Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2008 Trek XO1

Old 07-23-18, 01:11 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
2008 Trek XO1

Hi all, I just purchased a used 2008 Trek XO1. Before buying I checked bicyclebluebook.com and saw the bike was worth around $450 CAD in excellent condition. It was listed for $800 so I was skeptical going to see it. The seller used to work at Wild Rock, one of the best bike shops in town, and said he bought it new and built it up, spending nearly $2500 on it. I ended up paying $700. I don't know a whole lot about bikes but I believe he said it's all SRAM Rival (I think it's called a groupset?) and it looks to be in great condition. Anyway, what do you think of this purchase? I don't plan on doing anything too intense on it. It's my main form of transportation so I'll be commuting to work and around town and take the occasional hour or two ride along a rail trail or something like that.
Old 07-23-18, 01:24 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
a) bicycle bluebook is worse than useless. Their values are not based on any market reality.

b) that said, that's probably on the high side for a 10-year-old bike. Also pretty much every bike ever sold is "sold by an ex-mechanic" that really means nothing.

c) However, it's still a quality bike and it will make an good commuter simply because you can fit wider tires in there. I don't know if the XO-1 has mounts for fenders (if that sort of thing is important to you). At any rate you've bought it so enjoy it.
Old 07-23-18, 01:43 PM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Also pretty much every bike ever sold is "sold by an ex-mechanic" that really means nothing.
My first job ever was working as a full time bike mechanic. I was just a young guy who knew some things about bikes and got hired at a random shop.

So now I can say i'm an ex-mechanic, but really i'm just a random dude.

OP: just ride the bike.
Old 07-26-18, 12:39 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
I have a 2011 XO2 as my main gravel bike. It's pretty lightweight and fits a reasonably wide tire (40mm). I specifically got it due to its light weight and relatively normal bb height (ie, it's not super high like other cx bikes). Not great for commuting due to lack of eyelets but makes for a great gravel adventure bike otherwise. With a spare set of wheels and tires for the road it's almost as fast and nimble as a road bike.
Old 07-26-18, 01:23 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Also pretty much every bike ever sold is "sold by an ex-mechanic" that really means nothing.
At any rate you've bought it so enjoy it.
I took it in to the local community bike shop and the owner knows the guy who sold it to me. Said he barely rode it and that it was a steal!
Old 07-26-18, 01:26 PM
bicyclepost

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I have a 2011 XO2 as my main gravel bike. It's pretty lightweight and fits a reasonably wide tire (40mm). I specifically got it due to its light weight and relatively normal bb height (ie, it's not super high like other cx bikes). Not great for commuting due to lack of eyelets but makes for a great gravel adventure bike otherwise. With a spare set of wheels and tires for the road it's almost as fast and nimble as a road bike.
I haven't gotten to take it on a longer ride yet, just my short commute to work but I love it so far. Very light and fast even though I've got 35mm gravel tires on it. I just need a rack for it. Luckily it does have eyelets for one but the used racks at the community bike shop didn't fit. I picked up two bags at a thrift shop I'm hoping to make into panniers.
Old 07-26-18, 09:08 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Nice! The lack of eyelets on mine was my only minor complaint, but I guess different models/years do have eyelets.