Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

PSA test, cycling.

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

PSA test, cycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 10:30 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
PSA test, cycling.

I recently had a PSA test with a result that was significantly higher than the one I had one year ago. This year's number was 1.5. One year ago I had a 0.5. Keep in mind that I have been taking propecia for many years, so one is supposed to apply a multiplication factor of at least 2. I have been referred to a urologist and have the appt in three weeks.

Here's my question. I'm wondering whether anyone here has had a PSA increase, that after a while, went back down, one which you believe was elevated from cycling. I had my test on July 1st. In June I biked over 300 miles, hard miles. Ten days before the test I did a 40 mile ride, half gravel, and my butt was so sore when I got done, that for two days, I had problems with pain getting up from a chair. It really hurt. It was trauma to the area, physical pressure in a straight line from left to right, behind the very high thigh and straight across the perineum to the other thigh, high on the thigh. My seat nose needs to be tilted down more I think. I then had an additional two x 30 mile rides before the July 1st test. I guess my butt felt good enough to go ride again. So I did 100 miles in the ten days prior to the test. I allowed 4 days after the last ride before having the PSA test. I also have a small saddle sore right down by the perineum, in the crease between my thigh and the perineum. I think it's a infected follicle, like a small pea. Didn't even know I had it until I went feeling around. It's improving, since I have decided that I will do no cycling until I see the urologist. The pain I was having after the 40 mile ride was not due to the saddle sore. It was more of a bruising to the entire area.

So...anyone here ever have an elevated PSA from a chronic butt issue or from an acute "butt injury" from cycling?
Old 07-15-20, 11:20 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I have had PSA test done while I was riding 200 mile weeks or even after 40-50 mile rides within days. They did not seem to effect my level. For the record I had BPH and I ended up having Greenlight laser surgery so I could pee. It was bad and I could hardly go. My suggestion is to look into greenlight surgery if you need more room to pee. Also the PSA test is certainly helpful it is not the end all.

The rate of rise in the PSA or PSA velocity is more telling. See a good urologist and make sure all is ok and possible a way to avoid the drugs with surgery. For the record also I had 3 biopsies over a 8 year period all negative. Negative just means they did not find anything in the samples but not a 100% guarantee your free of cancer. My PSA went in 2007 from 2.7 to 3.2. Then 6 months later went to 3.8 and biopsy's were done. Then in about 2013 it jumps to 9.2 after being around 4.25 most of the time. That also was negative and maybe something going on or infection but nothing I could tell. 6 months after that it dropped back to 4.8.

In the long run the greenlight surgery left me going to pee about 8-9 times in a 24 hour period. Before that I was going at least 16-20 times a day not ever able to empty bladder. I could go 4 times on a 5 mile ride. Now I can ride 50 miles not bathroom break
Old 07-15-20, 04:08 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I recently had a PSA test with a result that was significantly higher than the one I had one year ago. This year's number was 1.5. One year ago I had a 0.5. Keep in mind that I have been taking propecia for many years, so one is supposed to apply a multiplication factor of at least 2. I have been referred to a urologist and have the appt in three weeks.

Here's my question. I'm wondering whether anyone here has had a PSA increase, that after a while, went back down, one which you believe was elevated from cycling. I had my test on July 1st. In June I biked over 300 miles, hard miles. Ten days before the test I did a 40 mile ride, half gravel, and my butt was so sore when I got done, that for two days, I had problems with pain getting up from a chair. It really hurt. It was trauma to the area, physical pressure in a straight line from left to right, behind the very high thigh and straight across the perineum to the other thigh, high on the thigh. My seat nose needs to be tilted down more I think. I then had an additional two x 30 mile rides before the July 1st test. I guess my butt felt good enough to go ride again. So I did 100 miles in the ten days prior to the test. I allowed 4 days after the last ride before having the PSA test. I also have a small saddle sore right down by the perineum, in the crease between my thigh and the perineum. I think it's a infected follicle, like a small pea. Didn't even know I had it until I went feeling around. It's improving, since I have decided that I will do no cycling until I see the urologist. The pain I was having after the 40 mile ride was not due to the saddle sore. It was more of a bruising to the entire area.

So...anyone here ever have an elevated PSA from a chronic butt issue or from an acute "butt injury" from cycling?

Infection, inflammation, irritation caused by cycling, lifting, sex etc. can affect PSA numbers by raising it. A rapid rise over time is often of greater concern than a gradual rise. Before having a needle biopsy many doctors are requesting a 3TmpMRI be performed. Just a FYI, the in office TRUS biopsy performed by many Urologists is not very thorough and very often will miss areas of concern and that is why the MRI is done before a biopsy.
Old 07-19-20, 06:50 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have had PSA test done while I was riding 200 mile weeks or even after 40-50 mile rides within days. They did not seem to effect my level. For the record I had BPH and I ended up having Greenlight laser surgery so I could pee. It was bad and I could hardly go. My suggestion is to look into greenlight surgery if you need more room to pee. Also the PSA test is certainly helpful it is not the end all.

The rate of rise in the PSA or PSA velocity is more telling. See a good urologist and make sure all is ok and possible a way to avoid the drugs with surgery. For the record also I had 3 biopsies over a 8 year period all negative. Negative just means they did not find anything in the samples but not a 100% guarantee your free of cancer. My PSA went in 2007 from 2.7 to 3.2. Then 6 months later went to 3.8 and biopsy's were done. Then in about 2013 it jumps to 9.2 after being around 4.25 most of the time. That also was negative and maybe something going on or infection but nothing I could tell. 6 months after that it dropped back to 4.8.

In the long run the greenlight surgery left me going to pee about 8-9 times in a 24 hour period. Before that I was going at least 16-20 times a day not ever able to empty bladder. I could go 4 times on a 5 mile ride. Now I can ride 50 miles not bathroom break
If I do have BPH, I don't have much in the way of symptoms. The only thing I am aware of is that I injured my butt 10 days before the test, and then immediately rode two more times. I beat it up pretty hard. I'm hoping my PSA increase was due to the injury, but I'm starting to think it's probably unlikely. I'm guessing a 1 in 5 chance. We'll see. I have an appt soon with two different urologists. I'm getting that second opinion immediately. Hopefully the next PSA test is back to my normal.
Old 07-20-20, 10:49 AM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
PSA test, cycling.

I just had a PSA at 4.3; I had a discussion with a Urologist this AM and was told once you are 70 they usually no longer do the test. I am 78 but they will do another in 6 mo. as mine was 2.0 two years ago. He said if you are over 70 and they do enough biopsies they will eventually find some.I had several biopsies 15 -20 years ago that were negative ; it is a pretty uncomfortable test.
Old 08-05-20, 07:22 PM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Consider getting a 4k score test (Four-kallikrein test), or PHI (prostate health index) These tests take advantage of the idea that prostate cancer cells make psa differently than benign prostate cells.
Old 08-08-20, 12:07 PM
Wattsup

Update 8-8-2020. So I saw two different urologists. Both said the same thing....test PSA again in 6 months. They thought it prudent to test again in 6 months, but they did not think my PSA trend was so alarming that I needed an immediate biopsy.

I asked the one uro about getting another PSA test now. She said she didn't recommend it, as it would "provide no diagnostic value." I explained to her that, althought it might not have value to her, it would to me, as I have stopped riding for over 30 days (so hard!) and I wanted to see whether the PSA rise was due to the 100 hard gravel miles I had done prior to the test, and how I injured my butt on one ride just ten days prior to the test. I said I would pay for the test. She replied, if that's what you want, go ahead. So that's what I did, just got the results back today.

My PSA results I got back today is 0.3. That's almost HALF of what it was a year ago, 0.5, and just slightly higher than what it was 5 years ago. Guess what folks. i'm pretty sure my 1.5 result from 5 weeks ago was due to the cycling.
Old 08-08-20, 12:34 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Cycling does increase my PSA. I figured it out comparing my annual PSA test to my riding schedule. The first time it jumped from 2.1 to 3.8. Given my family history my urologist suggested a prostate biopsy... not pleasant but not that bad.. nothing found. I had a PSA 6 months later and it was back in the low 2s. 6 month again... low 2s, 6 months later back up in the high 3s. So after discussing with my urologist I didn't ride for 2 weeks and got retested... low 2s.

He explains that that riding is causing inflammation in the prostate which raises the PSA. Take some time off and it goes away. After discussion with other urologists he feels there is no permanent harm being done.

So when i know i'll be tested, I take 2 weeks off.