Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

first time chain dropped on dutch Workcycle Oma- chain loose

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 03:58 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

after 3 years of trouble free riding on my Oma, her chain dropped 2 blocks from work- ack!

i pushed the rest of the way to work, parked and ran to my worksite.

i have opened the chain case cover once before to adjust the shifter so i was able to open it again after work and down shifted inorder to pull the chain back on the rear cog and rode home.

with my old 3 speed Robin Hood, when the chain was loose, i loosened and pulled the rear wheel until there was less slack.

what do i do with Oma? how do i increase the tension on Oma? i looked up Workcycles but the only video that comes up is for their Fr8 or Gr8 about adjusting the chain tension but it looks different from my Oma.
Old 07-15-20, 04:15 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The stud sticking out of the dropout, with the nut and thumbscrew or spacer of some type, looks to be a chain tug. Loosen the axle nuts and tighten the chain tug nut until you achieve the desired tension, which should be low enough to be able to move the chain up and down 10-12mm. Too much tension will cause noise and undue wear. Tighten the axle nuts back up and you should be good to go.
Old 07-16-20, 01:58 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
You may also want to check the chain for wear or otherwise know as "stretch", that may explain why all of a sudden it's too long.