Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs
Reload this Page >

AC Separation Surgery: How Long Till You Were Back Riding?

Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 10:32 PM
ryan786i

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Explore, 2011 Raleigh Cadent FT0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

So I managed a type V AC separation in mid-August. Had surgery at the end of August to fix it and was told I'd be in a sling six weeks. As of my most recent follow-up I'm up to eight weeks of sling before movement/PT starts. Any of you who've had this done, how long was it before you were back on the bike? Were your doctors similarly cautious? I sometimes feel like it's excessive, but surely there's a reason for the restraint? I'm just getting increasingly depressed I'm missing prime bike commute weather and may not be back out there before full on winter hits.
Old 09-28-16, 05:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I had a total separation but no surgery, and it took me a long time to start riding, because the nature of the strain cycling puts on the shoulder joint.

With a separation, road shock pushes the arm back and works the whatever, the acromioclavicular joint? so it stresses the injured and in this case repaired portion of the joint directly. (I recently cracked my collarbone on the other side and found I could get back on the bike much more quickly. Different stress direction.)

I didn't have a supervised rehab program, and I didn't have surgery, so my situation isn't that similar to yours, but I did what made sense to me---I let pain and discomfort tell me when to do more or less.

I missed a lot of riding time, but I didn't really regret it, because healing fully made more sense than doing more damage and thus extending the healing process (I used the opposite tack with my collarbone and have rebroken it twice, which has extended the healing period painfully---though luckily I can still ride some.)

I think I lost over three months all told with my separation, and even then I came back too soon---because of pain I put most of my weight on my other arm and thus injured the elbow on that side, a chronic injury that still troubles me a over a decade later.

I'd say, take the extra time, and make sure to do a full rehab before riding. Build up the whole upper body before getting back on the bike regularly, or you might end up regretting it for decades, as I do.
Old 10-07-16, 03:53 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
New shoulder joint being installed on Monday, under 1.5 hours for operation, 2-3 weeks doc says I'll be OKed to get back on bike and 6 weeks a century.
Old 10-17-16, 07:18 PM
ryan786i

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I had a total separation but no surgery, and it took me a long time to start riding, because the nature of the strain cycling puts on the shoulder joint.

With a separation, road shock pushes the arm back and works the whatever, the acromioclavicular joint? so it stresses the injured and in this case repaired portion of the joint directly. (I recently cracked my collarbone on the other side and found I could get back on the bike much more quickly. Different stress direction.)

I didn't have a supervised rehab program, and I didn't have surgery, so my situation isn't that similar to yours, but I did what made sense to me---I let pain and discomfort tell me when to do more or less.

I missed a lot of riding time, but I didn't really regret it, because healing fully made more sense than doing more damage and thus extending the healing process (I used the opposite tack with my collarbone and have rebroken it twice, which has extended the healing period painfully---though luckily I can still ride some.)

I think I lost over three months all told with my separation, and even then I came back too soon---because of pain I put most of my weight on my other arm and thus injured the elbow on that side, a chronic injury that still troubles me a over a decade later.

I'd say, take the extra time, and make sure to do a full rehab before riding. Build up the whole upper body before getting back on the bike regularly, or you might end up regretting it for decades, as I do.
I kept forgetting to reply. Thanks for your response. I'm still not able to ride yet, or totally out of sling or starting PT. I've discovered the shoulder seems rather stable, if quite stiff, now, and I use my arm a little more when showering and dressing. My sense is my surgeon was maybe being super cautious; he used less hardware to secure it than I expected so that might be part of it.

I'm hoping PT will approve cycling relatively quickly, depending on how things go. I seem to have decent range of motion from what I can tell so hopefully it's not a horrific journey back.
Old 10-17-16, 07:21 PM
ryan786i

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
New shoulder joint being installed on Monday, under 1.5 hours for operation, 2-3 weeks doc says I'll be OKed to get back on bike and 6 weeks a century.
It's so funny how seemingly worse surgeries can potentially have simpler recoveries. I expected a little old AC joint to be not a big deal, but to get it back where it needs to be for stability is such a specific thing it proves to be tricky.
Old 10-17-16, 07:42 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by ryan786i
It's so funny how seemingly worse surgeries can potentially have simpler recoveries. I expected a little old AC joint to be not a big deal, but to get it back where it needs to be for stability is such a specific thing it proves to be tricky.
I re-quoted my original post because I was WAY OFF!!! New shoulder WAS installed a week ago this morning. Tonight I rode 13 miles, last Saturday was a 68 mile ride and Friday was a 13 mile test the shoulder out ride.

Can't believe the lack of pain but have yet actively tested the available range of movement. Had PT guy last Thursday move the arm a great deal and no pain but it needs the extra time for stitching integrity to take place before I actively pursue movement. PT on Wednesday and new exercises.
Old 10-17-16, 08:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan786i
I've discovered the shoulder seems rather stable, if quite stiff, now ...
Yes, it seems shoulders stiffen up quickly and unlock slowly. I found that if I continually (normally, not every day but a few times a week) exercised, my shoulder got back to 90 or 05 % flexibility and full strength.

Rehab is just rehab ... it sucks but not as bad as sitting around waiting to start rehab.
Old 06-15-18, 03:13 AM
Jayjay33

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I re-quoted my original post because I was WAY OFF!!! New shoulder WAS installed a week ago this morning. Tonight I rode 13 miles, last Saturday was a 68 mile ride and Friday was a 13 mile test the shoulder out ride.

Can't believe the lack of pain but have yet actively tested the available range of movement. Had PT guy last Thursday move the arm a great deal and no pain but it needs the extra time for stitching integrity to take place before I actively pursue movement. PT on Wednesday and new exercises.
exactly what injury did you have? Grade 3 or grade 5 separation of the AC Joint? Your recovery seems remarkable if even unbelievable. I just had surgery for a grade 5 separation on Monday. To even contemplate getting on a bike after a week would be rediculous. I've been warned by my surgeon and PT to only do simple ROM exercises for the first 2 weeks and then wean myself out if the sling. Not to lift anything for the first 6 weeks and then start physio. My ROM exercises are excruciatingly painful. What technique did your surgeon use?
Old 06-15-18, 05:39 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Jayjay33
exactly what injury did you have? Grade 3 or grade 5 separation of the AC Joint? Your recovery seems remarkable if even unbelievable. I just had surgery for a grade 5 separation on Monday. To even contemplate getting on a bike after a week would be rediculous. I've been warned by my surgeon and PT to only do simple ROM exercises for the first 2 weeks and then wean myself out if the sling. Not to lift anything for the first 6 weeks and then start physio. My ROM exercises are excruciatingly painful. What technique did your surgeon use?
No separation. I fortunately had a total shoulder replacement due to years of bone on bone. All tissues were in great shape and attachments were fine. ANY REPAIR of a tear or separation will require more time and caution for recovery. Following Dr.'s and PT's directions no matter how good you feel is vital.

Good Luck.
Old 06-15-18, 05:50 AM
Jayjay33

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No separation. I fortunately had a total shoulder replacement due to years of bone on bone. All tissues were in great shape and attachments were fine. ANY REPAIR of a tear or separation will require more time and caution for recovery. Following Dr.'s and PT's directions no matter how good you feel is vital.

Good Luck.
Ah ok, sorry I thought you separated your AC joint. Apologies. Yeah, I'm going to listen to my Surgeon's and PT's advice and stick to it. Wish you all the best in the future.
Old 06-15-18, 05:59 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Jayjay33
Ah ok, sorry I thought you separated your AC joint. Apologies. Yeah, I'm going to listen to my Surgeon's and PT's advice and stick to it. Wish you all the best in the future.
Just had a friend have his tear repaired and he followed directions winding up healing faster than originally anticipated. I'm doing so well that I'm considering a 3rd IRONMAN triathlon in 2020 after my 70th birthday.