Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Enve alloy road hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Enve alloy road hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 05:28 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Enve alloy road hubs

Just recently found a pair of these at an attractive price. Sounds like a quality hub, but I notice the spoke hole spacing looks a bit odd. Like the holes are grouped in 2's. Will they lace up like any other hub (2X) or are there any quirks I need to know about? Thanks
Old 03-13-21, 06:10 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts

Like this one? I imagine you could build it up with a 24-hole rim if you duplicate the lacing pattern and calculate the correct spoke length. This will not lace like a 24-spoke wheel, but like a 48 with half the spokes left out. With 24 spokes it's 2x. If you imagine the missing spokes, it would be a virtual 4x pattern, I think.
Old 03-13-21, 07:56 PM
bmcer

Yup. Exactly like that. Just eye-balling it, the pattern and angles resembles that of a straight pull hub. So I might try the DT Swiss spoke calculator with a negative spoke head off set.
Old 03-17-21, 06:18 PM
bmcer

Update;

Despite the odd spoke hole pattern, these hubs laced up 2-cross like a normal hub. And the DT Swiss spoke calculator gives proper spoke lengths. Figuring out which hub hole the first spoke goes into if you want the label visible through the valve hole was a bit of a guessing game, but once I got that figured out, the wheel built up as usual.
Old 03-18-21, 08:55 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Update;

Despite the odd spoke hole pattern, these hubs laced up 2-cross like a normal hub. And the DT Swiss spoke calculator gives proper spoke lengths. Figuring out which hub hole the first spoke goes into if you want the label visible through the valve hole was a bit of a guessing game, but once I got that figured out, the wheel built up as usual.
I checked, using a hypothetical hub and rim, your direct approach against my roundabout one--same results. Learn something every day. Maybe it's time to build up those old Bontrager hubs in my bin.
Old 03-19-21, 10:35 AM
bmcer

Yup, turns out the paired hole spacing doesn't have a noticeable affect on spoke length calculations using the DT Swiss calculator. No need to do anything exotic. The classical hub formulas work just fine. However, it does throw off Musson's method for selecting the first spoke hole to get the valve hole on the rim pointed at the hub label.
Old 03-19-21, 10:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4824 Post(s)
Liked 3,948 Times in 2,568 Posts
Yup, turns out the paired hole spacing doesn't have a noticeable affect on spoke length calculations using the DT Swiss calculator. No need to do anything exotic. The classical hub formulas work just fine. However, it does throw off Musson's method for selecting the first spoke hole to get the valve hole on the rim pointed at the hub label.
I have to laugh. I have never considered lining up rim and hub beyond getting parallel spokes at the valve. I suppose I should have known that this was important to some! Built my first wheel 49 years ago and have built nearly every wheel I've ridden since. I just learned something new. (Maybe I'll incorporate this into my next re-rim. That would be easy. But no rush. I'm going to start swapping over to tubular as my current rims wear out so new builds for a while.)
Old 03-19-21, 11:22 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have to laugh. I have never considered lining up rim and hub beyond getting parallel spokes at the valve. I suppose I should have known that this was important to some! Built my first wheel 49 years ago and have built nearly every wheel I've ridden since. I just learned something new. (Maybe I'll incorporate this into my next re-rim. That would be easy. But no rush. I'm going to start swapping over to tubular as my current rims wear out so new builds for a while.)
Been building wheels myself since the early 80's. It's certainly not necessary to align the hub label with the valve hole with the hub label, but it is a nice touch that makes the valve hole easier to find. The technique is described in Roger Musson's "Professional Guide to Wheel Building", page 67.

Last edited by bmcer; 03-19-21 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-15-22, 10:22 AM
Grvl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you mind sharing your hub specs that you added to the dt swiss spoke calculator ?

I also have this hub and looking to build two wheelsets.

Type:
model:
pitch circle left
pitch circle right
flange dist left
flange dist right
Ø spoke hole
weight

Update;

Last edited by Grvl; 02-15-22 at 10:25 AM.