Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

When oil went in, mud ran out

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 07:23 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

I have a fat bike. I could only ride it on good roads, and keep it in good condition. But that would be boring. I avoid the ocean, and salt water, but ride it anywhere else.

A few years ago, the river rose, and a lot of roads became flooded. To me, to see what people do during times of floods is interesting. So at times I rode it through flood waters. Normally not more than 600 mm or 2 feet deep. The fat tires create a huge amount of resistance when riding in water, so it is difficult to go too far on flooded roads. Most roads go up and down, so it is normally only deep for short stretches.

I have ridden many times on dirt tracks, and often through mud. Of course the bike gets mud all over it.

The bike has 3 speed on the front, and a 9 speed freewheel on the back. I think it is Shimano.

The freewheel started catching. That is I would be riding along, and the wheel would turn the pedals. The freewheel was locking on.

I had a tire and tube replaced recently, as well as new brake calipers.

The mechanic was a young boy, maybe 12 years old. I told him about the freewheel, and he did not know how to take it apart. He put some oil in it and it worked properly most of the time.

Since that improved it, I thought I would put a lot more oil in it. I waited until I was a long way from where I live, or other people live. I lay the bike on its side, and put the back wheel up on a raised section of concrete, so I could still turn the pedals. I put some oil on the top of the freewheel, and spun it with the pedals. Then more oil and spun it again. I did this many times. I am amazed how fast oil runs into it. I eventually stood the bike up, and found there was plenty of oil on the chain already. There was also oil on the brake disc. I use the front brakes when going in a straight line, so I am not so concerned about that. Below where the freewheel had been was mud mixed with oil.

It works like new now.

I know, some of you would pull it apart, and use grease. Then you would not ride in mud, or suggest I pull it apart and put fresh grease in it after every time I ride through mud.

I have discovered a quick and easy fix, can still ride through mud, and still have a lot of fun.

I am actually surprised how easily mud gets in the freewheel. I thought it would be well sealed.
Old 06-23-20, 07:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Bearing seals don't totally prevent water (and the slurry of grit, like dirt/mud) from entering the bearings. But seals do keep the big stuff out and keep the bad water in.

As I read the OP I shuddered and hoped that I never have to service this poor bike. It sure sounds like it's been neglected, service wise, for way too long. Andy
Old 06-23-20, 07:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
So you traded your rear brake for a functioning freewheel.... Thanks for disposing of your waste oil in a responsible manner
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-23-20, 07:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If you ride through 2 feet of water, there isn't a freehub (that's what you have, not a freewheel) made that's sealed well enough not to allow water inside. If you continue to ride in those conditions, you will have to learn how to maintain and overhaul your bike frequently. Otherwise the hubs, headset and other bearings will be damaged and have to be replaced. Your freehub was just the first to show the problem.
Old 06-23-20, 09:20 AM
alo

Originally Posted by HillRider
If you ride through 2 feet of water, there isn't a freehub (that's what you have, not a freewheel) made that's sealed well enough not to allow water inside. If you continue to ride in those conditions, you will have to learn how to maintain and overhaul your bike frequently. Otherwise the hubs, headset and other bearings will be damaged and have to be replaced. Your freehub was just the first to show the problem.
It is a freewheel. All of the gears are joined together in one piece. This surprised me. The dérailleur is Shimano. I assume the freewheel is too. It is 9 speed. I had thought those with more gears were cassettes.

I bought it in SE Asia. Bikes are less expensive than the US. So it is easy to replace the bike. There is a new 26 inch fat bike with full suspension for sale here for US$250, I think. So it is not a big deal to replace the bike. Also, most bike mechanics here have little knowledge compared to the US. So getting unusual things done is difficult.
Old 06-23-20, 09:38 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Your first problem is submerging you hub, pedals, derailleurs, chain, and bottom bracket in water. 60cm is almost as high as the wheel. Almost all of your moving parts were submerged.
Riding in low mud on the ground is not the same as submerging completely in deeper water. You should try to keep the moving parts dry.
Old 06-23-20, 09:56 AM
alo

Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Your first problem is submerging you hub, pedals, derailleurs, chain, and bottom bracket in water. 60cm is almost as high as the wheel. Almost all of your moving parts were submerged.
Riding in low mud on the ground is not the same as submerging completely in deeper water. You should try to keep the moving parts dry.
and not have any fun.

If I had an expensive bike, I might be concerned. It costs very little to replace the bike.
Old 06-23-20, 10:04 AM
alo

In another place, people were buying fat bikes for $300, and hiring them out where people rode them on the beach, in salt water. They hired them for $10 per day. So when they had hired them for more than 30 days, they were already making a profit. You should have seen the bikes after being ridden in the ocean.

I look after my bike very well in comparison.
Old 06-23-20, 10:43 AM
KenCarlson

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
It is a freewheel. All of the gears are joined together in one piece. This surprised me. The dérailleur is Shimano. I assume the freewheel is too. It is 9 speed. I had thought those with more gears were cassettes.
Well I'll be... there is such a thing as a 9-speed freewheel:
https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/mfex9

Last edited by KenCarlson; 06-23-20 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-23-20, 12:48 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
That wasn't mud, that was rust. Do whatever you want with your bike, just don't involve me.
Old 06-23-20, 02:42 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Your wheel bearings and bottom bracket may be next.

I once toured with a guy who at the end of his previous season rode his entire bike into the ocean. He'd heard of the custom of dipping one's wheel, but he took it a step farther. He put the bike away for the winter with no maintenance, then decided to cross the continent again the next year. About 1000 km into the ride, his bike started falling apart. It started with repeated chain failures, then the wheels started wobbling on destroyed bearings, and finally the bottom bracket fell apart. He couldn't afford the repairs or a replacement bike so he went home.
Old 06-23-20, 03:16 PM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All of us enjoy a little fun now and again that's for sure. Most of us don't have $250-$300 to throw around and so would not intentionally dip our bikes in knee deep water and mud. It might be a necessity in a storm or unusual circumstances but then a full cleanup and lube are in order.
If this works for you have at it, but I don't think most of us here on these forums would do this.
Old 06-23-20, 08:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Its your bike. i say ride it the way you want to. if it is not a big thing to replace then have as much fun with it as you want.

i could not do it though (poor bike).
Old 06-24-20, 12:40 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
At this point, I'd just spring for a sealed gearhub.
Old 06-24-20, 01:21 PM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:16 PM
alo

Some people talk like the bike is going to break really soon. This is my third year with the bike. I have replaced tires and brakes. The bike just keeps going. If I get 5 or 6 years, then pay $250 or $300 for a new one, to me, that is not bad. Buying a new one also gives me a full set of spares.
Old 06-26-20, 04:25 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-26-20, 12:03 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Would it not be easier to just replace the freewheel? Why bother oiling it in that way and loose you rear brake? All around win-win. Recycle the old freewheel.
Old 06-27-20, 12:41 AM
alo

Originally Posted by SJX426
Would it not be easier to just replace the freewheel? Why bother oiling it in that way and loose you rear brake? All around win-win. Recycle the old freewheel.
A bit of dust lands on the disk and absorbs the oil. When the brakes are applied, it gets wiped off. The oil is soon gone.
Old 06-27-20, 04:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
alo If I understand correctly, the brake pad doesn't absorb any oil. Or are you expecting the brake pad to get hot enough to burn it out? On a rear brake?