Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Crisscross worn chain

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Schwinn Crisscross worn chain

Old 06-24-20, 07:52 AM
ndrose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Well, that can’t be good.
Old 06-25-20, 12:49 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
I have never seen teeth break off on a freewheel like that ....was it dropped or something dropped on it?

Old 06-25-20, 07:50 AM
ndrose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I have never seen teeth break off on a freewheel like that ....was it dropped or something dropped on it?
Nothing happened to it that I can think of. I noticed it when I was cleaning and relubing. I’ve never seen that happen either.

I put it in this thread because it’s the same old chain and freewheel that was under discussion. I’ve been riding it with the thought of getting a new bike this year and then making a project of finding suitable replacement parts for the old one at my leisure.

I sort of thought that as I continued to ride it and the old parts wore down, I might have trouble shifting or even start throwing the chain. At the worst, the chain might break. But it’s been ok so far—until this. Not a possible problem I had on my radar!

Last edited by ndrose; 06-25-20 at 08:51 AM.