Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How To Cushion Handlebar When You Can't Replace Handgrips

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How To Cushion Handlebar When You Can't Replace Handgrips

Old 07-30-20, 06:18 PM
kc27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How To Cushion Handlebar When You Can't Replace Handgrips?

I have a 1970s three-speed bike that has a twist grip shifter and matching handgrip on the non-shifting side. I want to add cushioning to the handlebars because the stock grips offer minimal cushioning. I also need to retain the original twist shifting mechanism. Would a foam grip expand enough to fit on the 31 mm diameter shifter? The non-shifting handgrip is approximately 28 mm in diameter. Maybe cushioning tape over the shifter and the non-shifting grip? Thanks for any ideas on this.

Last edited by kc27; 07-30-20 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 04:50 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Have you tried gel-padded gloves?
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 07-31-20, 06:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I used to use weightlifter's gloves before I eventually padded my bars. the weightlifting gloves had more padding than cycling gloves.

For the last dozen years I have been padding my bars with foam pipe insulation. I get the kind that looks like grey "pool noodles" but it is not as thick. The only issue would be if would grip the existing grip enough to twist, and if it would hold up to the torquing, and if it could be gripped enough to twist the shifter.

One other thing I did for a while before padding the bars was to stuff a dr.sholls heel pad (or two) in my bike gloves. I also did that with my batting gloves for softball.

You may also want to look at non-slip advesive drawer and shelf liner from the hardware store. It's the kind with soft little rubber bumps. You could cut it to shape and wrap it as many times as necessary...that might work well for twisting the shifter.

Last edited by BobbyG; 07-31-20 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 07:26 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Got an old tube that could be cut and slipped over the grips?
Old 07-31-20, 12:40 PM
kc27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, you've given me some options to try. In an effort to reduce pressure on the hands, I already had raised the handlebars. The rider said that helped reduce pressure on the grips, but feels some sort of modern handgrip cushioning is still needed.
Old 08-03-20, 05:04 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by kc27
I have a 1970s three-speed bike that has a twist grip shifter and matching handgrip on the non-shifting side. I want to add cushioning to the handlebars because the stock grips offer minimal cushioning. I also need to retain the original twist shifting mechanism. Would a foam grip expand enough to fit on the 31 mm diameter shifter? The non-shifting handgrip is approximately 28 mm in diameter. Maybe cushioning tape over the shifter and the non-shifting grip? Thanks for any ideas on this.

nice hydrangeas!
Old 08-03-20, 06:18 PM
kc27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for noticing the hydrangeas. Two weeks ago they were at their brightest. Now starting to fade. Wish the white lasted longer.

RE: the handlebar cushions, I jury-rigged some cushions on to the existing handgrips. The cost for the cushions used was $10 for a weighted jump rope from Walmart, which was my donor for the cushions. I could have gone with cushions from a $5 weighted jump rope from Dollar General, or cushions from $4 hand weights from a thrift store, but those two options were damaged as I learned how to do this. Things I learned were:

1. My neatest, but not perfect was achieved by using a sharp bread knife. If anyone knows the secret to getting a perfectly straight cut in foam, please share the secret.

2. I soaked the cushions in hot water (200 degrees F) for about 1 minute before installing to make them more pliable

3. I tore cushions by overstretching. This was a prestretch to loosen the cushion prior to installing. I got too enthusiastic and ripped the foam. I think warming the cushions in hot water instead of pre-stretching was the best way to go.

The cushions from the Dollar General jump rope were styled with indented colored rings in the black foam. The indents look nice, but the foam is thinner at the indents, and that's where they tore as I pulled the cushions over the existing grips. I did not warm these grips in hot water prior to installation. They may have installed fine if they had been warmed first.

Here is what the cushions look like on the bike. From the back, you can still see the original white grips, but I am not going to attempt to conceal them. The rider is happy with the bike now, saying the previous hand/wrist discomfort while riding the bike is gone. That was the goal with this experiment, so I am going to quit while I am ahead.

Likes For kc27:
Old 08-04-20, 08:39 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Htfu!
Old 08-05-20, 02:03 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
I have wrist neuropathies that annoy , and while your solutions are more elegant, I have been known to use pipe insulation and pool noodles
as padding.
They are good for trials when seeing what makes a difference
Old 08-07-20, 11:55 AM
kc27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hadn't thought about pipe insulation, and I have some laying around, too. Another option would have been padded grip tape like the type at https://esigrips.com/

In the long run, this rider will probably end up with a comfort bike where the seat tube is lower than the head tube, like a Giant Cypress DX. The raised handlebar design looks like it would minimize stress on the wrists. I'm guessing a suspension fork would help, too.