Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Personal log

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Personal log

Old 09-29-14, 08:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
9-27-14 drove to the MV ferry, they let me park at Woods Hole cuz I had a bike and they weren't running busses w bike racks to the other lots NICE, it's been 20 years since I traveled by bike so it was a trick to remember how to pack light. used my Timbuktu commuter trunk. temps were warm and I was overdressed but only cuz I was late. fortunately I planned for variations and was fine. got over in VH and biked to the house in OB, just a couple miles, sat and chatted then ran down to South Beach, Katama and back. not a lot of miles, no hills, gotta come back and do more like when I was in my 20s ... 30 yrs ago ugh. some intersections are just a disaster like heading from VH to OB

22.99 miles
22.1 max
12.8 avrg
1 hr 47 min saddle time

this includes do and from 2 ferries, some dirt roads and some stops.

on my way back from Edgartown I saw what appeared to be a motorcycle bicycle accident. 1 ambulance, 2 motorcycles and several bikes. there's a section at the end of the straight run south from OB where the bike route takes an abrupt jog to the right across traffic and past a shopping area driveway. poorly marked. poorly planned. hope it wasn't a kid, or very serious. I saw many families out for a day of fun

the water at our secret beach was just gorgeous
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
walking off ferry.jpg (109.0 KB, 233 views)
inside ferry.jpg (84.6 KB, 234 views)
from ferry.jpg (100.1 KB, 235 views)
at ferry.jpg (103.0 KB, 234 views)
bike to ferry.jpg (105.2 KB, 233 views)
VH intersection.jpg (101.5 KB, 233 views)
lamberts cove feet.jpg (100.5 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-04-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 04:47 PM
rumrunn6

10/12/14
upper 50s lovely Sunday afternoon. made the right choice for long sleeves, shorts full fingered gloves. long shadows but quiet streets cuz this was Sunday of Columbus Day weekend and everyone is out of town. so in home from college so we grilled chicken for him and wife made a risotto he likes. tail end of severe gout attack that lasting over 2 weeks and is still not fully resolved. wore fisherman sandals with socks. camera been finicky lately. should be enough room on card hoping it's a battery charge issue. will leave it plugged in all day today and see how it behaves after

home to dest w a couple stops and some rd construction
13.3 miles
31.6 max (on Landham Rd off Rt20. was in hi gear for the climb and stayed there for the turn and the descent on Landham)
15.3 avrg
52 min

back home
26.43 miles
31.6 max (so no gain and no surprise the trip back is mostly uphill)
14.5 avrg
1hr 49min (took forever to get out of the house but at least I got a couple hrs of exercise today)
Attached Images
grilled for rv.jpg (108.5 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-13-14 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-16-14, 02:19 PM
rumrunn6

11/16/14

30-42 degrees, no wind, cloudy, toe warmers, new tri shorts, headwind pants, fleece base, long sleeve box-weave bike shirt, thin cycling jacket, Outdoor Research skull cap over the ears, texting gloves under camo windproof gloves. everything was good but at the half way, I noticed a broken spoke and realized my wheel was out of true. don't know if it all happened at once or if it had happened earlier in my ride. daughter rescued me at the mall. took the wheels off and put the bike in the back seat and the wheels in the trunk. the bike would have fit n the trunk if I didn't have a rear rack. got some chain grease on the back seat, disappointed with myself but it's an old car, but still I should have known better

13.3 miles
27 mph max
14.4 avrg
55 min saddle time

brought the wheel to Landry's. they have to order the bladed spoke. labor should be $35 and the spoke should be $2-$3. should get it back in a bout a week. too bad it was only half a ride but it was a lively hr of outdoor exercise. just what I needed after a 12 hr day, yesterday round tripping to NY. wondering if this is my last ride of the year. with the wheel off, I might clean the chain, but not today. edit the wheel was ready the next day at noon, they had the spoke in stock

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-18-14 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 05:55 PM
rumrunn6

picked up my wheel, $40 for the spoke and truing. wiped down the chain with windex wipes, also wiped the wheels gears but they weren't bad. got both wheels back on and found some adjustment was needed, center the calipers and tweak the derailleurs. lubed the chain and got going. temps were 50+ today so 2 simple layers up top and pants w full fingered gloves worked fine. the Concord rotary was fun as usual. went up through Acton, Concord, Carlisle, Bedford, then down through Concord and Acton again. one of my regular 2 hour loops.

1/2 way
16.6 miles
33 mph max
17.1 avrg (payback for all that gym work, nice to see it on what might be my last ride of the year)
58 minutes

took my regular break with chocolate covered raisins and this time downed some mint chocolate muscle milk (pretty tasty), transferred water from my 2nd bottle to my favorite bottle and texted my location and expected ETA

whole trip
28.5 miles
33 max
15.5 avrg
1 hr 50 minutes saddle time

Concord Rotary 11 23 14 - YouTube
Attached Images
001.jpg (68.2 KB, 234 views)
002.jpg (39.9 KB, 234 views)
003.jpg (29.4 KB, 233 views)
004.jpg (33.5 KB, 233 views)
005.jpg (60.5 KB, 233 views)
006.jpg (64.9 KB, 233 views)
007.jpg (96.4 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-23-14 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-25-15, 05:32 AM
rumrunn6

16 miles on 5/24/15 Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, wow, pretty late first ride of the year. made it short just in case I wasn't ready for several hours. been so busy with beach front whale watch hikes, dealing with drilling out a broken bolt, post winter 2014-15 spring cleanup and gardening, 1 kid coming home from college and another's end of Sr HS year activities. the next 2 weeks will be even busier. also been busy fixing things around the house and then when I got back from my ride had to diagnose a starting problem and then replace the battery in my daughters car, in fact she called while I was riding, wanted to know where I was cuz her car wouldn't start and she needed a ride home from work. ever try to diagnose and buy a battery around 5pm on a Sunday? anyway got that done by sundown but still needed to drag out lights.

very pleasant ride to Concord and back. brought my camera cuz I wanted to visit the Bald Eagle nest I saw earlier in the spring. alas they seemed to have moved on but as a tribute here are a couple snaps from early April
Attached Images
landing small P1000068 (2).jpg (100.1 KB, 229 views)
pair 1 small P1000071 (2).jpg (98.3 KB, 230 views)
pair 2 small P1000054 (2).jpg (95.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 08-01-15, 07:17 AM
rumrunn6

without question the worst biking season ever for me. just too much going on. current projects, refinancing and car shopping. finally got out for my 2nd ride of the year when the boss gave me a surprise Friday off. 90 degrees and against my better judgement got out in the mid-day heat. wifey was having company for lunch so I had to straighten and clean. decided to bike to an area that I want to work in cuz it's a straight shot out by bike and the perfect bike commute distance, well maybe a mile or two too long based on past experience but I made it in less than an hour, so it's close to perfect.

1st half
home to Crosby Dr Bedford (Burlington border)
14.8 miles
28.7 mph max (not bad considering this route is mostly level)
15.9 avrg (happy w/ that)
56 min

it was 90 degrees and I was glad to find shade next to an office building. heard from my son who had just summited Mt Washington w/ his friends. sat down at the curb of a corner parking space out of the way and laid down for a couple minutes. quick snack, some drink, 15 min in the shade then a quick roll 2/10 mile to a gas station for better snacks and drink and a longer rest. disconnected the computer for that short jog, but back on for the trip home. about the 27 mile mark I could not actively work through some leg cramping so I had to stop and get off, rest, massage and hydrate. I was so intent on making sure my son was nutrified w/ electrolytes that I forgot mine, duh

whole ride stats
30.22 miles
28.7 mph max
13.8 average
2hrs 11 min saddle time

got home and had a nice soak in the tub wondering how wonder boy was doing on the mountain, and would later hear they made it down successfully as well. went to a Fleetwood Mac tribute band concert and after the moon rose we also watched the international space station fly by, then out for a veggie burger, beer and watched friends karaoke sing and even got hit on in front of wifey! hahaha

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-01-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-07-15, 06:13 PM
rumrunn6

thanks to wifey got in 22 miles starting off route 62 in Bedford on Minuteman trail to Fresh Pond shopping area before turning back. nicely shaded trail thru Lexington & Arlington. temps in the 80s I think but not humid
Old 01-24-16, 10:57 AM
rumrunn6

glad and surprised I got out for another ride. weird that it took the excitement of an impending NYC blizzard to trigger the go-ride-reflex. a clear rail trail and temps expected at 28 helped too. little did I know the temps would drop to 22. it's been a while since i did any cold weather riding but I still had my old commuting gear and a new bike rack for the new car. sold off a bunch of bikes incl my studded, fendered commuter so I took the newish bike out for a blistering ride in bitter cold. in my rush to gather gear and get out I forgot my computer but since this is a well documented rail trail it was easy to get the distance. my average speed is in question but that's ok

Minuteman Rail Trail, Bedford to Arlington
18 miles round trip
map says should take 47 minutes one-way
I was out for at least 2 hours with a couple stops

glad the Lexington Visitors' Center was open to get a pitstop & dry off a little
used 1 thick sock with toe warmers but the warmers quit prematurely due to the tight space, guess I should have used roomier shoes
after Lexington I was worried the ride to Arlington would be a mistake cuz the snow picked up intensity, but I put my head down and worked it, in the drops
used my trusty shower cap, balaclava and cheap Home Depot shop glasses
trishorts, thin running tights as base and Novara Headwind pants w suspenders were perfect
glove liners and roomy winter gloves were fine once I reached an equilibrium
up top I wound up with more layers than I remember needing in the past but it all worked out fine. to do it again I'd rework the torso plan
got back to car and home just in time to go out to dinner when the nor'easter wound up into the Boston/Cambridge area. my friend had a hard time driving his Subaru with all seasons and summer wiper blades. at one point he got out of the way of as fire engine and snow plow by passing a confused taxi and pulled over on the wrong side of the rd. and he heard from the fire engine driver! I was safer on my bike and the rail trail!

pumped the 120 psi 23s to 100 and that was fine. at one point on my way back I felt slow and though my rear tire was under-inflated but I couldn't squeeze the tire with my fingers, so I kept the Co2 in my rack trunk. didn't use lights to Arlington but thought I'd give them a try to the 9 miles back. I also had to make room for the leftover muffin and bread I got at the cafe. don't know why but couldn't switch my magicshine from steady to strobe. also couldn't turn it off or disconnect the wires when I got back to the car. had to use pliers back in my basement.

GOODBYE PHOTOBUCKET - YOU STINK

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-11-17 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-28-16, 04:28 PM
rumrunn6

2/28/2016
car rack to Bedford Minuteman rail trail start
55 degrees & breezy
crowded & dangerous MUP between 2-4pm
socks, shoes, fingered gloves, trishorts, Novara pants, fleece shirt, jacket w zipoff sleeves, cloth headsweat, cycling headband & brought a cap & flannel shirt for the 1/2 way break
at Lexington I removed the sleeves & headband
lots of stops & restarts got to the "Kickstand" in under an hour
17.497 miles
max 20.9 mph
avrg 12.9 mph ugh
saddle time 1hr 21min
Old 07-03-16, 08:53 AM
rumrunn6

6/25/16 - 7/1/16
sad to say it took a family vacation to get me back on the bike. been busy this spring getting house ready for insulation work and mold inspections. glad to say everything went off without a hitch. funny expression cuz I had to install a hitch to get everyone's bike to the vineyard. last time we only got 1 family ride in, but this time we did it twice including 1 trip to a beach. 22 miles total may not be impressive but family time is priceless. and both kids, who aren't kids anymore, said they would do it again and a 3rd trip would be acceptable next time. if daughter didn't bring a friend for half our time, we would have for sure.

I had plotted out multiple beaches where parking is iffy, with other parking within biking distance and added them as favorites into my old TomTom. so on about 5 beach trips I brought my bike in case I had to drop everyone off and bike back. alas we always found parking. I still used the TomTom on the rides tho cuz it helped bypass Circuit Ave in downtown OB and there's a number of lefts and rights to get through the 'gingerbread campground' neighborhood to our house and it helped keep us on course

EDIT: due to photobucket changing policies, this post no longer has photos

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 04:12 PM
rumrunn6

last solo ride 55 degrees, today maybe 90! rode down to REI to see if they had some take a look clip on mirrors but they were sold out.

round trip 27 miles
30.5mph max
12.3mph avrg
2hrs 11 min saddle time

had to detour at Sudbury due to the 4th of July parade. this brought me further west on route 20, making me ride more than I like on that rd. back east. made a stop part way home for nourishment & liquids at a corner convenience store. was gonna get sport snacks at REI but they were short staffed at the checkout and the line was long. no pics strictly business today

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-16 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 06:16 AM
rumrunn6

having been in this office for 5 years, and doing a handful of round trip rides to the office on scattered weekends, I finally did a split commute on a weekday. drove in yesterday and rode bike home, rode bike in this morning and will drive home tonight. I further complicated things by also pre-packing gym bags for my usual lunchtime weight training, for two days. that winds up being a funny amount of duffle bags & towels, etc.

the ride home yesterday was very hot, high 80s I think
21.9 miles
26.9mph max
13.4mph avrg
1hr 37min saddle time no stops except a couple traffic lights and busy intersections

at about 15 miles I remember thinking yeah, that was nice, but I'm done riding, not tired just not interested in the monotony

the ride in today was refreshingly chilly, tho it didn't take long to break a sweat
22 miles
31.2mph max (surprised by a nice curved hill close to the office)
13.4mph avrg (remarkably exactly the same as the ride home)
1hr 38min saddle time (I did make 1 brief pit stop behind a shed behind a med ctr that surprisingly had no cars in any of the lots, maybe cuz I left ridiculously early)

at about 10 miles I began thinking this was fun but can I do something else now?

having bike commuted 17 miles ea way for yrs, and then switching to 13 miles ea way for a cpl more, I was spoiled. as of this writing 22 miles ea way is still not appealing. getting home late isn't bad cuz I usually go to the gym after work anyway, but getting up extra early is annoying for sure. but still, I might like to do this again. choosing 'July 4th week' was smart traffic-wise. also boss-man wasn't around yesterday so I cut out at 4:30

was nice to get into my car, drive to the gym to shower up. still had time to kill for a quick trip to Market Basket for miscellaneous items, and also a sandwich for lunch. happy my large freezer pack is still cold in the cooler I left in the car from yesterday. a car is a wonderful locker room

been enjoying my Subaru brand 2 bike rack. nice not messing with the stability straps the Swagman Titan needs

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-11-16, 06:41 AM
rumrunn6

PART 1 - riding home
Sunday 4pm 7/10/16
packed some stuff in the car for Monday & parked it at work. rode the bike home. cool temps (mid-upper 60s?) & cloudy w/ threats of mist. traffic light & I felt quite good the whole time. Monday am forecast to be the same, maybe cooler. finished the set of podcasts I downloaded & had to get at least two new ones cuz they are about an hr pr episode. took some supplements, 1/2 glass of red wine & had a hot shower

had to make 1 brief stop near home to adjust saddle which periodically slips to a nose-up position

21.9 miles
26.2 mph max
14.2 mph avrg
1hr 32 min wow, I thought I felt fast but this is really good and a new PR, for this route (I think)

lots of the time I was cruising the flats at 17 & 18mph

PART 2 - riding to the office
Monday 5am 7/11/16
the ride in was cool, mid-upper 50s. I wisely wore a long sleeve jersey over my usual jersey. when I got home last night it started to spit and forecast was for rain, so I ditched the bike in the basement. this morning I felt noisy taking it out of the bulkhead. maybe if I do this again I'll keep it outside but cover it. that's what I used to do until the temps fell below freezing. there was minor rain last night but not a drop this morning. news reported spotty fog but I didn't see any.

traffic delightfully light especially though the Concords, after the 1/2 way mark there was one suspicious white pickup that did a (closer than necessary) drive by. there was no opposing traffic so he had plenty of room to move over, or even drive down the center of his lane but he was well right in his lane. I was on the shoulder, a wide shoulder delineated by a solid white line. the streets need sweeping cuz these shoulders are loaded with cr*p. I may have been a little left of center within this marked shoulder area, but nowhere near the white line. so I don't know what that buzhead's issue was. technically I wouldn't call it a "buzzing" but I'll keep my eye out for a white p/u in the future in that area

got to the office with plenty of time to drive to the gym to shower up, get a sandwich at the Walmart Subway & some miscellaneous items for home, fill the gas tank, post office to mail a framed pic of my diseased uncle P. to my Mom, & a McD's large coffee. I kept my fluids to a minimum this morning and that kept me from having to make a pit stop along the way.

21.9 miles
32.1 mph max (guess I anticipated that hill ... :-)
14.4 mph avrg
1hr 31min saddle time (wonder if I can shave another minute off this)

edit: just remembered there was one other minor interaction with a car. this was as I was cruising on the overpass for route 3. not sure if it was my fault for not "riding large" or just a car drivers inability to decide what to do. it was a large suburban type SUV and they were moving very fast, like the speed they would use to merge ONTO a freeway, not exit a local road for an entrance ramp. quess they didn't realize how fast I was going or didn't want to slow down and tuck in behind me so they maybe sped up to pass me in front of me. I think this is called a right hook. they cleared me with plenty of room, but only cuz they were going so fast. maybe a helmet mirror would help me see this kind of thing coming (and I could slow down for them?). before going into this area I did take a look behind me but obviously after I looked this car came from a distance quite quickly

I am the orange line and the car is the red line here

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 07:08 AM
rumrunn6

7-16-16 took a hot ride from Bedford to Arlington on "the Minuteman" w Wifey, approx 18 miles roundtrip. stopped as we usually do at the Kickstand Cafe, this time for an ice'd coffee and scone. tried out the new helmet mirror, and handlebar mount for the sport cam. I would discover the next day while trying to make it really tight that the stud in the sport cam stripped a little because it was plastic. I replaced it with the dash mount that came with the sport cam. all the Polaroid studs are metal. but I had to use zip ties and duck tape to adapt the dash mount for handlebars. worked great tho. looking over the bike I discovered the rear tire is no longer rounded, but quite flat at the center and the front tire has started to separate where the two colors meet. the sidewalls also have some dry rot cracking. since I recently bought some flexible crazy glue from England I tried it out and put another 44 miles on them, but I'm going to replace them this week. during the ride I took note how Wifey mounts and dismounts her Trek FX 7.3. and there's no question she will benefit from the used Trek Stagger I just bought her. I hope she likes the color. on the fence about adding the rack, she doesn't usually use it because she swings her leg over the saddle. with the Stagger mixte type frame maybe she'll take advantage and I'll put the rack on. after all that is confirmed I'll sell the 7.3

simply outstanding, this is upon discovery

this is immediately after applying the adhesive

the next day after riding it 22 miles, it held up great

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 07:30 AM
rumrunn6

the ride home from work Sunday 7/17/16 was uneventful & par for the course. temps in the highs 80s about 2:30pm, 22miles, 27.3 max 14.3 avrg 1hr 32min

the ride in Monday 7/18/16 was rough, hot, sweaty & awkward for some reason or combination of reasons, oh well it is what it is. we can't appreciate the easy days without the tough ones, right? tried waking later (4:30am) & leaving later (5:30am which turned into 5:40 by time my wheels were spinning) the plan was to avoid being ridiculously early but wound up wishing I had maybe 15 more minutes to do a cpl things, also there was more traffic cuz it was later. partly cuz I had a slower than usual ride and also had a cpl awkward stops, so the door-to-door took longer 21.9 miles 31.5 max (so much for going slower on that hill with the bad tire huh?) 14.1 avrg 1hr 33min saddle time but that doesn't take into account the longer door-to-door time. I should try adding that as a metric

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-25-16, 08:15 AM
rumrunn6

7/23/16 10.14 miles w Wifey on the Hudson rail trail. pretty much all uphill heading out & all downhill heading home. temps in mid 90s w/ high humidity. 1st ride with her new Trek FX Stagger 7.0 to be sure she liked it & wanted to keep it. She's very happy with it & I don't have to be present while she mounts & dismounts. however after 5 miles she was done & needed rest & to sit on a bench. made it home but I think she got some heat exhaustion. not sure what she had for breakfast, so maybe she bonked a little too. only maxed at 23.3, 9.2 for an avrg & 1hr 6min peddling. then she planned something more epic for us
Old 07-25-16, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

7/24/16 26.6 miles w Wifey Dear 18.3 max 10.0 avrg 2hrs 39min peddling
Wifey wanted to see the starting pt of the CCRT in S. Dennis. she has ridden lots in Eastham & Wellfleet with the family so this was a project of her planning. she decided 13.3 miles to Orleans was a good place to quit, rest, have lunch & recharge. we got up early, got on the rd early so we could do some beaching too. afterwards we grabbed some drinks & a nosh at The Beachcomber, jumped in the ocean with the sharks & finished with one of our favorite ponds. almost sad w/o the kids but they had to work

love the aroma of the CCRT, pine needles & sand, etc. even tho it was in the 90s back home we enjoyed high 70s & plenty of shade

Nickerson State Park is 10 miles from the S.Dennis parking lot & has bathrooms, a map & camping

this is a pond in Harwich, so tempting but we had a plan

great coffee shop in Orleans, but we bought sandwiches at the whole foods store down the street & came back for a shady seat & ice'd coffee

back to business, very enjoyable ride back, she just might let me buy her real cycling shorts. don't know what this vehicle was, the kids were having a good time, not so sure about the parents, tho!

the Coma', so many memories w/ so many ppl, but still fun just the two of us. had a double tequila, 2 beers & crabcakes, Wifey had 1 Titos & a salad ... lol

be shark smart ... wtf?

oh yeah, felt as perfect as it looks & not a dorsal fin in sight

only things missing here is friends, family & a cpl rafts

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-01-16, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

took a break last week due to sore wrist from falling watering the grass ;(

7/31/16 (5pmish)
ride home from office, hot & humid, wore a headsweat, sportcam needed resetting but I didn't have a paperclip
21.7 miles
28.9 max
14.7 avrg
1hr 28min saddle time (new personal record possibly due to new tires?)
door to door journey time 1hr 33 min

8/1/16 5am
ride in to office, thought it would be cool but 74, so wore my usual short sleeve shirt, temp at office 69, still humid enough to produce plenty of sweat, wore a headsweat. lots of stops to reset sportcam, not sure why, brought a paperclip w/ me due to same issue last nite. also drank too much w/ breakfast so had to pitstop. started the ride in some real darkness, used steady bright beam to start & switched to strobe later on. also wore my snapon refelctive ankle bands
21.7 miles
32mph max (that's nice)
13.9 avrg (that's not)
1hr 34min saddle time
door to door journey time 1hr 40min

maybe I should have kept the lane instead of letting this car pull up along side me at 32mph going into a curve just before he had to pull over! as he was pacing me into the curve I shouted to him: "hurry up!" because I needed some more real estate to safely navigate the curve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0P...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 07:07 AM
rumrunn6

8/7/16
office to home
21.5 miles
31.6 max
14.6 avrg
1hr 28min saddle time
door-to-door journey time 1hr 33min
warm ride, dark to arrive at home 8:17pm - used headlight steady/high last cpl miles

8/8/16
home to office
21.5 miles
34.3 max
14.5 avrg
1hr 29min saddle time
door-to-door journey time 1hr 31min
cool ride in the high 50s but still wore just short sleeves
dark to start 5:05am - used headlight steady/high 1st 8 miles?
- something is going on with my rear strobe - maybe the battery springs need to be tensioned
- something is going on with my left drop bar strobe - the bar tape seems to be rotating and taking my lite mount with it. the lite now rides upsidedown, head scratcher (turns out to be just the electrical tape I used, went back to zip strips and all is well)
- something is going on with my sportcam screw mount, can't seem to tighten it, disappointing no pics or vids from morning ride cuz I reset & recharged the unit & emptied th card of all vids & pics from this summer. cam appeared to be ready to record w/o any repetitive resetting (turns out I just needed to use the bar mount that cam with the camera)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-16-16 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 07:16 AM
rumrunn6

8/14/16
office to home
hot 94 degrees 5:23pm so I took it easy, home before dark, used front strobe mode the whole time. Wifey asked about going to the pool but I had to eat, shower, clean & charge, then massage back. I was done & went to bed to watch the Olympics (Usain Bolt streaks to third consecutive Olympic gold in 100 meters) and 50th anniversary Star Trek special on the history channel.
21.5 Miles
27.4max
13.0 Avrg (I'm fine with this considering the heat warnings issued)
1hr 39min saddling
door-to-door journey time 1hr 55min

8/15/16
home to office
seasonal 74 degrees & DARK! 5:01am. hit the pitstop at the 1/2 way. didn't think I needed to until I got off the bike, then I was GLAD I did, lol
21.59 miles
29.9 max (braked for most of the good hill to see if that was a better plan and it was OK I guess. no traffic so hard to guess. braking more to get down to the 25mph limit would have been really annoying)
14.1 avrg
1hr 31min saddling
door-to-door journey time 1hr 36 min
Attached Images
homeward 8-14-16.jpg (101.1 KB, 203 views)
8-15-16.jpg (90.8 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-15-16 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-16-16, 02:42 PM
rumrunn6

hmmm, best yr in several yrs, up to approx 402 miles for the calendar yr
Old 08-21-16, 08:42 PM
rumrunn6

8/21 & 8/22/16 44 miles
using backup bike, no computer, each leg took about 2 hrs door-to door due to several stops to work on bike stuff. been a long time since I put any appreciable miles on the old '95 LeTour. Bottecchia needed a spoke. ride home was hot but not the worst of the summer, only 84 degrees. the ride in was cool after the storms passed through. rumors of a tornado & I did pass some downed trees and other weird obstacles. if I want to ride through puddles I'll have to give more thought to fenders. missing the old commuter that served me so well, but glad I didn't sell all my bikes. I really wanted to ride Sunday/Monday so that meant I had to work on the other bike

took several hrs Sunday to clean & lube the drivetrain & then adjust & tighten a bunch of stuff, including putting on some big pedals & mini clips I found in a bag

edit - Concord confirmed am EF1 tornado
Public Information Statement National Weather Service Taunton MA 1135 AM EDT MON AUG 22 2016 ...Tornado Confirmed Near CONCORD in MIDDLESEX County MA... Location...CONCORD in MIDDLESEX County MA Date...AUGUST 22 2016 Estimated Time...320 AM EDT Maximum EF-Scale Rating...EF-1 Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...100 MPH Maximum Path Width...400 YARDS Path Length...0.5 MILE Beginning Lat/Lon...42.46N / 71.34W Ending lat/Lon...42.46N / 71.33W * Fatalities...0 * Injuries...0

EXCERPT FROM THE BOSTON GLOBE Monday morning:
The National Weather Service is investigating whether a tornado touched down in Massachusetts early Monday morning.

A severe thunderstorm in Middlesex County caused tree damage and power outages between 3 and 4 a.m., according to the National Weather Service in Taunton. Much of the damage was concentrated in Concord and Marlborough.

Crews are working Monday morning to remove downed trees and wires, according to the Concord Police Department. Some of the damage made roads in Concord impassable, Concord officials said.

“The survey team will determine whether the damage was tornadic or caused by strong straight line winds,” said the weather service in a statement.
Attached Images
rainmap 8-21-16.jpg (95.3 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 06:57 PM
rumrunn6

moving the kids back to school this coming Sunday & next Wednesday so I might be skipping a week of this if I don't quit for the season altogether

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 09:55 AM
rumrunn6

9-24-16
Burlington VT, Island Line Trail along east coast of Lake Champlain
16 miles round trip with Wifey & daughter. (we parked at North Beach due to construction at the start further south) all 3 of us on Trek FXs, I was on son's 17.5 which is too small for me but I managed for this casual ride
we were out for a cpl hours
we did not take the bike ferry, another day with more time & warmer temps & an earlier start, we can bike to Canada!

in the summer North Beach provides for swimming!

& the Keens I got on the vineyard worked great for this ride

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-09-16, 02:35 PM
rumrunn6

10-9-16
6 miles in the rainy aftermath of Hurricane Mathew
picked up an older hybrid for $50 & felt like getting wet & filthy (fenders may be added in the future)
would have gone further but had to get home in time for football
parked at the nature preserve on Concord Unit Entrance Rd & took the unpaved Reformatory Branch Trail to Bedford HS

stock 700 x 40 tires worked just fine

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-17 at 08:02 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.