Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Winter Transportation Plan

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 10-16-18, 04:48 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

As winter approaches, what's your transportation plan? Will you bike in the cold? Can you walk everywhere you need to go? Do you take transit for everything, work/shopping/etc.? What about ride-sharing? If you use ride-sharing and/or catch rides with friends and family who drive, do you try to minimize that or are you just happy you don't have to own/drive the car(s) you ride in?
Old 10-16-18, 05:23 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Have you ever posted on the legitimate Winter Cycling on Bike Forums? Or even know that it exists with a sizable number of posters?
Old 10-16-18, 11:38 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What's winter? I hear tell that it still happens in some other places. Hereabouts, we do cool and wet (not really winter and not really very wet or cool any more), followed by warm and wet, followed by fire season, and then back to cool and wet. Never hot, never cold, always wonderful to ride if the smoke doesn't happen to be where you are during fire season (good luck on that one this year).
Old 10-16-18, 11:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
"Winter " ended 1.5 months ago.

​​​​​​​But yes there is a winter forum here.
Old 10-17-18, 03:33 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I enjoy cooler temps....Fall and winter is my favourite time of the year to ride. Riding on ice is especially fun.
Old 10-17-18, 05:40 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Rowan
Have you ever posted on the legitimate Winter Cycling on Bike Forums? Or even know that it exists with a sizable number of posters?
No, I didn't actually. Thanks for letting me know. I really only pay attention to the LCF subforum because that's what I do, i.e. live car free. I posted a thread about winter so people for whom winter is approaching can discuss their transportation plans. I don't know how many posters here actually live car free, though. I think most are 'car-lite' and I wonder how much transportation biking they will do when the temperatures start going very low. It won't get very cold where I live so not much will change for me, besides being able to pedal a bit harder without sweating. I know some people here use studded tires on icy roads, etc. I know you and Machka live in the southern hemisphere, so your summer is approaching, not winter. Thanks for the tip on the winter forum; I may go check that out to see what kind of threads there are.
Old 10-17-18, 06:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

All the Forums:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php

The Winter Cycling Forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/

The Commuting Forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/
Old 10-17-18, 08:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
I plan to drive, ride, walk and take public transportation. Each decision will be guided by numerous factors. You never know. We may even get a December warm up into the 70s like a few years ago, allowing me to take a three-day bike tour.

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."--D.D. Eisenhower
Old 10-17-18, 09:14 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I plan to drive, ride, walk and take public transportation. Each decision will be guided by numerous factors. You never know. We may even get a December warm up into the 70s like a few years ago, allowing me to take a three-day bike tour.

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."--D.D. Eisenhower
This. It's really quite simple. As both @Rowan and @Machka point out, the details of coping with winter weather on a bicycle are well-covered in the Winter Cycling and Commuting sub-forums -- if the op is actually interested in those details. Absolutely no need for a thread about it here.
Old 10-17-18, 08:08 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I carry my daughter on the back of my e-bike. It's excellent in all weather Inc snow, but naturally it's not fair that she has to freeze.

For this year i've literally stretched the main frame a foot longer, it'll be safer as a SWB tandem. But even then, there will be more in the way of buses and taxis.

There's also winter attire to consider, for both of us.
Old 10-18-18, 01:39 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I ride a bike, as usual

I just ride different bikes with different clothing.
Old 10-18-18, 03:01 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by badger1
This. It's really quite simple. As both @Rowan and @Machka point out, the details of coping with winter weather on a bicycle are well-covered in the Winter Cycling and Commuting sub-forums -- if the op is actually interested in those details. Absolutely no need for a thread about it here.
It's just a general thread for people who LCF to talk about seasonal planning/prep. The other subforum is great if you are really looking for special tips and advice, but I just thought I'd post a thread here since winter is coming up and there are presumably at least a few people who LCF who read and post here.
Old 10-18-18, 03:27 PM
Rowan

Only in the northern hemisphere is winter coming up. In the southern hemisphere where Machka and I live, we have just lived through winter and are now anticipating summer once spring is almost completed.

My medical challenge put aside a lot of the normal riding opportunities we might have had during peak winter, but we still got one of two in during that period. We also did have to put aside a plan to visit Machka's family in Vancouver, Canada, because of my workplace accident.

Where I currently live, winter is not particularly harsh; where I used to live in the southern end of the Great Divide range in Australia, it used to be more interesting, particularly as I was car free for about half of that time (in a total period of 12 straight years). Rain was the major issue, but the occasional widespread snowfall could be interesting although not prohibitive.
Old 10-19-18, 10:21 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Rowan
Only in the northern hemisphere is winter coming up. In the southern hemisphere where Machka and I live, we have just lived through winter and are now anticipating summer once spring is almost completed.

My medical challenge put aside a lot of the normal riding opportunities we might have had during peak winter, but we still got one of two in during that period. We also did have to put aside a plan to visit Machka's family in Vancouver, Canada, because of my workplace accident.

Where I currently live, winter is not particularly harsh; where I used to live in the southern end of the Great Divide range in Australia, it used to be more interesting, particularly as I was car free for about half of that time (in a total period of 12 straight years). Rain was the major issue, but the occasional widespread snowfall could be interesting although not prohibitive.
You and Machka have such a broad range of experiences, from extreme cold in both hemispheres to wildfire to this insane accident you survived and went through. Although I have often had disagreements with you two, I am also impressed and interested to read about your experiences. Thanks for being online and sharing these amazing life stories.
Old 10-19-18, 02:59 PM
Rowan

Thanks for that post, tandempower. It was thoughtful and worthwhile.
Old 10-20-18, 09:25 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
As winter approaches, what's your transportation plan?
My transportation plan has been the same for the last few years. My weekly transportation routine is pretty much the same all year round.... I bike 3-4 times per week and drive 2-3 times per week...Winter weather doesn't dictate what form of transportation I decide to use, I don't have a problem biking through ice and snow.
Old 10-20-18, 07:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I take the bus year round.

I would cycle to work in the summer on occasional days, but there's nowhere to put my bicycle when I get there.
Old 10-23-18, 05:32 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Machka
I take the bus year round.

I would cycle to work in the summer on occasional days, but there's nowhere to put my bicycle when I get there.
Would you be riding your racing bike or an in-town 'beater?' Surely there must be someplace nearby you could lock an old bike and walk a block or two without worrying about the bike all day.
Old 10-23-18, 07:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Would you be riding your racing bike or an in-town 'beater?' Surely there must be someplace nearby you could lock an old bike and walk a block or two without worrying about the bike all day.
Yes ... we've been offered bicycle parking nearly 1 km away ... if there's room there.

I'm not that keen on cycling 17-18 km (one way), up and over a large hill, through busy morning traffic ... and then having to leave my bicycle in a public bicycle parking area and walk 1 km to work.

If there's not room there, then there are about 5 spots over at the hospital. We can use those if they aren't taken. Any time I've walked past, and I've walked past a lot in the last few months ... they're taken.

Otherwise, there might be room at a carpark about 1 km or more in another direction.

We're free to keep riding around till we find something ... but try not to be too late to work.

We do have the rubbish cage in my building too ... a few bicycles can go in behind the bins and cleaning supplies. But it is wide open to whoever walks up the alley, and there are only about 10 spots for the 10-storey building. They fill up really early.

Last edited by Machka; 10-23-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-23-18, 08:28 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
We have a terrible bike theft problem locally and I have to say I'm pretty happy I can park my bike in my actual office.
Old 10-23-18, 11:47 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm grateful that I work at a university campus with endless rows of bicycle racks. When the weather is nice, I sometimes have to park on the far side of the building. After the first morning below about 40F, usually early to mid October, spots become available by the door. After the snow sticks, I can park anywhere I want.

I'm also grateful that I live in a low-theft environment. Most bike thefts are either crimes of opportunity (unlocked bikes) or professional jobs that target high end bicycles.
Old 10-23-18, 01:08 PM
badger1

Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
We have a terrible bike theft problem locally and I have to say I'm pretty happy I can park my bike in my actual office.
This. At my university we (faculty) fortunately have private offices, large enough to accommodate a bike. If I were unable to bring my bike inside I would not ride to work; bike theft is a minor industry here both on-campus and city-wide. We have a few of those enclosed locker-things, but only a very few.

Administration makes noises from time to time about prohibiting bikes' being brought into buildings/offices, but fortunately we are a very large, unionized faculty; many are cyclists. That prohibition will never fly.
Old 10-23-18, 05:49 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Machka
Yes ... we've been offered bicycle parking nearly 1 km away ... if there's room there.

I'm not that keen on cycling 17-18 km (one way), up and over a large hill, through busy morning traffic ... and then having to leave my bicycle in a public bicycle parking area and walk 1 km to work.

If there's not room there, then there are about 5 spots over at the hospital. We can use those if they aren't taken. Any time I've walked past, and I've walked past a lot in the last few months ... they're taken.

Otherwise, there might be room at a carpark about 1 km or more in another direction.

We're free to keep riding around till we find something ... but try not to be too late to work.

We do have the rubbish cage in my building too ... a few bicycles can go in behind the bins and cleaning supplies. But it is wide open to whoever walks up the alley, and there are only about 10 spots for the 10-storey building. They fill up really early.
Are there bike lanes, or would you be in the same lane with the cars for 16km? I do ride on roads without bike lanes, but it is irritating to have cars swerving around you all the time. I much prefer riding in a striped bike lane or other paved shoulder.
Old 10-23-18, 07:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Half and half
Old 10-24-18, 02:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Are there bike lanes, or would you be in the same lane with the cars for 16km? I do ride on roads without bike lanes, but it is irritating to have cars swerving around you all the time. I much prefer riding in a striped bike lane or other paved shoulder.

This is taken from the top of the big hill I mentioned. It's about 10 km to get there.

And the shoulder disappears about there for a while as well. A screaming descent with no shoulder ... for a while. After a bit, we can descend in the bus lane before we're dumped into the main street traffic of the city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.