the 2016 model Fatboy with carbon fork for $1200 these days.
Old 09-24-16, 07:11 AM
Heyspike

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Carbon Synapse,2016 Cannondale Beast of the East, 2014 Cannondale CAADX, 1990's Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hows it in snow though? I can shove at least to 2.5" on my existing MTB, probably a bit more if I just want fatter tires.
Not sure yet, but a big fatty would probably be better.
Old 09-24-16, 09:51 AM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Specialized is clearing out the 2016 model Fatboy with carbon fork for $1200 these days.
I didn't know that. But a Fatboy for $1200 is an awesome deal.
Old 09-24-16, 06:38 PM
jefnvk

Took a couple out at Performance Bike today. Man, did I have a ****-eating grin on my face when I was done (I really hope that doesn't turn out to be an uncommon phrase only heard at my university...)

But as a C&V man, how do people click through so many gears? At least the SRAM allowed me to skip a bunch, but that was completely foreign to me!
Old 09-24-16, 07:37 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
how do people click through so many gears? At least the SRAM allowed me to skip a bunch, but that was completely foreign to me!
Even with Shimano, if you push the lever a little, it's a single shift, a bit more and its a double shift. Puch to the stops and you do a triple shift
Old 09-24-16, 09:27 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by NYMXer
Even with Shimano, if you push the lever a little, it's a single shift, a bit more and its a double shift. Puch to the stops and you do a triple shift
Good to know. I rode the SRAM after the Shimano, accidentally found the feature, and when I told the salesman he told me he had no clue what I was talking about. I've got another two I wanna look at at another Performance, I'll try it then.

I will also say I wasn't impressed with mechanical disc brakes, but man are fluid ones nice!
Old 09-27-16, 12:11 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
One can look for used, they would be selling them now for the new stuff. Thinking about get a sus fork? Make sure the front hub and headtube will work. Rear axle width? 170, 190, 197 mm? Wider will fit the 5" tires. The minnesota and charge will work. Check out MTB review for fat bikes. Lots o info there.
Old 10-21-16, 11:30 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
All comments appreciated

Salsa 2015 Beargrease 2 Fatbike in Tree Fort Bikes Complete Fat Bikes

Surly 2017 Wednesday Complete Fat Bike in Tree Fort Bikes Complete Fat Bikes

New Fat Tire Bike. Charge cooker maxi was $1740 now on sale for $799

https://www.rei.com/product/109149/c...ad-3-bike-2017

Last edited by oddjob2; 10-21-16 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-24-16, 06:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Beargrease...Carbon Fork and lightest bike of the bunch.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2015_beargrease_2

Last edited by prj71; 11-04-16 at 06:49 AM.