Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 10:12 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Picked this off Amazon and I'm really impressed by the ease of use, whole thing is made of machined aluminum, the threads are all really smooth and it pushes barbs in without squashing the hose or any real effort. I ended up reslicing the hose since I didn't do it smoothly but found the inner edge of the clamp was perfect for sliding a kknife along for a clean cut. I ordered 2 sets of disc brakes for the kids' bikes which will require trimming the brake hoses when I get a rainy day and need to kill time. Also need it for installing campy hoses when the frame arrives. Also have a campy cassette lockring tool on the way.
Old 05-26-20, 10:41 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^ .... and "this" is.....**********
Old 05-26-20, 11:52 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
a park front wheel holder....just got tired of jury rigging a no flop front wheel in the stand

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-26-20, 12:56 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
I was always tired of switching ratchet wrench/ breaker bar to use my one inch deep wall socket for Park Tools cassette or Freewheel tools (I like to secure tool w/ skewer or axle nut). So I decided to find the perfect version ( for this application) of the socket; six point (less likely to slip or round things), deep well ( as previously explained before) and 3/8” drive (so not to need to switch ratchet)! I could only find one manufacturer that had said socket in six point version- Snap-On. I ordered it from one of the trucks, thinking; “how much could it cost“. I was shocked that when it came in it was $50!!! As I agreed to buy it, it is now in my cassette/ freewheel tool drawer.
But hey, it works really nicely...........
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Why not just use a 1" wrench? I always find the further away that the leverage sits the more likely the tool is to slip. A wrench gets right in close to the lockring and the lockring tool never slips. I find this extra true for sealed cartridge BB tools, they always have a 1/2" drive at the end and always cam out when using it. But pop a 32mm wrench on the BB tool and it virtually never looses grip.

I've got a Campagnolo bleed kit and cassette lockring tool showing tomorrow.
I fought that battle for while, trying different 1" sockets, breaker bars, and wrenches, even different removers (I have a bunch of the old Snap-on/Wrench Force removers that I thought would work better. Nope.) On an impulse I picked-up a Park freewheel remover wrench. I've been pleasantly surprised how well this works, enough that the 1" socket it now tucked away with the torque wrench since it only comes out when I need to torque something, and the breaker bar and 1" wrenches are back in the car tool box. It's plenty long for good leverage, a round handle for comfort, and you can lock the remover in the head with a set screw. It is one of the better impulse tool purchases I've made.

As for the latest tool I've purchased, most of my carry along multitools are being retired in favor of the Lezyne Storage Drive. A little lighter, but much easier to stow away, and I can customize the wrenches carried on each bike. And if I damage or lose a bit they are cheap to replace. They're just about as good as fixit sticks but cheaper and more easily customized. Just don't drop that black end cap in the grass. You'll spend a bunch of time trying to find it.
Old 05-26-20, 02:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Russ Roth, which tool are you speaking of? You didn't name it or post a link to it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-20, 03:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Russ Roth, which tool are you speaking of? You didn't name it or post a link to it.

guess the pic didn't stick around but here it is
Old 05-26-20, 07:07 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Ice tools torque allen wrench set. My regular torque wrench doesnt have settings below 10 nm.
Old 05-26-20, 07:48 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I actually found this on Facebook .it is a great ratcheting tool holder. the long shaft is ratcheted and the ends don't but you can easily swap bits between them and ti s a lot faster to remove and put screws in with the ratchet end. a little expensive 40.00 for the tool only. the pouches 6 I think bits are bought locally for what I need.

Old 05-27-20, 12:48 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Let us know how you like the roller cart. I need something like that.
Originally Posted by billnuke1
Just picked up another one...had no choice...was dented...they were building it when they noticed the dent...marked down to $185.00 on the card...sitting, sans box, in the middle of the floor...told mgr that maybe at $150.00 I might consider it...he points to the sign behind the box...it says half off marked price!...I got it for $91.00!
I have been wanting a bigger, single box...with these two boxes I have a 6’, 10 drawer box!
You will love this box...you will need another human to help put the box onto the lower unit...I was able to lay the whole thing down and mate the two pieces by myself...second one I have built and forth or so from HF that I have built...my brother has his PhD...I have my Bt,Dt...Been there, Done that...

Original...

...new brother...nice improvements made...I put the box on top of the craftsman but it was too unstable so I just finished building it...needs stickers!
At $180.00 (on sale) this tool cart is a great buy and really like mine. I ditched the drawer liners that come with it and used the Harbor Freight liner, I think it took 3 rolls to line all of the drawers. I also purchased the folding shelf and the paper towel holder and also the 2 can magnetic shelf.The only negative is finding a place to store long handle Hex keys that are on a stand up holder.

Last edited by Thomas15; 05-27-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 12:58 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I might have bought the folding shelf...I can’t find it...if it’s magnetic, then it’s stuck to something metal somewhere like 1/2 of my paper towel holder was...it had fallen on the floor and was stuck to under, backside of one of the tool boxes...
Old 05-27-20, 07:32 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

I might have bought the folding shelf...I can’t find it...if it’s magnetic, then it’s stuck to something metal somewhere like 1/2 of my paper towel holder was...it had fallen on the floor and was stuck to under, backside of one of the tool boxes...
It's not magnetic.
Old 05-27-20, 08:01 PM
billnuke1 

Had to have it! Great price and I’ve always like this design...Wife not happy...she picked up from the PO...actually she never touched it...had one of the guys bring it out...stayed in the car till I brought it in...whoa! Heavy! Steel, not aluminum! Gonna be steady! Can’t wait to put it to work!

Heavier than I thought it was gonna be...steel is real...heavy...

Mine’s the older style...

Gonna get a chance to try out the new waste basket...

Can’t fault the packaging...no peanuts were hurt during the unpackaging...only one escaped!

Everything, plus, other unspecified pieces included...Nothing else for me to buy...

...glad I decided to keep this little toolbox for stuff like this...

Definitely gonna be employing it this weekend!

Last edited by billnuke1; 05-27-20 at 08:03 PM. Reason: More words...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 05-27-20, 08:12 PM
billnuke1 

Darn!

Originally Posted by Thomas15
It's not magnetic.
Darn! Then it’s folded flat somewhere...
Old 05-27-20, 08:35 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Bill,
Nice tool and you will love it. Now about that thing with your war department, mine keeps telling me I am incorrect about anything I do. I think it may be a genetic thing and maybe even a chromosomal issue. But I have learned that social distancing when it flares up seems to work. I trust all is well, MH
Old 05-27-20, 09:19 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Darn! Then it’s folded flat somewhere...
Sad but true.
Old 05-27-20, 09:45 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Not exciting, but i picked up a Park 13/14mm double-sided cone wrench. All my existing cone wrenches are too thick to comfortably adjust the cones on my front wheel XT hubs, and this will do the trick!
Old 05-28-20, 04:17 AM
billnuke1 

These are great tools for traveling tool kits, too.
Old 05-28-20, 06:28 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
I don't know why I bought it , I was doing fine without it . But it is cool . It is ice .
Old 05-28-20, 06:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts

A tool to hold my tools. Decided if I am going to get a box I might as well get one on wheels so I can transport it more easily.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-31-20, 08:59 PM
billnuke1 

Folded...out of the way...

Had to have it! Great price and I’ve always like this design...Wife not happy...she picked up from the PO...actually she never touched it...had one of the guys bring it out...stayed in the car till I brought it in...whoa! Heavy! Steel, not aluminum! Gonna be steady! Can’t wait to put it to work!

Heavier than I thought it was gonna be...steel is real...heavy...

Mine’s the older style...

Gonna get a chance to try out the new waste basket...

Can’t fault the packaging...no peanuts were hurt during the unpackaging...only one escaped!

Everything, plus, other unspecified pieces included...Nothing else for me to buy...

...glad I decided to keep this little toolbox for stuff like this...

Definitely gonna be employing it this weekend!

Accessories all attached, too!
Old 06-20-20, 03:44 PM
billnuke1 

Hmmmmm...

I bought another one of these today, got two now...came with a few very useful tools...used it right away! Can’t figure out why these were only made one year...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 06-21-20, 03:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I bought another one of these today, got two now...came with a few very useful tools...used it right away! Can’t figure out why these were only made one year...
I have never seen that style of stand before and love the wheels idea,

I wonder how hard it would be to add an axle and wheels to my PCS-4-1 what we leave permanently set up in the shop (the legs are "fixed" with hose clamps). We always move out in the sunshine when we do work. and then have to slide back in when we are done. I wonder if it will move around too much when "heavy" wrenching.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 06-21-20 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 05:22 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I love the hand truck stand, best thing ever. We had one at the rental shop that went out on the porch
Old 06-21-20, 06:31 AM
billnuke1 

Like a rock...

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I have never seen that style of stand before and love the wheels idea,

I wonder how hard it would be to add an axle and wheels to my PCS-4-1 what we leave permanently set up in the shop (the legs are "fixed" with hose clamps). We always move out in the sunshine when we fo work. and then have to slide back in when we are done. I wonder if it will move around too much when "heavy" wrenching.

Crazy stable...put it right to work yesterday...two MTBs and an old Mixte getting ready for sale. Light stuff on the MTBs...adjusting front and rear derailleurs...the Mixte involved removing and replacing a seat that has been untouched for thirty years...serious twisting utilized...on and off...clamped at the seat tube...the non-adjustable clamp worked great for the older bikes..I buy the newer style clamps whenever I see them priced reasonably, I swapped the clamps out to work on the newer MTBs... Both stands have come from gentlemen who worked in retail settings and somehow got to bring their stands with them when they left...the included tool consisted Shimano cassette toolS and the holder, chain tools, brake tools, etc...a mere handful of tool needed to work on the current type bikes...hmmmm...nothing to adjust wheel bearings, etc...am I showing my age? Is everything cartridges?
The box store bikes I get to work on for my neighbors are usually very mal-adjusted(too tight) and dry...

Old 06-22-20, 12:19 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

Crazy stable...put it right to work yesterday...two MTBs and an old Mixte getting ready for sale. Light stuff on the MTBs...adjusting front and rear derailleurs...the Mixte involved removing and replacing a seat that has been untouched for thirty years...serious twisting utilized...on and off...clamped at the seat tube...the non-adjustable clamp worked great for the older bikes..I buy the newer style clamps whenever I see them priced reasonably, I swapped the clamps out to work on the newer MTBs... Both stands have come from gentlemen who worked in retail settings and somehow got to bring their stands with them when they left...the included tool consisted Shimano cassette toolS and the holder, chain tools, brake tools, etc...a mere handful of tool needed to work on the current type bikes...hmmmm...nothing to adjust wheel bearings, etc...am I showing my age? Is everything cartridges?
The box store bikes I get to work on for my neighbors are usually very mal-adjusted(too tight) and dry...

Yes I have that fixed clamp on one of my stands with a heavy squarish base, we don't use it too much, someone donated it to our shop. It only comes out when we have the whole team working at Christmas time.

Edited to add pic and additional info

PRS-6

Last edited by JoeTBM; 06-22-20 at 03:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.