Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Thigh Cramps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 07:40 PM
mcallaghan

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Merlin Titanium Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thigh Cramps?

In years past, I get pretty bad thigh cramps around the 40 mile mark. It seems worse around the area that my shorts end (to give an idea of location) and can get pretty painful - the first time I had them I had to call a ride in to pick me up and I could barely walk for a day or two. The second time, I felt it coming on, and tried to stretch it out but it was too late and I couldn't walk for a day. The third and fourth time, I took more time and started to do some stretching well before the 'breaking point' which let me ride 50 miles. Today and two weeks ago, when I hit the 30+ mile mark, my thighs felt really 'heavy' and painful in that same spot a few minutes after getting off the bike. It was only a 2.5 hour ride (today) and very overcast (quite nice for riding, actually, only in the high 60's/low 70's as opposed to the 80 degree heat we've been having.

Now, dehydration...pretty sure its not that. I drink a lot of water all day and usually drink a water-bottle an hour when out on a ride.

I haven't felt tired and my legs didn't feel tired either - I felt like I could have stayed out longer, if not for that somewhat sudden growing pain in my thighs. I wasn't out of breath or anything. Ate a banana for breakfast and was drinking the whole way on my ride.

Any ideas? I was fitted for my bike so that shouldn't be an issue. Other rides I am fine - no signs or leg fatigue - it seems to be more a mileage thing than anything. Should I look into taking supplements to make sure I have no deficiencies? Endurolytes seem to be the thing most recommended...those and tums, which I find strange, but those are rather chalky.
Old 07-05-15, 07:56 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carry TUMS with you in a zip lock bag, they are hi in calcium. When the cramps start, chew a handful of TUMS, drink some water, and you should get some releaf. PS Wally World sell generic TUMS.

FYI

Good Luck.
Old 07-05-15, 08:42 PM
tedder

Bikes: 04 Giant TCR Composite 0, Public r16; old Raleigh 10sp; Felt fixie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you drink only water? or does it have electrolytes?
Old 07-05-15, 09:16 PM
Gyrine

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Raleigh POS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that you are overdoing it, not water, potassium, or electrolytes. You might try to integrate a leg conditioning program that incorporates some weight lifting.
Old 07-05-15, 09:32 PM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden 500 miles since may. Been getting out and doing about 10 - 12 miles before work (and tomorrow will be day 2 of doing 18 - 25 miles before work) plus longer rides on the weekends. I am not the most fit person, of course, and weight-lifting is not much of an option for me right now. I would have assumed the frequency by now would have started to make up for things? I will try tums and electrolytes too and see if that improves things.
Old 07-06-15, 04:56 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
How tight are the grippers or bands on the legs of your shorts?

I have found, sometimes, one long riders, that I either have to move the bottoms of the shorts up or down my legs to avoid cramping in that area. Or change to an entirely different pair.

Yes, there is a chance that dehydration, overuse and electrolytes may have a role. But it seems that there is a certain consistency in this, and you do reference your shorts as a location of the cramping.
Old 07-06-15, 07:48 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Tums are just calcium. I know of no evidence that calcium alone prevents leg cramps. I'm not even sure that electrolytes are always key, but if you are going to take supplements, take something that is balanced.

Last edited by MinnMan; 07-06-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 07:56 AM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've worn much tighter shorts in the past. These ones are not particularly tight around the leg band (and my legs tend to be on the skinny side too). The leg band doesn't even leave a mark on me, so I don't think its going to be that.

My legs feel fine today. I will try taking some supplements to make up for any deficiencies and see if that makes a difference.

The fact that it occurs in the same spot on both legs at the same time around the same mileage is what confuses me. It can't be the leg-grippers as that would suggest a 'time' thing and I have done shorter rides for the same amount of time (typically riding up one of the mountains out here, so there is little pedaling on the way down) or longer and have been been perfectly fine. I am wondering if its more about the pedal strokes - using my legs more - than anything.
Old 07-06-15, 08:06 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
What cadence do you ride at? Generally, cramps come when you ride harder than your fitness will allow. Try riding a gear or two easier than normal.
Old 07-06-15, 08:12 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Having experienced a whole range of muscle cramps, including events that sound a lot like yours, my guess is that you won't ever know exactly what causes them, but that they will go away.

For those who would try to give you authoritative answers about the causes and cures, medical science simply does not know the answer. For example, see

Exercise-Associated Muscle Cramps

"Exercise-associated muscle cramps (EAMC) are a common condition experienced by recreational and competitive athletes. Despite their commonality and prevalence, their cause remains unknown. Theories for the cause of EAMC are primarily based on anecdotal and observational studies rather than sound experimental evidence. Without a clear cause, treatments and prevention strategies for EAMC are often unsuccessful."
Old 07-06-15, 08:35 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Tums are just calcium. I know of no evidence that calcium alone prevents leg cramps. I'm not even sure that electrolytes are always key, but if you are going to take supplements, take something that is balanced.
Correct TUMS are just calcium. But what I do work for me works for me so it was a suggestion. I only drink water, and this time of year in 2-1/2 out on the road riding. I consume 4--6 Twenty Ounce bottles water. in 2-2.5 hour as I perspire like a fat pig, and alway have.

Remember in the early 60's going through Marine Corps Boot Camp in San Diego. It was July, August & September. Very hot time of year, and water & salt pill swere all that was available to keep from passing out. But we were all young, doctor said we were all in grat health, and no one died.
Old 07-06-15, 08:54 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by TheManShow
Correct TUMS are just calcium. But what I do work for me works for me so it was a suggestion. .
uh huh.
Old 07-06-15, 09:51 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
uh huh.

Just remember we are all different, just like some people have anapholptic reactions to drug like penicillin, other people it work like it was designed to. I use to carry TUMS with my in those little plastic containers you got photographic film in. Now they arre carried in a snack size baggy.

TUMS seem to help with leg cramps in my case, you might want to they this out to see if it works for you. Remeber before cell phones, there were pay phone on ever cornor. Both work to make a call in time of need to make a phone call.

Superman many time did his clothing change in an old phone booth.
Old 07-06-15, 12:16 PM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure what my cadence is, but here is my Strava from the ride: Thigh Cramp Ride

As you can see, its basically a 15-mile downhill followed by a 15 mile uphill. I rode in my Big Ring the whole way down. Middle ring the whole way up - except for two instances where I switched to my granny gear. The turnaround point and the very last climb up to where I live. Short sections, but hit 20% grade.

I ride a Surly Disc Trucker with Continental Gator Hardshell tires. Tubus rear rack, and Ortlieb panniers (Rear and handlebar). Brooks saddle. Roadies pass me, but I pass people on Hybrids and Mountain Bikes. Shorter rides for the same period, especially going up the big climbs here, I spend a lot more time spinning in my granny gear but my legs are fine.
Old 07-06-15, 05:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
You are partly correct: calcium has nothing to do with it. Nonetheless, take a Tums at first sign of cramps anywhere and they usually won't become full-blown cramps. If you do get a cramp, take 2 Tums and it will go away unbelievably quickly. We don't know why, but it works for everyone we know who's tried it. We suspect some binder or other substance. It's too quick to be the calcium, also see below.

We find that the product which works best is the Tums Regular, 500mg. The 750 works less well, and the 1000 less well than that. The Regular may be a bit hard to find, but is worth looking for. Tums brand is the best. Store brands work less well. I wouldn't take them prophylactically as too much calcium is not good for you. Only take them at the first sign of a cramp.
Old 07-07-15, 07:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
I'd put my money on simply insufficient conditioning for the intensity, and double-down on the bet that adding easy, base miles will alleviate the problem.

Soreness for days suggests real muscle strain, and not simple cramping.

500 miles in 8-9weeks at 30-50 mile rides each is less than 2 rides a week; peel out the commute miles, throw in the on/off nature of the mountains, and I don't see where the conditioning is to support high mileage, hard efforts.

Throw a valley ride in and get the endurance miles to support the hour+ climbs.
Old 07-07-15, 07:27 AM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been doing base miles....3 - 4 days a week doing 10 - 12 mile rides in before work. On the weekend, did the longer 20 mile rides up/down the mountain and have been stretching that into the down valley ride for longer mileage. We've had a very wet spring - river at flood levels, more rain in May than for the past 20 years, etc, so the riding has been sporadic. Thunderstorms expected today (looks like its about to rain) so skipping the ride.

It seems odd to me that a ride of about the same length (time wise) but 8 more miles causes the thigh issue.
Old 07-07-15, 11:37 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My guess is that your cramps are related to training intensity as others have said. Also they can be exacerbated by poor circulation. My wife gets foot cramps on a long ride, but if she loosens her shoes after maybe 20 miles, she doesn't. You could try rolling or folding your shorts legs up and see if that makes a difference. Socks which are tight at the top can also be a problem.

But in general, just keep pushing your limits. They'll keep going up if you keep pushing. But yeah, if you go 8 miles further in the same amount of time, that's definitely a more intense ride! So that could easily cause cramping.
Old 08-06-15, 10:29 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I'd put my money on simply insufficient conditioning for the intensity, and double-down on the bet that adding easy, base miles will alleviate the problem.
I disagree with blaming conditioning or lack of base miles. I rode yesterday at a pace 15% less than my typical maximum, and I have 4,100 base miles since Jan 1, 2015. I've never been fitter (though I could be more fitterer). Yet yesterday, I somehow had simultaneous cramps in both calves and both inner thighs at the end of a hot 45 mile ride. I've done x7 75-125 mile rides in the past 2 months, so distance was not a factor. The only thing I really did differently before the cramps began, was to hammer while in an aero position for a relatively long time (~60 minutes more-or-less non-stop) due to a nasty relentless headwind. I wonder if aero hammering has any effect on cramping due to exertion while the hamstrings are stretched?
Old 08-06-15, 10:31 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Try some Tonic Water with Quinine....It works.

Old 08-06-15, 10:40 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Try some Tonic Water with Quinine....It works.
What ratio of tonic to Q? What amount of this mixture needs to be consumed? Is is consumed before the ride, or just after the muscles start to twinge? Can I just put a small flask (5 oz) of it in my jersey pocket, and only use in case of emergency?
Old 08-07-15, 07:45 AM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am back from my tour and am more confounded than before.

I averaged 42 miles a day (30 being the shortest, 55 being the longest) with no thigh cramps or even anything remotely close to them. My legs were sore from time to time, but a general sort of soreness that felt better when I was riding (vs off the bike).

I think I averaged around 10 MPH and would take a break generally 15 - 22 miles into each day (roughly around lunchtime) for lunch and would usually take close to an hour. I didn't use any of the supplements (endurolytes, salt sticks) until the last day - when I was worried that doing 55 miles might be too much, but luckily half of it was a general flat/down direction.

So it makes me wonder - perhaps its a combination of lack of O2 (I do live at 8000ft elevation), heat (70's - 80's, my trip was mostly in the high 50's and low 60's), and sweat depletion.
Old 08-07-15, 07:57 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by mcallaghan
Well, I am back from my tour and am more confounded than before.

I averaged 42 miles a day (30 being the shortest, 55 being the longest) with no thigh cramps or even anything remotely close to them. My legs were sore from time to time, but a general sort of soreness that felt better when I was riding (vs off the bike).

I think I averaged around 10 MPH and would take a break generally 15 - 22 miles into each day (roughly around lunchtime) for lunch and would usually take close to an hour. I didn't use any of the supplements (endurolytes, salt sticks) until the last day - when I was worried that doing 55 miles might be too much, but luckily half of it was a general flat/down direction.

So it makes me wonder - perhaps its a combination of lack of O2 (I do live at 8000ft elevation), heat (70's - 80's, my trip was mostly in the high 50's and low 60's), and sweat depletion.
More likely it's simply fitness related. At least one example you provided earlier was a long ride when your legs were rested and fresh. This allows you to push a little harder than you could if you'd been riding more regularly and resulted in some cramps. When touring your legs aren't fresh which limits how hard you can push. That and you're gaining fitness.

If you continue to ride regularly the cramps will go away.
Old 08-07-15, 07:58 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheManShow
Carry TUMS with you in a zip lock bag, they are hi in calcium. When the cramps start, chew a handful of TUMS, drink some water, and you should get some releaf. PS Wally World sell generic TUMS.

FYI

Good Luck.

Would this help prevent them after a ride?
Old 08-29-16, 11:04 AM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started cycling, I get thigh cramps at the front. I use to walk and run.

Now I dont get cramp anymore. My muscle are just tired.

This is improvement right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.