Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Why would anyone not want to have Gear Indicators on their Gear Shifters?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Why would anyone not want to have Gear Indicators on their Gear Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 09:05 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
Inspired by this thread, I decided to pay attention whether I actually use my gear indicators or not.
Great to be of use.
Old 03-01-16, 01:13 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I like this kind. Especially on my tandem where I can't see and might want to know what's going on without yelling at the stoker. I have no use for the kind built into the lever. Those are just dumb breaky parts.

Old 03-01-16, 01:34 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Wow, so many upset feelings on this subject....

I've never gone out of my way to remove a gear indicator on a bike. But I rarely look at the bikes that have them, my Globe is a 1x8, it's not complicated to know I need to shift up or down. The only time I need to 'check' my gearing is the chain ring, since there is overlap in the gear ratios from one ring to another, and this is very rare. Plus I find the simple gear indicators hard to read/understand.

To the other side of the issue, with the newest electronic drivetrains, you can display the gearing on your Garmin... So there's that.
Old 03-01-16, 03:05 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
No, just a question.
Your question is quite akin to asking why do children's bikes have training wheels.
I am sure you understand the answer to that.
Gear indicators are basically training wheels for adults
Old 03-01-16, 04:03 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Your question is quite akin to asking why do children's bikes have training wheels.
I am sure you understand the answer to that.
Gear indicators are basically training wheels for adults
Don't be ridiculous.
Old 03-01-16, 04:15 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neither of my current road bikes have them. A former bike with a more entry-level group set had them.
My impression is that owners of higher-end bikes are vaguely insulted by the insinuation that they don't instinctively know what gear they're in all the time.

Riding a bike that has indicators, I do (rarely) find it helpful. Mostly to know if you're at the top/bottom of the rear gear range and need to go to a smaller/bigger ring in the front. Not often, but occasionally helpful. Obviously you can always look back at the rear cassette and see where the chain is, and that's what I do on both of my current road bikes, but it is a bit slower way to get that information.

Someone will probably chime in any second now and say there is something wrong with my shifting technique, but my tendency is to stay in whatever front ring I'm already in, and shift up and down the rear cassette by feel - only exception being when there is an abrupt change in grade.

Last edited by alathIN; 03-01-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 06:27 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a thread that didn't need to come back.
Old 03-01-16, 07:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Didn't need 'em on my 1970s era 10-speed (2x5). The position of the downtube levers were the indicators. Relatively few gears, clearer indication by the lever position.

But with grip shifters on my 3x7 bike, sure, indicators are helpful. There's no other physical positioning to give a clue, and in traffic I'm not gonna look down at the chain ring, let alone the rear cassette.

I don't use apps or even my wristwatch to evaluate my progress over the past six months since I resumed cycling. But I do pay attention to the gears as a rough gauge of progress in conditioning. I was surprised recently to realize I was using the big chain ring more often now on flats -- a few months ago I used the big ring only on downhills. It felt the same as being in the middle chain ring a couple of months ago. So cadence and apparent felt resistance wasn't a reliable indicator.

It's an encouraging indicator. But in practical everyday cycling terms, I still just shift to whatever feels right without much regard to the number in the window.
Old 03-01-16, 09:14 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
Here's a thread that didn't need to come back.
Too true. However, if you are looking for an evening's entertainment, Grey, head on over to this new thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...hem-about.html
Old 03-02-16, 04:10 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Looks like Shimano is starting to remove the gear indicators in their road going lower level lineup. Curious if they will eventually do that with the mountain bikes too?

Shimano's New Sora and Metrea Groups | Bicycling
Old 07-13-20, 04:30 PM
Gruchen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all.
Interesting, old discussion. A bit sorry for reopening, but I think I might add a slight pebble into the garden ;-)

I'd switched recently from my old 3x10 Deore SLX trekking bike into SRAM's Eagle 1x12 eMTB. I was SHOCKED, when I'd figured that it misses the gear indicator. The transition is very hard to me because of that.
At first, I didn't notice, just riding around and getting used to the bike and having fun. Not really care for the gears, just aligning them with my legs feeling. But then I rode for a ride across the nearby hills. And then I noticed...
Initially, I thought that this is just a crappy SX switcher that lacks it. Then I checked upper classes and there is none as well!
So I'd also compared higher MTB gear from Shimano, finding, to my amusement, that it's completely gone as well. I was so shocked to my findings, that I started wondering (same as Colonel ;-)) why people would like to not have the indicator... And found this thread... :-D

I can agree with many posts, after riding my old bike for so many years, that I totally accustomed to how it behaves, to almost never look on the indicators and just drive it by feel. I totally buy it.

Yet switching to a totally different kind of bike, gear system, and even different riding philosophy is a "bit" overwhelming to figure out.

I'm quite accustomed to gently switching gears while climbing (I'm not racing, so why care of a small lost top a speed) to accommodate for my solid (over)weight and lack of constitution. I also very often haul a carrier with my youngest adding to the mess (and how much extra dragging force I must overcome).
So while still learning a new gear system I really miss access for fast information - where I'm on my cassette now! Mostly to know, how much climbing force BUFFER do I still have. Can I still switch to a lower a gear if needed? Or more? Or the only option left is to crank motor into the Turbo mode? What if it's already in Turbo? Maybe it's just too steep to continue, and instead of wasting my energy pedaling, I'd better just start walking already?
It's just few glances + hearing how the motor sounds to figure out - "I'm already at max boost, I had only two gears left, but my legs / lungs are close to the limit, and speed is already low. Better jump off now, instead of trying more, to not over force myself, or even loose traction, so we both fall down."

Yeah, I guess, that when few months pass I will be laughing at my current dilemma. But now, lack of this small piece of information when transiting to new riding style is just sad. Probably is not worth adding it for everyone...

And I do not buy "breaking piece" argument for shifters without indicator - mine never broke, neither I ever hear of shifter malfunction; not without earlier total disaster at the derailleur side ;-)
Old 07-16-20, 02:02 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
Since I got old, I've needed reading glasses to read anything with tiny characters, so I pay no attention to the ones on my Hybrid.
I don't look at the shift knob in my car either, the tach & sound of the engine tells me when to shift.
Old 07-16-20, 03:51 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I'm in the middle, two ways: to improve my old mtb commuter cockpit, I changed the front shifter to a vintage thumb. No indicator, but none needed. It's either end or the middle. Rear der is a Shimano indexed 9. When I'm totally into the ride, I really don't need the indicator. Feeling is complete and adequate.
When I have a fixation situation: cars, potholes, dodging debris, I may forget, and it's good to have the info. I also think too much about chainline and like to keep as straight as practicable