Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dumb question for LBS owners:

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dumb question for LBS owners:

Old 06-09-20, 09:53 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Not a shop owner but ..

I'm doing the same thing as the OP. And I flat out told the shop they don't have to match Amazon's price, just tell me what the price is and it'll probably be fine. I've turned them down a couple times but it was because they simply couldn't get a close enough replacement part, not over price.

I can't imagine they make enough on these one-off transactions to cover labor, but they're not turning me down. Sometimes it takes a few days, which if it means they're waiting until the shop person has idle time is fine with me. I just don't want to give any more to Bezos.
Yeah I don't shop around because a.) my LBS has established a fair pricing history so I trust them b.) it's a RELATIONSHIP business more than a TRANSACTIONAL one and c.) all the other good reasons to patronize your local businesses in general and your LBS in particular
Likes For davei1980:
Old 06-09-20, 01:13 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
If the agreement requires adhering to MSRP prices in advertising, I would think they'd afoul of federal law in the US pretty quick. Mail order record sellers in NYC beat the MSRP on LPs in the 1950s, IIRC (but I can't find the info via google or duckduckgo search). Or have the MSRP thieves bought enough congressmen to get the law changed?
I may be wrong but as I understand it the pricing agreements say the retailers can't advertise a price lower than the MSRP unless they have approval or there is a special pricing event going on. It doesn't mean they can't sell for something other than MSRP, they just can't advertise or quote lower than MSRP. As it has been explained to me if they force the retailer to sell for a specific price that is illegal but requiring them to advertise their price within the MSRP range is not. One shop I worked for was covered by an MSRP agreement on a particular brand bike but we routinely sold them for less. We had to compete with some shops outside the coverage area that weren't covered by the agreement who always sold the bikes for less than MSRP. The customers got a nice little surprise when we rang-up the sale.

Originally Posted by rollagain
I think most bike shops get most or all of their merchandise through QBP, so when you order some small item, your order gets added to a bunch of others and the shipping charges get distributed among those orders. The truck doesn't have to visit their store just for something like a set of brake levers, so I'd think they save on shipping costs.

Just a guess.
Quality has free shipping if you keep a the average order above a specific amount. Most shops work hard to keep their average order amount above that level to keep the free shipping. Hint: If you have a bunch of small parts that you want but the shop never has, ask them if they would willing to keep a list of parts you WILL buy if they get them in. No rush, just whenever they happen to come in. You'd be surprised how often the weekly Quality order is $10-$20 short of meeting the average order amount. Having that list of parts someone wants is suddenly very nice, particularly for a small shop. They can get their order over the minimum AND they know the part they threw on is sold. Sometimes they will give you a nice "team" discount on the part as well. I've worked with 2 shops that did this for me, both gave me the employee discount on the parts. This will only work on parts they don't routinely stock.

Originally Posted by davei1980
Forgot to mention also, I make every effort to pay in cash (actual currency) at my LBS since the owner has expressed to me the hardship created by processing fees. It's no additional trouble to me and helps him with his bottom line. He will also offer cash discounts sometimes but I don't come to expect.
Certain cards have much higher processing fees than other (Discover, AMEX). On some products such as food, the higher processing fees can actually wipe out any margin the shop had. Most products have better margins but the processing fees do have an impact. I always try to pay cash or check at my LBS.

Last edited by RGMN; 06-09-20 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-20, 01:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Not certain how they're getting by with free installation and I've never been in or worked for a shop like that one though I've often thought I'd run one similar to that. Can't understand when a tune up is 75, you buy brakes and the brakes are an extra 10 per to install on top of the tune up, same with any other part but I get when you just buy brakes and the shop wants a small install fee. The one that always gets me the most is when you want to order something, they want the money up front and there isn't a discount. Shop is basically getting paid extra to just be a middle man which is a waste of cash to me. I'm something of a bargain hunter and haven't found shops that really offer comparable pricing so I tend to buy online, if I needed someone to install for me I could easily see being less of a bargain hunter and more of someone who shops around for free/cheap installation.
I will say with disc brakes, I just swapped my kids' bikes from cable to hydraulic and the total time for 2 bikes was an hour and that was only due to not having an air compressor to get the grips off quick or easily nor a replacement set to just cut the old ones off which were too new to replace anyways.
Old 06-09-20, 02:18 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not certain how they're getting by with free installation and I've never been in or worked for a shop like that one though I've often thought I'd run one similar to that. Can't understand when a tune up is 75, you buy brakes and the brakes are an extra 10 per to install on top of the tune up, same with any other part but I get when you just buy brakes and the shop wants a small install fee. The one that always gets me the most is when you want to order something, they want the money up front and there isn't a discount. Shop is basically getting paid extra to just be a middle man which is a waste of cash to me. I'm something of a bargain hunter and haven't found shops that really offer comparable pricing so I tend to buy online, if I needed someone to install for me I could easily see being less of a bargain hunter and more of someone who shops around for free/cheap installation.
I will say with disc brakes, I just swapped my kids' bikes from cable to hydraulic and the total time for 2 bikes was an hour and that was only due to not having an air compressor to get the grips off quick or easily nor a replacement set to just cut the old ones off which were too new to replace anyways.
so just some extra color:

I don't usually require installation but I'll take advantage if it's free - this goes for stuff like my dropper post which is pretty straightforward. They charge a little labor for hydro disc brakes and probably other more complicated stuff. They never charge $$ upfront, I can place an order over the phone and they call me when it's in. The internet always charges in advance, if you think about it.