Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sign of the times?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sign of the times?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 11:03 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Dial it up to 400 and Drope the Hamer (still funny after all these years )
I could never tell if that guy was just trolling or he really did like to think of himself as some sort of bicycling vigilante who was going to dial it up to 400 W and drop people who had no idea they were even racing, just to teach them a lesson.

I've accepted that some of what I post is niche in terms of who will be interested in it, but I post it anyways because it leaves a trail that others searching for info on a topic might someday find. Perfect recent example is the post I made comparing the Brooks B17 saddle with steel rails to the Gilles Berthoud Galibier saddle with ti rails. Tensioned leather saddles are already niche, and of the tensioned leather saddles the Brooks predominate, so the pool of folks genuinely interested in something like the Gilles Berthoud is already going to be pretty small. Still, when I search for info on ti rails for leather saddles and one of the few threads I find was a question I myself posted several years ago on the subject, there's just not much out there. I posted that, it got looked at many dozen times, zero comments. I'm sure the post was just too long. I don't really care, though: I post what I'd want to read if I were searching online for experiences someone had with that saddle, hoping that it contributes something to the online corpus. At least trolls and sharpshooters didn't descend on that thread to rip me to shreds over whatever it was they found issue with.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 06-03-20, 11:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep. The forum is frustratingly tolerant of trolls and socks. In all fairness, the mods often remind us that they don't have time to read every post As a result they miss nuance and can't readily categorize a poster as a sock or troll when it's obvious to folks who follow the forum regularly. I've been beat on enough to know this will not change. If someone is concerned that the replies to a post seem exceptionally snarky, check the posting history of the OP.
I highly recommend reading “Blink”, by Malcom Gladwell.

Now excuse me. I have to add water to my hydraulic brake lines.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-20, 11:26 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I can see some of you are kind of new around here.
Old 06-03-20, 11:44 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I think we are all a little on the torqued side.... and I don't mean wrench.

8-)

Barry
Old 06-03-20, 11:54 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
There's some good posters here and lots of bicycle knowledge but his forum has always kind of sucked sucked and was always full of snobs and know-it-alls who learned all they needed to know in kindergarten, at least for the last few years anyway.
Old 06-03-20, 12:06 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi Folks,

Is it just me or are the threads getting increasingly argumentative, snarky and convoluted? When I started with BF a few years ago, members were friendly, courteous and helpful.

Recently, we’ve had rambling threads about inconsequential subjects. Seven pages ragging on a member because he was putting his “trophy bike” in storage. Another four pages on the accuracy of tire gauges. And so forth.

Are other members sensing this? Could it be just the stress of the times?

Regards,

Van
It’s just you.
If you don’t believe me you can do a quick thread search from however many years you would like to go back.
Try searching ‘We're going to yell at you’ or any thread about LBS price structure, or any thread about MUP etiquette.
BF was not impervious to standard internet behavior then and it is not now.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-03-20, 12:20 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
My (warped) mind keeps coming up with some truly snarky responses to some inane threads. Examples:

Recommend some bike shorts: OK, I recommend you wear bike shorts when you ride a bike.

Recommend a wheel for (fill in condition). No, it's better to ride a bicycle with TWO wheels. That's why it's called a BI-cycle.

What's the best chain lube? The one that's on your chain when you go for a ride. Anything in a bottle isn't doing the chain any good.

Many intelligent people have amused themselves for many, many years with similar comebacks. Most of mine don't quite make the "Post" button. On bikeforums we're a cross between Samuel Johnson and the roomful of monkeys trying to recreate the complete works of Shakespeare -- some of those responses are going to slip out into the wild.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-03-20, 12:21 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Whatever happened to civility?

A couple times I was dismissed or my advice was discredited rather rudely by a know-it-all. I thought about giving the youngster an internet tongue lashing but what is the point? I would just be another interweb tough guy with no soul.

There are several BF members that are really skilled at dispensing great detailed information. Bravo to these members! Those are the posts I am most interested in.
When a thread approaches two pages, I already know the subject has been beat to death. . I just scroll on to another thread.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-03-20 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 12:23 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
It’s just you.
If you don’t believe me you can do a quick thread search from however many years you would like to go back.
Try searching ‘We're going to yell at you’ or any thread about LBS price structure, or any thread about MUP etiquette.
BF was not impervious to standard internet behavior then and it is not now.
Other good topics are:
CF vs metal
Disc vs rim brakes
Carrying while riding
Waving
Average speed
...and many more
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 06-03-20, 12:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Other good topics are:
CF vs metal
Disc vs rim brakes
Carrying while riding
Waving
Average speed
...and many more
Walmart
Dogs
MUPs
Cadence
Ebikes
Hoods vs. Drops
Diet
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-20, 12:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I'm new to cycling but clearly you've all been doing this wrong....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-20, 01:09 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I think we are all a little on the torqued side.... and I don't mean wrench.

8-)

Barry

Lots of us out there have more time on our hands ----- I wandered into the P&R section last week and almost got sucked into a black hole of back and forth negativity

And it was like was said about Howard Stern -- people who like him listen for 45 minutes a day -- people who Dis-like him listen for 3 hours a day ! (or something like that - and I assume that was back in the shock-jock terrestrial radio days )
Old 06-03-20, 03:51 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Sign of the times
Hi Folks,

Is it just me or are the threads getting increasingly argumentative, snarky and convoluted? When I started with BF a few years ago, members were friendly, courteous and helpful.

Recently, we’ve had rambling threads about inconsequential subjects. Seven pages ragging on a member because he was putting his “trophy bike” in storage. Another four pages on the accuracy of tire gauges. And so forth.

Are other members sensing this? Could it be just the stress of the times?
@Senior Ryder 00, I note that your avatar is entitled “Old bikes, older guy,” so you may be amused by my reply to this thread on the Fifty-Plus Plus Forum:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
"50+ the way that it used to be"

50+ used to be like the bar on "Cheers". There was a cast of characters like the Deege and Denver who had distinct personalities. Topics were generally related to bicycling or ageing but not always. It was it's own place.

Some people didn't like that. They said they felt like they had wandered into a bar where they didn't belong. Their solution was to change the bar and they did...
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
...The big dust up was actually a confluence of a couple of events. See the stickie post, by Tom Stormcrowe, in the top of the forum threads, for a date to pin on the event(s).

A few members didn't care for the "clubbiness" that evolved over the first years of the 50+ Forum. The things like Pie, pie rides, pie day, mentioning colonoscopies, Tombay falls and Club Tombay, rubbed them the wrong way. they also felt that these topics weren't bicycle related and should be eliminated/deleted somehow. Several folks got their feelings hurt, or just plain got angry about the tone, as Tom put it, and they either left, or got hostile towards others.

Now, we have some new folks that have come in as they found the forum, or some just hit the 50+ age and started posting here. They weren't a part of the original group, and don't carry any of the baggage or memories about who and what transpired here earlier. Most members don't care, or weren't aware of what happened, and other things drove members away. Some just lost interest in posting and drifted away. No blanket answers to the issues, or even all of the issues that have effected how the forum is viewed

Just what I observed over the few years I have been here, I cannot say that I am always happy with how things go here, I doubt that anyone is always 100% in agreement about the place, or who has an opinion. I have been lucky with the forum..
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"50+ the way that it used to be"

Ithink this Forum started well before I joined in 2008, maybe 2005?

What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides". I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn [now-deceased] was on that one.

Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person. I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts.
˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-03-20 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 03:52 PM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄
Originally Posted by jim from boston
fya, i previously posted to a now-closed thread:
Originally Posted by jim from boston
...for me the heady days on the forums were from about 2008 to 2016, in particular participating in the fifty-plus annual rides, which have since disappeared.

i think i have absorbed all the good advice i can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently i have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

in the past i have offered imo several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. they are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas i will never visit, or bikes i would not buy. O
ther cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "i work with a moron", or ”how often do you check your mirror?.
and https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...eadphones.html

ps: Thread has been closed.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-03-20 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 05:53 PM
indyfabz

^^^And just like that, the thread grows longer than a CVS receipt.^^^ An unfortunate sign of the times that nothing will be done about.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-03-20 at 05:58 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-20, 06:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Saving every comment one has made on BF and able to recycle them at will! Remarkable.... Wasn't Howard Hughes rumored to have saved his toenail clippings?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-20, 06:47 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
My favorite was some guy jumping on me for telling some cat that using an 11-40 cassette with a 30-39-50 road triple might be problematic in terms of derailleur and chain tension, implying that I was being unreasonable for using math to calculate rear derailleur total capacity ("theoretical nonsense"). I think a helpful person from these forums had actually shared it with me in the first place? People get crazy here at times, like a well-known poster of wacky non-sequiturs who once accused me of being a member of the dangerous Jan Heine low-trail supple cult. The surprisingly bitter feud between the fully-loadeds and the fast'n'lights in the touring subforum was another highlight, as was the troll who messaged me, asking me to make a thread calling for a general public apology to be made to him, after I encouraged him to be more conciliatory once, in a single thread. You might also post a 1x thread for road bikes to see the type of reaction you get (triples for life, b1tc6!).

However, there are supportive individuals here who are genuinely helpful in offering advice and who generously give of their time in answering queries and questions about bikes and cycling in general. I don't think rancor in the forums is a sign of the times, it's really just business as usual. You can tune it out relatively easily and engage with the helpful and supportive, rather than the hostile and grumpy.
Old 06-04-20, 05:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Sign of the times @Senior Ryder 00, I note that your avatar is entitled “Old bikes, older guy,” so you may be amused by my reply to this thread on the Fifty-Plus Plus Forum: ˅˅˅˅
Thanks for the history lesson Jim from the planet Boston.
Who knew the 50+ forum started out as a small, tight-knit group of weirdos with little to no tolerance for new members that did not fit their mold?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-04-20, 05:29 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I actually enjoy reading posts that begin with "I'm new to the bicycling scene and I just got a smokin deal on a ....(30 year old entry level road bike). All it needs are new brakes, tires, tubes, bar tape, cables and chain. I don't like the seat, gearing and pedals so I want to replace them. The wheels are a bit rusty but nothing a little steel wool can't fix".
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 06-04-20, 05:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I actually enjoy reading posts that begin with "I'm new to the bicycling scene and I just got a smokin deal on a ....(30 year old entry level road bike). All it needs are new brakes, tires, tubes, bar tape, cables and chain. I don't like the seat, gearing and pedals so I want to replace them. The wheels are a bit rusty but nothing a little steel wool can't fix".
Yes. They key is to buy the bike first and then ask if you got a good deal.😂
Old 06-04-20, 06:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Hi Folks,

Is it just me or are the threads getting increasingly argumentative, snarky and convoluted?
It's difficult to not be snarky or argumentative when someone offers up a post that is (1) easily verified to be factually incorrect, or (2) a question that would have been easily answered with a quick google search, or (3) an opinion masquerading as fact.
Old 06-04-20, 07:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Sign of the times?
@Senior Ryder 00, I note that your avatar is entitled “Old bikes, older guy,” so you may be amused by my reply to this thread on the Fifty-Plus Plus Forum:"50+ the way that it used to be."
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Thanks for the history lesson Jim from the planet Boston.
Who knew the 50+ forum started out as a small, tight-knit group of weirdos with little to no tolerance for new members that did not fit their mold?
Thanks for the nod, @downhillmaster, though frankly my interpretation is diametrically opposite.
…I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic [or read another subscriber's good one], written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it.
So when I joined Bike Forums, I was a new kid on the block. When I found the 50+ Forum, I could tell it was a work already in progress with inside references as noted by @qcpmsame.

I indeed was unaware of the subsequent turmoil as described by qcpmsame but realized there was change as frequent subscribers fell away .
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
...The big dust up was actually a confluence of a couple of events. See the stickie post, by Tom Stormcrowe, in the top of the forum threads, for a date to pin on the event(s).

A few members didn't care for the "clubbiness" that evolved over the first years of the 50+ Forum. The things like Pie, pie rides, pie day, mentioning colonoscopies, Tombay falls and Club Tombay, rubbed them the wrong way. they also felt that these topics weren't bicycle related and should be eliminated/deleted somehow. Several folks got their feelings hurt, or just plain got angry about the tone, as Tom put it, and they either left, or got hostile towards others.

Now, we have some new folks that have come in as they found the forum, or some just hit the 50+ age and started posting here. They weren't a part of the original group, and don't carry any of the baggage or memories about who and what transpired here earlier.

Most members don't care, or weren't aware of what happened, and other things drove members away. Some just lost interest in posting and drifted away. No blanket answers to the issues, or even all of the issues that have effected how the forum is viewed.
So IMO, the original subscribers to 50+ were an affable and welcoming group, and I have met several members in person, a few who came to planet Boston to cycle. The weirdos then were the new subscribers with little to no tolerance for old members that did not fit their mold.

During one of the economic slowdowns in the past, a commentator noted that when long term associates in a corporation or institution leave, that entity loses a part its corporate memory.

˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-04-20 at 06:16 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 06-04-20, 07:27 AM
Jim from Boston

ɅɅɅɅ

There is a thread on the Northeast Regional Discussion Forum, that I consider the de facto Metro Boston thread that since 2009 IMO has maintained that comeraderie I found on Fifty-Plus several years ago.
...I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread {link) here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting.

Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales…
...I prefer more the experiential discussions on BF rather than the technical/materiel (hardware) Forums, so I daily visit General Discussion, Advocacy & Safety, Commuting, Fifty-Plus, Living Car Free, Road Cycling, Touring, and seasonally, Winter Cycling Forums...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-04-20 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 07:28 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Other good topics are:
CF vs metal
Disc vs rim brakes
Carrying while riding
Waving
Average speed
...and many more
Is that the same as packing?
People were waving at me yesterday and I didn't know who they were........
Old 06-04-20, 10:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
In this day and age some snowflake is always offended about something. Virtually anything someone may do offends someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.