Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Dual Sport riders sound off!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Dual Sport riders sound off!

Old 02-08-15, 09:27 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have the 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Expert Disc. Its SO badass. I had the Comp Disc last year (stolen.) I decided to just go top of the line with the insurance money from my Comp Disc. Its a gorgeous gunmetal w/gloss black and red accents, packed with really nice components and light. I commute about 13 miles one way to work. Call it 100 miles a week and then usually do a nice ride on the weekends. Lots of bike paths, light dirt trail usage. Its just awesome. I can't wait for spring.
Old 02-08-15, 09:06 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
DS 8.4 (2013 ) here. Loved the matte white and hydraulic brakes (was set on an 8.3 when I went to the shop). My first real bike for about 30 years and got me into "serous cycling". I've got firetrails around home and it's a perfect compromise for me.

Just yesterday, logging roads and firetrails in the National Park then road back to our holiday home. Lock the suspension on or off at will depending on the circumstances. It was my first bike and even though I've got two more now I'll keep using because of its versatility. I mean a road bike can really only go on the road, my MTB is geared too low for road but great for trails. The DS......

Last edited by limbot; 02-09-15 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 06:35 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
A DS bike is a hybrid/29er that can go on both roads and the trails. As the name indicates, its a marriage of the hybrid with the mountain bike.
Thanks for responding to my question from 11-06-13. I though my question was answered.

So my "hybrid" know as a cross bike in Japan (not to be confused with a Cyclocross bike) is what, by your definition? My bike is an MTB frame and components, with 700 rims ie. (29er rims which take a max of 32mm tyres)
Old 02-11-15, 06:44 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Thanks for responding to my question from 11-06-13. I though my question was answered.

So my "hybrid" know as a cross bike in Japan (not to be confused with a Cyclocross bike) is what, by your definition? My bike is an MTB frame and components, with 700 rims ie. (29er rims which take a max of 32mm tyres)
It would be called a hybrid. A 29er is a bike that can take up to 60c tires. Mine has 52c tires.
Old 02-11-15, 06:49 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts

Heh heh ... seems to be an outbreak of this sort of thing on here lately, giantcfr1! Another lousy winter here in N.A. -- probably explains most of it. Poor old "Hybrid" sub-forum. Bike is looking great, btw!
Old 02-11-15, 07:40 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I like the look of that riser bar, comfort and looks. Both my bikes have riser bars for comfort and more leverage.
Old 02-12-15, 07:54 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane ALR5, 2014 Trek 8.3 DS

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I picked up a Trek 8.3 DS last July and have loved every minute of riding it. I'm 5'11", but found that a 17.5" frame was the most comfortable (despite the fact that it *should* be too small for me). I really like the color; it's the matte green. I think it's pretty cool to have a green bike when almost everyone else is riding white, blue or black.

I put 1,000 miles on it the first three months, riding a local MUP that's mostly paved with a couple of rough sections, about a mile of packed-dirt and some gravel. The DS feels great over all terrains.

It's been far too cold here in Pennsylvania for me to be comfortable riding outside, so I asked for (and got) a CyclopOps Fluid2 for Christmas and have been riding it in my basement so I don't lose the fitness gains I saw when the weather was nice.
Old 02-12-15, 09:39 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Originally Posted by badger1
Heh heh ... seems to be an outbreak of this sort of thing on here lately, giantcfr1! Another lousy winter here in N.A. -- probably explains most of it. Poor old "Hybrid" sub-forum. Bike is looking great, btw!
I think you are right. Sadly I've been slck in checking in for a while, so missing the fun. Oh well, I'm sure when spring hits the Northern Hemisphire, the Hybrid discussions will come alive.
I've been using my MTB (Dual Sports thingy bike) lately on the snow covered trails. Lot's of fun.
Old 02-12-15, 09:40 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Originally Posted by 2702
I like the look of that riser bar, comfort and looks. Both my bikes have riser bars for comfort and more leverage.
Thanks. Yeah I agree. These bars are perfect for my liking.
Old 09-26-15, 10:27 AM
neanders2

Bikes: 2016 GT Transeo 2.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a 2016 GT Transeo 2.0 for about 1 week now, bought it from Performance Bike. It's a nice bike, it has the hydraulic disc brakes and a remote lockout for the front fork. It really is a lot of bike for the money, at least it seems so to me. I'm not any kind of bike expert and I know there is a lot opinion regarding frames, etc. Seems almost everyone in this thread has a Trek, but unfortunately the Trek dealer here didn't have one single DS in stock. They said there's just no demand for them, which I find hard to believe here in OR. But hey, I don't sell bikes for a living. Anyway, I like my new bike, but I will say it's not as "fast" as I wish it was. But then, you really can't have one bike that's perfect for everything and I realize that. If I really get into longer rides and speed, I'll buy a road bike. But for now I plan to stick with this bike I bought. The other bikes I looked at are the Diamondback Trace Comp Dual Sport and the Schwinn Searcher 4. I almost bought the Diamondback, but no remote lockout and no room for a kickstand bugged me. The Schwinn specs out much lower than the Transeo 2.0 but honestly looked like a good bike for the money. I kind of liked the grip shifters, even though it seems they're considered bush league or "cheap".
Old 09-26-15, 12:39 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I bought the GT Eightball. It has Shimano Alfine 8 speed IGH and rigid fork.

Came with urban slicks but I've upgraded to all-around tires.

I knew I wanted a bike I could take everywhere.

In hindsight, the new Fairdale Weekender Archer is even better but I have no real regrets.
Old 09-28-15, 02:33 PM
roguewave

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought this a couple weeks ago, can't find anyone else who has one to see if they like it as much as I do. 2016 Giant toughroad SLR2

Last edited by roguewave; 09-28-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 07:12 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by roguewave
Bought this a couple weeks ago, can't find anyone else who has one to see if they like it as much as I do. 2016 Giant toughroad SLR2

Great looking bike.

What are your impressions of it so far?
Old 09-28-15, 07:53 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by roguewave
I'm with ColonelSanders, you should start a new thread with a good in-depth review of your bike. Also, I'd swap those grips for something better and put some bar ends. This bike deserves it. Next on the list would be the saddle and the pedals.
Old 09-29-15, 06:36 PM
bald

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.6, 1994 Huffy Rocky Pass MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Trek DS 8.6 a few weeks ago. I use it for (somewhat) light MTB trail, and rail to trail. I put 700X43 rock-n-road tires on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FullSizeRender(1).jpg (69.7 KB, 250 views)
climb.jpg (95.1 KB, 248 views)
DSC_0008.jpg (91.7 KB, 251 views)
Old 09-29-15, 10:02 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
My 2010/11 Roam 2. Bought it used from a friends who also bought it used. In 2015 it's been one of my favorite bikes to ride.

A few modest upgrades are planned. See post 117.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 09-29-15 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 10:18 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
My 2003 Raleigh M60. While technically not a hybrid, it's not really much of an MTB either. Raleigh calls it a "mountain sport" whatever that means. I've swapped out quite a few bits to make it more upright and road friendly.

Over the winter I'm going to swap out a few components on this bike. I have a cache of NOS set of LX shifter/brake pods, a NOS LX rear derailleur, fresh SS cables, a new BB and crankset, a few other bits and am going to order some Ergon GP1 grips. I plan to strip the M60 down to the frame, clean everything inside and out and rebuild it with the better bits. Once that project is complete I'll use the Deore non-LX bits currently on the M60 and put them on the Roam 2 in the post above. Should be fun.

Old 05-01-20, 06:23 PM
Amberina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DS 3 - I love it but have outgrown it

I’ve had my DS3 about a year now, and have about 5000 km on it. for a commuter and fitness bike it’s great. I had a city bike prior which completely not appropriate for living in North Queensland..I’m not in the outback, but you can see it from here, The DS has made much more confident and I’m riding the tracks that are around. The frame isn’t wide enough to put a proper mountain tire on, and the shock could be beefier as well.

I am 5 ft 1, 48 yrs old lady, the handle bar width is fine for me but a friend of mine finds them too narrow fit local riding conditions. On paper that fork should be more than enough for a rider like me, but off pavement it’s lacking.

The pedals are too small and were swapped out in a week.

The tires were changed within a month to the tubeless bontrager gravel. It’s frustrating as the frame isn’t quite wide enough for a proper mountain bike tire, I’m waiting for another set of maxxis ramblers 700x42 to give a bit more traction on dirt and sand a bd hopefully be better with the unrelenting thorns...

Now that I’m riding on dirt tracks, I really want a dropper post and fork..,

but as a commuter ... amazing ... and when I bought the thing I had no interest in the dirt tracks.

Beware! This bike makes explore!
Old 05-03-20, 07:08 PM
zerogravity
Trek DS 8.4 Rider!

Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Amberina
I’ve had my DS3 about a year now, and have about 5000 km on it. for a commuter and fitness bike it’s great. I had a city bike prior which completely not appropriate for living in North Queensland..I’m not in the outback, but you can see it from here, The DS has made much more confident and I’m riding the tracks that are around. The frame isn’t wide enough to put a proper mountain tire on, and the shock could be beefier as well.

I am 5 ft 1, 48 yrs old lady, the handle bar width is fine for me but a friend of mine finds them too narrow fit local riding conditions. On paper that fork should be more than enough for a rider like me, but off pavement it’s lacking.

The pedals are too small and were swapped out in a week.

The tires were changed within a month to the tubeless bontrager gravel. It’s frustrating as the frame isn’t quite wide enough for a proper mountain bike tire, I’m waiting for another set of maxxis ramblers 700x42 to give a bit more traction on dirt and sand a bd hopefully be better with the unrelenting thorns...

Now that I’m riding on dirt tracks, I really want a dropper post and fork..,

but as a commuter ... amazing ... and when I bought the thing I had no interest in the dirt tracks.

Beware! This bike makes explore!
I somewhat agree but I don't. I took my dual sport 8.4 everywhere at stock form. I did realize after riding both on the pavement and dirt I liked dirt more. So the MTB hardtale conversion started. The widest tires I had on the stock wheels were 29x2.2 front and 29.2.1 rears Kenda Slant 6's. With the trails here in Southern California, they worked fine. Also added a 750mm bar. Eventually I added a Rockshox Fork.
this was my set up after 6 months of riding in stock form.
It has since evolved to my Cross Country Race bike. With it's extra short wheelbase, it climbs very well! Pretty nimble too. Not quite as light as a carbon frame, but I'm ok with it.
Old 05-21-20, 11:30 PM
linkeds2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zerogravity
I somewhat agree but I don't. I took my dual sport 8.4 everywhere at stock form. I did realize after riding both on the pavement and dirt I liked dirt more. So the MTB hardtale conversion started. The widest tires I had on the stock wheels were 29x2.2 front and 29.2.1 rears Kenda Slant 6's. With the trails here in Southern California, they worked fine. Also added a 750mm bar. Eventually I added a Rockshox Fork.
this was my set up after 6 months of riding in stock form.
It has since evolved to my Cross Country Race bike. With it's extra short wheelbase, it climbs very well! Pretty nimble too. Not quite as light as a carbon frame, but I'm ok with it.
good looking bike! I’m in the same boat as you, got a hybrid DS2 and realized after the fact that I like dirt riding more. So far I put 29x2.1 tires, race face Chester pedals, 750mm bar, and a 50mm stem on it.

I am really worried about going from a 63mm fork to a 100mm though. Did you do that to your hybrid? How did it feel afterwards?
Old 05-21-20, 11:35 PM
zerogravity
Trek DS 8.4 Rider!

Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linkeds2
good looking bike! I’m in the same boat as you, got a hybrid DS2 and realized after the fact that I like dirt riding more. So far I put 29x2.1 tires, race face Chester pedals, 750mm bar, and a 50mm stem on it.

I am really worried about going from a 63mm fork to a 100mm though. Did you do that to your hybrid? How did it feel afterwards?

It honestly felt perfect. I actually lowered the fork to 80mm for a little lower CG and easier climbing. But for a rougher trail I go back to 100mm. As far as handling, to me the sweet spot was adding 750mm bars and a 50mm stem. It felt just right after that.
Old 05-22-20, 04:16 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
DS 2 for recreational rides, wish it had wider tires for more off road, I have 700 x 38mm, the max I can go is 45mm width, not sure it would make much difference upgrading
Old 05-14-21, 06:29 AM
RUNNER555

Bikes: BMC Granfondo 01 and Tek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Sharp ride. I am contemplating upgrading my 2016 8.4. What wheelset and size did you use? Thanks.