Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not sure if that was a compliment or a warning

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-19, 12:58 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts

Rode my bike down hwy 25 to Pinnacles National Park and back yesterday. The park is approximately 25 miles from civilization and the road has very light traffic. On my way back, I was passed slowly in a construction zone by a highway patrol. Before she reached me, she got on her loudspeaker and said something which I couldn't fully understand. What I heard was " Your blank is blank blank to motorists". Then she went on by.

I'm thinking, what was she saying? Then realized it must be something about my tailight, which is the cygolite hot shot pro 200. Then I thought maybe she was telling me that it was blinding to motorists or perhaps just that it was highly visible to motorists. Either way, I figured it was good.

Riding on rural highways with little to no shoulder, you want people to see you from as far away as possible.
Old 09-16-19, 01:01 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
How nice of her to stop and give you her thoughts so that you could actually hear what she was saying
Old 09-16-19, 01:04 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I'm sure to her she just performed a valuable public service. Serve and protect.😒
Old 09-16-19, 01:19 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
200 lumen taillight can be anoyingly bright, so my money's on it being a warning.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 09-16-19, 01:33 PM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Always amazed at how universally pathetic police PA systems are. You would think that, with such an import role, agencies could outfit their cars with products from Marshall or Klipsch etc.
....as for flash, lord knows the flashy lights on their interceptors certainly are very bright!
Old 09-16-19, 02:27 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
i'd rather have motorists blinded by my rear light(s) than effectively blinded by their phones.

really really need to get back up to the hollister/pinnacles np area this spring.
Old 09-16-19, 02:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
they should have classes about how to use a mobile PA system
Old 09-16-19, 02:36 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Clear case of flash envy.
Old 09-16-19, 02:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I always assume that unintelligible yelling from someone passing by in a car are positive and uplifting words!
Old 09-16-19, 03:25 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I don't know anything about your taillight. I have seen some headlights on bikes that were so bright they cause me to see spots. That's too bright and in fact a safety detriment. Have you ever seen your taillight from behind? It may have focus characteristics that make it so bright that motorists have to look away. Just a thought.
Old 09-16-19, 03:42 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't know anything about your taillight. I have seen some headlights on bikes that were so bright they cause me to see spots. That's too bright and in fact a safety detriment. Have you ever seen your taillight from behind? It may have focus characteristics that make it so bright that motorists have to look away. Just a thought.
Yes. I have looked at it and if you are really directly looking at it, it is quite bright and for daytime use, that is what I want. As you get off angle, it is much less bright and I have a hard time seeing how it would blind anyone or cause them to avert their eyes to keep from being blinded.

For the record, I've never used this light at night and do not see a reason to have anything that bright except for daytime use.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 09-16-19, 07:37 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts

Agree totally. Frankly, unless you're riding at night I'm not really sold on the importance of a front light. But I really want people on their cell phones bearing down on me from behind to see me....even if it irritates them for a few seconds while they do so.
Old 09-17-19, 04:46 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
It happens with frightening regularity. Motorists run into emergency vehicles with their flashing lights energized. Why? Is there a lesson we can apply to our irritating or annoying lights?
Old 09-17-19, 05:25 AM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
She said, hey good looking, we'll be back later to pick you up later.
Old 09-17-19, 05:35 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
...even if it irritates them for a few seconds while they do so.

Nothing wrong with a flashing light in terms of safety..however, we all know that irritated drivers are totally rational beasts. A light that's too bright may well attract as much grief as it repels. It only takes one..
Old 09-17-19, 06:00 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
A HA HA!....wow, blast from the past! Where is Ronco when you need them??
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 09-17-19, 06:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
What I heard was " Your blank is blank blank to motorists". Then she went on by.
Sounds like the CHP hired one of the adults from the "Charlie Brown" cartoons to be a patrol officer. Was bound to happen sooner or later. I hope this "P.A. system" type of policing does not catch on. I can just imagine. "Attention masked bandits, stop robbing that bank immediately, I order you!"

I agree with the other poster that said to just assume it was something encouraging, such as, "Your athletic prowess is intimidating to motorists."
Old 09-17-19, 06:56 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Actually, the PA systems that are used double as the sirens. Acoustical clarity is not the prime factor in their designs.
Old 09-17-19, 07:15 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Ah, so us civilians are not expected to hear the precise words of the LEO loudspeaker announcement, just the overall tone and timbre, and react accordingly? I guess that's pretty much what I do already.
Old 09-17-19, 07:29 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It happens with frightening regularity. Motorists run into emergency vehicles with their flashing lights energized. Why? Is there a lesson we can apply to our irritating or annoying lights?
No, there isn't. It's unclear as to whether or not phototaxis is a thing in humans, but target fixation absolutely is. Every ambulatory movement taken by a human being absolutely relies on target fixation, whether that be a point in our vision, the source of a sound, or any other stimulus.

The biggest danger to a cyclist is the driver that doesn't see them. Conspicuity is important. If the flashing of a taillight irritates a passing car for the 2 seconds it takes them to pass, well frankly, good.

Bicycle taillights are brightest directly on-axis for a reason. From ~8 feet to either side, they're not nearly as bright-- visible, but not blinding.
Old 09-17-19, 08:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Bicycle taillights are brightest directly on-axis for a reason. From ~8 feet to either side, they're not nearly as bright-- visible, but not blinding.
Could you elaborate? I can't think of a good reason to have a beam like a laser pointer; I'd rather have the light distributed pretty evenly over 30-60 degrees.
Old 09-17-19, 09:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Brightest on-axis because that's where someone is going to be when they hit you. Having it spray light 30º off to either side is just going to make it dimmer to everyone. Think flashlight vs. floodlight. From an oblique angle, a light needs only be visible and recognizable. From a narrow cone surrounding "dead on," it should be irritatingly bright.
Old 09-17-19, 09:40 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Or she was commenting on your firm butt cheeks from all that riding... Just saying.
Old 09-17-19, 12:36 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It's called "the Moth effect". Drivers are attracted top blinking or flashing lights. Also, it's been show that it's very hard to judge how far away a blinking or flashing light really is. I run two lights on the rear of my bike at NIGHT. One is steady on and the other is a blinking light not a high-speed flashing or strobe-like light.

Cheers
Old 09-17-19, 02:04 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Actually, the PA systems that are used double as the sirens. Acoustical clarity is not the prime factor in their designs.
Fair point. But what about airport PA systems at boarding gates in US airports? The system itself is usually pretty poor, and combined with interference from people talking, other PA sources talking and general ambient noise their announcements usually sound like unintelligible "mumble mumble mumble". What puzzles me to no end is why they can't just accompany their announcements with the same info displayed on the TV screens by the gate... There are exceptions, but they are very rare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.