Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Old 10-28-19, 01:24 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,489 Times in 3,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
can be treated essentially by repeated provocation of symptoms and desensitization of the brain mechanism that causes the sensation.
You’re going to have to watch that language young man, this isn’t that kind of forum.
Old 10-28-19, 01:25 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just fixed it. Now I need an avatar.
What are you thinking? Howard Stern's Fartman??
Old 10-28-19, 01:26 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Lol So you’re saying keep making the movements until I get used to them and don’t feel dizzy.
Old 10-28-19, 01:31 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by ksryder

Learning curve (on both my face and my legs) was a little steep but worth it now that I've got the hang of it.
In other words you ripped your face to shreds early on.
Old 10-28-19, 01:33 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I'm thinking about selling my Chinese carbon bike and got the idea to see if anyone here can help me figure out a fair price for it. If any of you are actually interested in it, let me know. I just don't need the hassle of keeping up with three bikes anymore.

It's a Workswell 066 frame in 54 cm size. That is the nearly perfect knock off of an older generation Cervelo R3. Even the plastic fittings are engraved "Cervelo". Workswell isn't making that frame any more, which is a shame. It is really sweet. Fork and seat post are carbon from Workswell. The steerer is stll 23 cm long from crown to underneath of the top cap. Headset is one of the better Cane Creek types, probably the "40" level. Saddle is Terry Fly Carbon. A great, really comfortable saddle. Stem is FSA OS-99, their lightest. Shifters and levers are SRAM mechanical Red 11-speed. Crank is an older FSA 5-spider K-Force Light, their best at the time. BB is also FSA's best steel, not ceramic. The frame is built to take a BBRight BB, but works great with the much more common 386 spindle, PF30 bearing cups, and the necessary spacers. Freewheel is alloy from Bob Dopolina, is fairly new and really works well. Brakes are Zero Gravity Ti. Ergo handlebar is Easton EC? 90 I think, but older. The wheels have Bike Hub Store Chinese hubs, Chinese low profile carbon tubular rims, and Sapim Laser spokes. They weigh only 999 g and ride great. Tires are Vittoria Corsa, one is the newer Corsa G. They are 25mm wide. I will include one or two lightly used Red steel freewheels and a brand new, never glued, Corsa G tire. Also a once mounted cheapo tire to carry as a spare on rides and a few rolls of Tufo mounting glue tape.

IIRC, weight of the bike without pedals, bottle cages or computer/fittings is in the high 12#s. Seriously!

Does $1,500 sound about right? Plus packing and shipping cost? I think I was able to squeeze my original cost down to about $4,000 with some careful parts shopping. This is a good opportunity for someone to get into tubular tires.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's black in case you didn't notice.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-28-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 01:39 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am nowhere near making the jump, but aware that if I do so, I prolly would have to get a new rear wheel or at least a new rear hub...although I imagine one can possibly retrofit their freehub body on an existing 11s rear wheel....maybe?
Sram makes freehubs to fit different manufacturer's hubs. The wheel maker I sent a question to uses a dt swiss hub on their wheel to adapt over to xdr. Not sure about the cost on that one just yet. But I saw the xdr hub to fit a dt swiss hub is ..... a hunerd bux. Plus whatever the upcharge is going to be from the wheel maker.

My advice is to wait. I kinda feel like I got caught in a pyramid scam at the moment.
Old 10-28-19, 01:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I'm thinking about selling my Chinese carbon bike and got the idea to see if anyone here can help me figure out a fair price for it. If any of you are actually interested in it, let me know. I just don't need the hassle of keeping up with three bikes anymore.

It's a Workswell 069 frame in 54 cm size. That is the nearly perfect knock off of an older generation Cervelo R3. Even the plastic fittings are engraved "Cervelo". Workswell isn't making that frame any more, which is a shame. It is really sweet. Fork and seat post are carbon from Workswell. The steerer is stll 23 cm long from crown to underneath of the top cap. Headset is one of the better Cane Creek types, probably the "40" level. Saddle is Terry Fly Carbon. A great, really comfortable saddle. Stem is FSA OS-99, their lightest. Shifters and levers are SRAM mechanical Red 11-speed. Crank is an older FSA 5-spider K-Force Light, their best at the time. BB is also FSA's best steel, not ceramic. The frame is built to take a BBRight BB, but works great with the much more common 386 spindle, PF30 bearing cups, and the necessary spacers. Freewheel is alloy from Bob Dopolina, is fairly new and really works well. Brakes are Zero Gravity Ti. Ergo handlebar is Easton EC? 90 I think, but older. The wheels have Bike Hub Store Chinese hubs, Chinese low profile carbon tubular rims, and Sapim Laser spokes. They weigh only 999 g and ride great. Tires are Vittoria Corsa, one is the newer Corsa G. They are 25mm wide. I will include one or two lightly used Red steel freewheels and a brand new Corsa G tire.

Weight of the bike without pedals, bottle cages or computer/fittings is in the mid 12#s. Seriously!

Does $1,500 sound about right? Plus packing and shipping cost? I think I was able to squeeze my original cost down to about $4,000 with some careful parts shopping.

Sounds about right. But why are you getting rid of it? The formula is n PLUS 1, not n MINUS 1.
Old 10-28-19, 01:43 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Definitely the Cruzbike. Trikes are fun and some people can make the racing models fly but I can’t. Three wheels has too much rolling resistance and generally a weight penalty.

Be aware that the Cruzbike has a fairly steep learning curve but people have put out some serious speed in them.

Personally, if I was looking at a two wheeled bent, which I’m not, I’d look at the Vite site and check out the new Freestyle and some of his other stuff. John and his wife are also Bacchetta dealers if one needs to order Bacchetta Carbontrike or a CA3.

BTW, I ride an ICE VTX with all the light stuff. I’d put it up against a Bacchetta Carbontrike anyday. It’s not carbon but it’s got a better pedigree, stiffer, etc. Top line VTX cost is close to the same.
Thanks. That ICE VTX looks like a serious machine. Quite expensive though. What is the Vite site you talk about?

Good to know that the trikes are generally slower, although I feel that there has to be more to it than just one extra tire worth of rolling resistance.
Old 10-28-19, 01:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Columbia. And she was so adamant she wants to go there, she pushed us to agree to early decision. The application is sent, we find out before December 15th.

I honestly think it's a too high pressure environment for her, but as per previous, she doesn't care what I think.
Oh, that's right. You told us earlier. Yeah, it's an intense place. My daughter loved everything about it except that core curriculum, so she didn't pursue it after a visit. Her great grandmother went there for undergrad and PhD and I think she liked that idea, plus she would have given anything to live in NYC at that time.

At least it's not too far away!

I have kids from Smith, Catholic, and UC Davis as post-bac fellows right now. They're all great.
Old 10-28-19, 02:06 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Oh, that's right. You told us earlier. Yeah, it's an intense place. My daughter loved everything about it except that core curriculum, so she didn't pursue it after a visit. Her great grandmother went there for undergrad and PhD and I think she liked that idea, plus she would have given anything to live in NYC at that time.

At least it's not too far away!

I have kids from Smith, Catholic, and UC Davis as post-bac fellows right now. They're all great.
Stay tuned. I believe getting into these elite schools is a bit of a crapshoot. So in spite of SAT>1500 and GPA>4.0 it's not a done deal. She may still got to Pitt after all.

I went to that snooty elite school just to your North and TBH I would have come out happier if I had gone to a less intense place undergrad. But we all have to learn these lessons for ourselves.
Old 10-28-19, 02:08 PM
PepeM

Isn't the intensity and competitiveness just in people's head? The graduation rates are 95%+, so once you are in you are pretty much guaranteed to get a degree.

EDIT: Columbia's average GPA is 3.6 apparently. Kiddos need to chillax.
Old 10-28-19, 02:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by ls01
Sram makes freehubs to fit different manufacturer's hubs. The wheel maker I sent a question to uses a dt swiss hub on their wheel to adapt over to xdr. Not sure about the cost on that one just yet. But I saw the xdr hub to fit a dt swiss hub is ..... a hunerd bux. Plus whatever the upcharge is going to be from the wheel maker.

My advice is to wait. I kinda feel like I got caught in a pyramid scam at the moment.
Yeah I am almost certainly going to wait. The Ultegra 6700 groupsets I have on both road bikes and the CX are functional and cross-compatible. I have enough RD cables, 10sp chains, and cassettes on the pegboard to last 3 more years. But a guy can dream, right??
Old 10-28-19, 02:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by PepeM
Isn't the intensity and competitiveness just in people's head? The graduation rates are 95%+, so once you are in you are pretty much guaranteed to get a degree.
That's a factor, yes. But the kids don't always get it.

Plus, if you are used to being at the top of your class and getting A's, then go to an elite school where you are in the bottom third academically and getting Bs and Cs despite working your butt off, that can be hard to accept and causes all kinds of problems. Sad.
Old 10-28-19, 02:14 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Thanks. That ICE VTX looks like a serious machine. Quite expensive though. What is the Vite site you talk about?

Good to know that the trikes are generally slower, although I feel that there has to be more to it than just one extra tire worth of rolling resistance.
Try https://schlitter.bike/ He must of changed his site name.

Old 10-28-19, 02:16 PM
PepeM

Try https://schlitter.bike/ He must of changed his site name.

I'm really intrigued by all kinds of different bikes. Eventually I will have to try something out. Or am I too young for it?
Old 10-28-19, 02:22 PM
BillyD
Administrator

I am trying to get daughter #2 interested in going to Pitt for undergrad. They have a fantastic honors program.

My efforts are not working.
Too close to home.
Old 10-28-19, 02:27 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I'm really intrigued by all kinds of different bikes. Eventually I will have to try something out. Or am I too young for it?
In the U.S? Maybe. In many parts of Europe, no. Quite a bit of racing is done on bents over there. Holland, Belgium, Germany, England, etc.

Old 10-28-19, 02:31 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Stay tuned. I believe getting into these elite schools is a bit of a crapshoot. So in spite of SAT>1500 and GPA>4.0 it's not a done deal. She may still got to Pitt after all.

I went to that snooty elite school just to your North and TBH I would have come out happier if I had gone to a less intense place undergrad. But we all have to learn these lessons for ourselves.
Yeah, the kids are all different and there is nothing worse than living through them, like those awful people who got busted in the Varsity Blues thing. Daughter had the opportunity to go to Sidwell Friends for HS and mom said no—more academic and social pressure than this particular kid could handle. Outcome? Wouldn't have changed a thing, as far as I can tell. She went to her top choice for college (with plenty of Sidwell kids) and she's doing exactly what she planned to do since she was 12.
Old 10-28-19, 02:35 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
These things rode in my back pocket, after the first few minutes of today's ride.

Old 10-28-19, 02:50 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
In other words you ripped your face to shreds early on.
I had so many bits of tissue paper stuck to the nicks on my face I looked like a collage of Japanese flags.

Picture the skies over Pearl Harbor at 7:48 a.m. December 7, 1941 and you've got a pretty good idea.
Old 10-28-19, 03:04 PM
PepeM

In the U.S? Maybe. In many parts of Europe, no. Quite a bit of racing is done on bents over there. Holland, Belgium, Germany, England, etc.
Hopefully my employer will agree to buy me a velomobile, then I will be happy. Otherwise I might be tempted to throw my own money at some other device. An e-bike maybe?
Old 10-28-19, 03:19 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Holland is where a lot of Velomobiles come from. $$$

VM tend to be made for tall Dutch people.

Old 10-28-19, 03:52 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker

It's a Workswell 066 frame in 54 cm size. That is the nearly perfect knock off of an older generation Cervelo R3. Even the plastic fittings are engraved "Cervelo". Workswell isn't making that frame any more, which is a shame. It is really sweet. Fork and seat post are carbon from Workswell. The steerer is stll 23 cm long from crown to underneath of the top cap. Headset is one of the better Cane Creek types, probably the "40" level. Saddle is Terry Fly Carbon. A great, really comfortable saddle. Stem is FSA OS-99, their lightest. Shifters and levers are SRAM mechanical Red 11-speed. Crank is an older FSA 5-spider K-Force Light, their best at the time. BB is also FSA's best steel, not ceramic. The frame is built to take a BBRight BB, but works great with the much more common 386 spindle, PF30 bearing cups, and the necessary spacers. Freewheel is alloy from Bob Dopolina, is fairly new and really works well. Brakes are Zero Gravity Ti. Ergo handlebar is Easton EC? 90 I think, but older. The wheels have Bike Hub Store Chinese hubs, Chinese low profile carbon tubular rims, and Sapim Laser spokes. They weigh only 999 g and ride great. Tires are Vittoria Corsa, one is the newer Corsa G. They are 25mm wide. I will include one or two lightly used Red steel freewheels and a brand new, never glued, Corsa G tire. Also a once mounted cheapo tire to carry as a spare on rides and a few rolls of Tufo mounting glue tape.

IIRC, weight of the bike without pedals, bottle cages or computer/fittings is in the high 12#s. Seriously!

Does $1,500 sound about right? Plus packing and shipping cost? I think I was able to squeeze my original cost down to about $4,000 with some careful parts shopping. This is a good opportunity for someone to get into tubular tires.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's black in case you didn't notice.

I'd hit it. Too small, and dare I say, I have too many bikes, but that would sure be a good racer.
Old 10-28-19, 03:53 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
These things rode in my back pocket, after the first few minutes of today's ride.

I shoveled my driveway this morning.
Old 10-28-19, 05:07 PM
PepeM

VM tend to be made for tall Dutch people.
Oh oh, I might be in trouble then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.