Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ritchey Bikes Only - Post Your Vintage MTB or Roadie

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ritchey Bikes Only - Post Your Vintage MTB or Roadie

Old 08-12-15, 03:58 AM
Paulfs67

Bikes: Trek Modone 6.5 (08), 1930's Healing, 1994 Ritchey Road Logic, Kuwuhara T/T early 90's, Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert 1992,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's my 94 Road Logic, picked it up for $20 at a garage sale couldn't get it into my car fast enough

How I brought it
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

after lots of work, all cable guides, brake bridge where rusted through and the seat tube clamp area was badly pitted
[IMG][/IMG]

Finally on the road now running DA7800 with Wobler tubs with DA 7400 hubs, such a fantastic ride

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Likes For Paulfs67:
Old 08-12-15, 04:28 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Very nice Paul! I love it when a classic is restored back to it's rightful glory. Looks great.
Likes For Vonruden:
Old 08-12-15, 04:37 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Outstanding work Paul.

Way to get after it.
Old 08-13-15, 03:48 PM
rebelcontender

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulfs67
Here's my 94 Road Logic, picked it up for $20 at a garage sale couldn't get it into my car fast enough

[/IMG]

Finally on the road now running DA7800 with Wobler tubs with DA 7400 hubs, such a fantastic ride

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Fantastic! if you haven't done so already, be sure to post this final pic in the retro roadies- old frames with STI's thread.
Old 08-14-15, 03:10 AM
Paulfs67

Bikes: Trek Modone 6.5 (08), 1930's Healing, 1994 Ritchey Road Logic, Kuwuhara T/T early 90's, Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert 1992,

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelcontender
Fantastic! if you haven't done so already, be sure to post this final pic in the retro roadies- old frames with STI's thread.
Thanks, I have already posted it there. I couldn't believe my luck in finding this, it was in terrible condition but I'm always up for a challenge and this is a keeper
Old 07-02-19, 03:36 PM
Lyle Hardin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnplf
1986 Ritchey Team Comp

- Handmade in Palo Alto, CA by Tom Ritchey!
- 19" Fillet-brazed Tange Prestige frame and fork, DuPont Imron Team Red.
- Fillet-brazed Twinstrut chromoly stem and handlebars
- Shimano XT shifters and FD (1st Generation)
- Suntour Roller-cam front and rear brakes.
- Shimano DX rear derailleur (non-original)
- Araya 26" rims
- Suntour XC seatpost, Ritchey saddle (non-original)
- Shimano 600 EX triple crankset with Biopace chainrings
- Suntour XC bear trap pedals

Got it shipped to me from a Play It Again Sports in Citrus Heights, CA. Much thanks to Darth Lefty for the tip that lead to me acquiring this beauty! It needed lots of work. Now it rides like a dream!

Wow! My heart stopped when I saw this! I have one exactly like it (but a bit more abused). I bought mine in 1987 at Project Bike in Lafayette, IN (owned by John Cherry).
He was selling it to buy a frame for his new bike. Straight out of college (Purdue) I balked at paying $700 for it, but I still have it and still ride it more than 30 years later!
I'd post pictures, but I don't need to. It seriously is the exact same thing.
Old 08-16-19, 02:37 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
1983 Ritchey Everest

Parts waiting to be cleaned, polished & installed
Likes For eshew:
Old 08-16-19, 03:04 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Nice. Love the old MountainBikes decal.
Old 08-16-19, 03:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
The more I learn about Tom Richie, the more I respect him. He designed and had built a fleet of cargo bikes for Rwanda coffee farmers to get their beans quickly to the roaster on very poor third world roads. As I recall, the farmers were taught they had a 4 hour window after picking to get their beans roasted, After that, the beans went from some of the world's best to just another coffee bean. Ritchie designed bikes to haul 600 pound loads of beans down a mountain road ~4 miles (IIRC) to the roaster.

We can now go to Starbucks and buy bags Rwandan coffee (at the high end prices). Life changing over there.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-17-19, 12:50 PM
MikeAndJean

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 18 Posts
Until last March my wife and I rode Tom's first tandem - at least the first tandem he sold. We met Tom in the late 70's on Sunday morning rides led by an interesting guy named Jobst Brandt. At that time we were riding a Bob Jackson tandem. Tom made a tandem for riding with his wife that he let us try out. It had a weird geometry with a very short front top tube compensated for by a very long stem. We didn't like that arrangement but Tom clearly knew how to assemble tubes so we asked him to build a more conventional frame for us.

The year was 1977 and there was a stack of unusual looking frames in the corner of his shop when we picked up our new frame. I believe those unusual looking frames were one of his first orders for mountain bikes.

The photo above was taken no long afterwards. We rode this bike more than 100,000 miles over the next 41 years. The photo below was taken in Switzerland in 1984.

We also rode on a lot of dirt roads. The next photos show us working our way around a landslide on Alpine Road in the Bay Area.

That is Jobst Brandt in the front, also riding a Ritchey. Our last long ride on this wonderful tandem was last Summer. We repeated an easy trip on the coast in Northern California.

The only problem with that tandem was the lack of mountings for disk brakes. We used an old Atom drum brake that I modified with larger flanges that placed the spoke holes outside the diameter of the freewheel, so that we could replace broken spokes on the road. The flanges was drilled for 48 hole rims. The wheel worked great but that Atom drum brake was marginal. This past March we bought a new Breakaway frame from Tom, which we are enjoying.

I also ride a Ritchey Classic and a Breakaway single.

Last edited by MikeAndJean; 08-17-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 06:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean
Until last March my wife and I rode Tom's first tandem - at least the first tandem he sold.
That's some fantastic history and great experiences!
Old 08-17-19, 07:29 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
A break away Tandem ? wow that is cool. I have a titanium breakaway and it's a great bike but I have this 1978 Ritchey mountain bike that I've owned for 30 years. It's an old friend and gets ridden occaisionally.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-18-19, 12:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean
Until last March my wife and I rode Tom's first tandem - at least the first tandem he sold. We met Tom in the late 70's on Sunday morning rides led by an interesting guy named Jobst Brandt. At that time we were riding a Bob Jackson tandem. Tom made a tandem for riding with his wife that he let us try out. It had a weird geometry with a very short front top tube compensated for by a very long stem. We didn't like that arrangement but Tom clearly knew how to assemble tubes so we asked him to build a more conventional frame for us.

The year was 1977 and there was a stack of unusual looking frames in the corner of his shop when we picked up our new frame. I believe those unusual looking frames were one of his first orders for mountain bikes.

The photo above was taken no long afterwards. We rode this bike more than 100,000 miles over the next 41 years. The photo below was taken in Switzerland in 1984.

We also rode on a lot of dirt roads. The next photos show us working our way around a landslide on Alpine Road in the Bay Area.

That is Jobst Brandt in the front, also riding a Ritchey. Our last long ride on this wonderful tandem was last Summer. We repeated an easy trip on the coast in Northern California.

The only problem with that tandem was the lack of mountings for disk brakes. We used an old Atom drum brake that I modified with larger flanges that placed the spoke holes outside the diameter of the freewheel, so that we could replace broken spokes on the road. The flanges was drilled for 48 hole rims. The wheel worked great but that Atom drum brake was marginal. This past March we bought a new Breakaway frame from Tom, which we are enjoying.

I also ride a Ritchey Classic and a Breakaway single.
That is one of the coolest bikes, tandem, story I have seen and heard, the new and the old, fabulous!

Thank you so much for sharing.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-18-19, 03:32 PM
MikeAndJean

Originally Posted by mpetry912
A break away Tandem ? wow that is cool. I have a titanium breakaway and it's a great bike but I have this 1978 Ritchey mountain bike that I've owned for 30 years. It's an old friend and gets ridden occaisionally.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Nice bike. Here is my Ritchey Classic, which I have ridden since 1990.

I also have a steel Breakaway frame, which I have ridden since around 2005. I use to travel to Europe monthly for work. I set this bike up with a fixed gear, using an ENO hub with an eccentric axle on the rear. This bike fit in a airline approved suitcase, weighed 15 pounds complete, and could be setup in about 15 minutes. This let me go for short rides before or after work in a variety of interesting locations. The photo below was taken one early morning in Munster.

Last edited by MikeAndJean; 08-18-19 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 01:39 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 161 Posts
Early Ritchey Road Tandem

Have been perusing BF for info and pix of vintage Ritchey road tandems and I found a picture of MY BIKE...I purchased off CL a few days ago....pix not mine (credit to Icepick Trotsky).
Old 08-05-20, 10:14 PM
masispecial

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 21 Posts
My two.
I have had the blue one about ten years, the purple frame came from ebay earlier in the year. I will post more detailed photos when I get organised.

Likes For masispecial:
Old 08-06-20, 10:52 AM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
Unfortunately I only have one Ritchey, this '88 Ascent Comp, which came out of a local collection and had been a wall hanger for some time. All original except for cables.

Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 08-06-20, 05:45 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

My new (to me) Ritchey Palo Alto road tandem...my photos this time. Hopefully get a around to a little wrenching this weekend...see what I got here. Going to try and pull the Arai drum and exchange the Sugino rear seat post for a Campy that matches the captain’s set post...the Sugino looks too small in diameter to me. If it is, I sure hope the binder didn’t get screwed up. While I’m at it, I’ll dig out a better stoker saddle. Likely pull timing side pedals to confirm these are proper tandem cranks too. Been digging into details on Ritchey’s early road tandems, this one has the binder bolt in front of captains seat tube and the slot runs on the top tube....most of the pix I see look like the binder bolt is more often on the rear of the seat tube...anybody have any knowledge on this “odd” set up??

Likes For Markeologist:
Old 08-07-20, 12:28 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
I have a late 85 Ascent, I have been working on it getting it restored. this is how i got it, took me a few minutes to figure out it is a Ritchey.

but anyways need to figure out the correct decals to order and find the Araya RM20/ DuraAce Rims that it should have came with!

Old 08-09-20, 11:57 PM
MikeAndJean

Originally Posted by Markeologist
My new (to me) Ritchey Palo Alto road tandem...my photos this time. Hopefully get a around to a little wrenching this weekend...see what I got here. Going to try and pull the Arai drum and exchange the Sugino rear seat post for a Campy that matches the captain’s set post...the Sugino looks too small in diameter to me. If it is, I sure hope the binder didn’t get screwed up. While I’m at it, I’ll dig out a better stoker saddle. Likely pull timing side pedals to confirm these are proper tandem cranks too. Been digging into details on Ritchey’s early road tandems, this one has the binder bolt in front of captains seat tube and the slot runs on the top tube....most of the pix I see look like the binder bolt is more often on the rear of the seat tube...anybody have any knowledge on this “odd” set up??

Looks great. The gearing look like a big improvement over the arrangement we used for 40+ years.

It does not look like Tom built this bike for a hub brake; however, you can find the necessary cable stops in the Campy vintage section of eBay. You also will need a cable splitter for the third brake. That last sentence may draw criticism from some tandem teams. I preferred having all brakes controlled by the rider in front. Other teams consider that to be a demeaning arrangement for the rider in back and instead add a third brake lever to the rear handle bars. This arrangement is consistent with the idea that the hub brake is something you use to slow the bike rather than stop it. To me that seems like a mistake in the event of a panic stop. However, this is not your first tandem so by now you have worked out a solution to this issue with your partner.

Go ride this tandem up a hill. Once you do you won't be happy with your other tandem.
Likes For MikeAndJean:
Old 11-19-20, 04:55 PM
Markeologist

Been addressing various issues on my Ritchey Palo Alto tandem, most importantly yanked later Specialized crank that was on stokers drive side and replaced with early Dura Ace to match other three cranks. Also replaced tires, replaced stoker's seat post with a Campy NR to match captain's post, put on a pair of Brooks B17 Imperials, a Silca Imperio pump, and three vintage Avocet bottle cages...Avocet was Palo Alto Bike Shop's own brand. Only had two yellow cages, the third is black and is used to hold my vintage Kangaroo Baggs tool role. The ride of this bike is simply marvelous.
Old 11-20-20, 09:47 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 236 Posts

My 89 Ultra
Old 11-20-20, 10:52 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Maybe not 100 percent Ritchey but I was tickled to see the rear dropouts on this Bianchi are stamped Ritchey.
Old 11-21-20, 06:55 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Been addressing various issues on my Ritchey Palo Alto tandem, most importantly yanked later Specialized crank that was on stokers drive side and replaced with early Dura Ace to match other three cranks. Also replaced tires, replaced stoker's seat post with a Campy NR to match captain's post, put on a pair of Brooks B17 Imperials, a Silca Imperio pump, and three vintage Avocet bottle cages...Avocet was Palo Alto Bike Shop's own brand. Only had two yellow cages, the third is black and is used to hold my vintage Kangaroo Baggs tool role. The ride of this bike is simply marvelous.
Really nice resurrection. What is the bungie cord?
Old 11-21-20, 09:15 AM
mosinglespeeder

Bikes: Waterford W-13, Ritchey road logic; Ritchey SwissCross; Pinarello Paris ; Surly Karate Monkey monstergravel hauler 1983 Mike Mullet, mid 80s Alpina, late 70s schwinn world sport tourer

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
This is a great thread, as a modern day owner of Ritchey's, i agree, he is most under appreciated and most humble of framebuilders. My best evidence was we were riding on a charity ride here in the midwest, and buddy next to me says 'hey...thats Tom Ritchey' and sure enough it was. We had a short chat on the road which was the coolest thing ever. We were just friends w/bikes in common which was the best. Nonetheless, that was 20 yrs ago and ever since I have been impressed with his work. BTW: Paul, that was excellent work on that road logic to get it back up and running.
Likes For mosinglespeeder:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.