Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you really pay for?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What do you really pay for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 02:47 PM
cellery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
I can also buy a 50 inch TV for $350, $500, 700$ and well into multiple thousands of dollars. Many have features I don't know if I want until I actually own it. Many of them have better or worse picture quality that is not noticeable until I own multiples of them. Which one(s) I end up buying and keeping are personal choices that reflect my budget and personal desires and percieved needs. For some reason, people like to act as if bicycles are unique in this category of need vs. want consumer products where certain price points garner slight or intangible improvements in quality.
Old 09-30-16, 03:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
For a 5K/year plus rider - racer or not...you are paying for
-Spare parts - As parts get worn, as parts break - can you get the replacement parts.
-Supported - Like the above is it something the LBS - or you can deal with fixing, tuning.
-Function without thought - Do the things work without you having to finesse them.
-Power transfer / performance - Does the bike handle your power in a way you enjoy.
-Reliability - does it give you the life you expect.

Racers:
-Weight
-Lowest friction Watts loss
-What is neutral support running
-Aero for whatever you are doing
-Team/sponsors - is it what the team thinks is cool

Me for my kid:
-Is it cool, minimalist, on the edge, outstanding performance and has me holding my breath to see if it makes it to the end of junior's race.
Old 10-01-16, 07:33 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeichelberg87
This is crapola.

Better wheels, better brakes, better groupsets do not constitute glitz and a name in these parts...
There comes the point of diminished returns meaning that when those better frames and components that are easily recognisable as expensive have zero effect of on a rider's performance, they do in fact become glitz or rather vestiges of conspicuous consumption and status symbols as much as an indicator of a cycling enthusiast.

Not that that means anything of any significance other than perhaps the person riding the 10K bicycle who is only capable of riding along at 14 mph, has either a lot of discretionary income to spend, or a blistering passion for cycling, or both.

If I had the dosh, I would ride a "better", as in premium brand with best components bicycle and make no excuses for my speed because I would enjoy riding it for every bit I'm and it's worth. Simple.

As it is for me, I ride my "training quality" bicycle as passionately as I can because for me, it's the equivalent of a 10K bicycle because it likely moves me just as quickly/efficiently for my skills set and so I treat it like a 10K bike and enjoy it for all it's worth and then some.

Just ride.
Old 10-01-16, 08:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Back to what the op claims his point to be: he needs to arrange long test rides or better still weekend bike rentals of the high-end gear and make his own opinions.
Old 10-01-16, 09:00 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Chainrings will wear. In theory, the better ones last longer, and it's one place where I believe the claims, but there is still a point of diminishing returns where to get X% longer wear, you pay X+Y% more money.

Cassettes and chains definitely don't last as long as bikes do. Chainrings usually do.

Shimano 105 is higher quality than most people need. That is why MY PERSONAL point of diminishing return is around the Tiagra or 105 level.

Your wheels should not need such frequent truing and tightening. The fact that they do indicates bad labor, not bad materials. Have a GOOD wheel builder tension and true the wheels.

What kind of bike are you riding? Some bikes can take wider tires, and some can't.
I think I'd challenge this premise. More expensive (i have a problem with the word 'better') chainrings and cassettes are lighter, but ask yourself why. Those titanium sprockets likely hold up to wear n'tear less so than steel counterparts. From this respect, 105 probably holds up better than Dura Ace. Campy Record less durable than Athena
Old 10-01-16, 07:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think I'd challenge this premise. More expensive (i have a problem with the word 'better') chainrings and cassettes are lighter, but ask yourself why. Those titanium sprockets likely hold up to wear n'tear less so than steel counterparts. From this respect, 105 probably holds up better than Dura Ace. Campy Record less durable than Athena
You're right, and I suppose it's gotten worse in recent years. Sometimes the more expensive thing is lighter and more durable, but sometimes it's lighter at the expense of durability. And they never tell you which, of course. I'm hopelessly sentimental about Campagnolo Nuovo Record and Super Record stuff from the late 70s and early 80s. In some ways, nothing else made since then is as durable. They did some dumb things like titanium BB spindle and even worse, the aluminum freewheel cogs. But generally, not only was it reliable and durable, it seemed designed to withstand crashes better than anything. The rear derailleur and brake levers stick out more than anything, and they held up well. I don't think crashworthiness is even a design criterion any more. Of course, I could be wrong.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-02-16, 12:32 PM
SquireBikesalot

Bikes: Garneau R1, Felt V85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like, what do you literally pay for? It's mostly different materials as far I can tell. I just ordered a new handlebar for my "cheaper" bike that's exactly the same as what I've been using on my carbon fiber bike, but it's a lower grade of aluminum, the higher version is claimed 20g lighter for 50% more money, hah! I obviously can't say yet if they feel the same, but I'm willing to bet I won't be able to tell the difference through cushy bar tape.
Old 04-21-20, 04:56 PM
Rider_1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
A slippery slope if we are only permitted to buy a bike we could utilize to the max. Don't think you really want to promote that. Sorry the lady with the Trek offended you so badly you still talk about it 9 years later. Must have been tough!
This is why I left this forum for years. Cranky, know-nothing know-it-all posters who look for any reason to jump on someone. Who said I was offended? Certainly not me. I was simply relating an experience and trying to offer some understanding of what the OP might have meant. How's that ulcer working out?
Likes For Rider_1:
Old 04-21-20, 04:58 PM
Rider_1

Originally Posted by jorglueke
Thank you. It's nice to know that there are (were?) reasonable members here. I got jumped on by others for my post.
Old 04-21-20, 06:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
This is why I left this forum for years. Cranky, know-nothing know-it-all posters who look for any reason to jump on someone. Who said I was offended? Certainly not me. I was simply relating an experience and trying to offer some understanding of what the OP might have meant. How's that ulcer working out?
Welcome back... it's been so long.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-22-20, 02:21 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
SHELBYFV:
Why not follow your own advice - if you don't see this a legitimate topic - Why bother posting a reply?
Given the number of responses, you haven't discouraged anyone who does deem it legitimate from replying.
If it means nothing to you, move on. Seems like every single thread, there is always someone who has to criticize the OP.

Last edited by Biketiger; 04-22-20 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For Biketiger:
Old 04-22-20, 02:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Strong
Light
Cheap

Pick two.
Old 04-23-20, 10:00 AM
Rider_1

Thank you.
Old 04-23-20, 11:57 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I bought my wife a custom built frame and fork that cost $3,500, and built it up with "good" parts and accessories. It is a very nice bike, and was her retirement present. During the 9 years she has had the bike she has toured 25,000 self supported touring miles, riding a total of 2 years in 11 different countries. That does not count her "other" mileage, training and fun rides. There has never been a second of buyer's remorse. Convesely, it is one of the best investments I've ever made Yesterday, when I told my wife about this thread while we were riding together, she said, "tell them it is the gift that keeps giving".

Why:
  • Because I wanted to get her a nice bike, she deserved it.
  • She is short and it is hard to find small bike frames that fit her. The new bike fits perfectly.
  • I wanted S&S couplers on it.
  • Lifetime frame warranty, and the shop is nearby, located 40 minutes away.
  • Beautiful bike, well built, and built to handle the rigors of self supported touring. It also handle exceptioally well. She has pulled away from me when I was clocking 45 mph going downhill.
  • Excellent cusomer service.
When I had the bike put together enough for a trial fit and short test run, I was concerned that the standover height was too tall for her. I took it into the shop,and the owner did a remeasurement her, put her on the bike and said it should be OK. We were leaving on a 2-month tour in a couple of weeks, and I was a little concerned about her using the bike. The owner said, " ride it around for awhile, take it on the tour, and if she does not like the bike, we'll build a new one for her when you get back". When we got back, I could not pry that bike out of her hands if I wanted to.

Her bike was damaged during a flight home from a tour. I did not notice it until I was going over it getting ready for another tour that year. The cantilever brake's mounting post was bent and the brazing was cracked. I called the shop, and they said bring it in today. They looked at it and said it should be replaced. We were leaving in a few days. No problem, they called me the next day and said the new one was installed. They apologized for not having time to paint it, but coated the area with primer, and assured us that they would paint it when we got back.

Maiden Voyage-- The smile was worth the cost

Last edited by Doug64; 04-25-20 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 04-23-20, 12:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
If you left this forum for years because you didn't like the online bickering, why did you resurrect a 4-year-old thread that exemplifies the behavior that made you leave?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-23-20, 12:45 PM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you left this forum for years because you didn't like the online bickering, why did you resurrect a 4-year-old thread that exemplifies the behavior that made you leave?
Maybe we'll have to stay tuned for four years to see the response...
Likes For BNSF:
Old 04-23-20, 01:32 PM
Rider_1

To see if anything had changed, if the discourse had matured. If you are implying that I exemplify that behaviour, I fail to see how, unless this is an other case of blaming the victim. Did you even read my completely neutral and innocuous post that the guy jumped on? I'd say that your post is more of an example of the negative behaviour here. Why do you feel the need to try and question and police? Talk about cycling. Stop digging at people.

I might disappear again, or I might decide to stick around an stir it up if misfits and malcontents continue to be misfits and malcontents.
Old 04-23-20, 01:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
To see if anything had changed, if the discourse had matured. If you are implying that I exemplify that behaviour, I fail to see how, unless this is an other case of blaming the victim. Did you even read my completely neutral and innocuous post that the guy jumped on? I'd say that your post is more of an example of the negative behaviour here. Why do you feel the need to try and question and police? Talk about cycling. Stop digging at people.

I might disappear again, or I might decide to stick around an stir it up if misfits and malcontents continue to be misfits and malcontents.
You jumped right back into a spat you had 4 years ago in order to see if things have changed? I'd say that pretty much guarantees that things haven't changed.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-23-20, 03:16 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
You jumped right back into a spat you had 4 years ago in order to see if things have changed? I'd say that pretty much guarantees that things haven't changed.
This must qualify as one of the strangest dead-thread resurrections in the history of teh Biek Forms. And that is saying something.

Long-absent BF member nursing a four year-old grudge comes back to re-start things. Another member takes up The Cause, addressing one of the participants in a spat in which he (or she) played no part at all. The member on self-imposed Biek Forms furlough then enjoins yet another member to "talk about cycling", but reserves the right to "stir it up" should other members not conform to his (or her) high standards of forum decorum.
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-23-20, 04:43 PM
Rider_1

I guess I'll be sticking around then.
Old 04-24-20, 02:18 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
OP asked:

What is the difference in performance between starter, mid and high end bikes and does it justify the difference in cost.

What everyone with "nOiCe" bikes thought he said:

If a bike for 1000 bucks has everything you need, why do you buy more expensive bikes?

Everybody that says buy what you want and let others do the same, it just shows you don't really know what you gained yourself by paying more other than a brand name and an ego boost. If you knew, you wouldn't get so defensive when faced with a question of this sort.

Kret.
Old 04-24-20, 04:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
SHELBYFV:
Why not follow your own advice - if you don't see this a legitimate topic - Why bother posting a reply?
Given the number of responses, you haven't discouraged anyone who does deem it legitimate from replying.
If it means nothing to you, move on. Seems like every single thread, there is always someone who has to criticize the OP.
Maybe he’s changed his view in the 4 years since this thread was started.
Old 04-24-20, 04:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-24-20, 05:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Okay, I just spit coffee out of my nose. Thanks for this. [ding]
Old 04-24-20, 07:33 AM
Rider_1

Originally Posted by badger1
This must qualify as one of the strangest dead-thread resurrections in the history of teh Biek Forms. And that is saying something.

Long-absent BF member nursing a four year-old grudge comes back to re-start things. Another member takes up The Cause, addressing one of the participants in a spat in which he (or she) played no part at all. The member on self-imposed Biek Forms furlough then enjoins yet another member to "talk about cycling", but reserves the right to "stir it up" should other members not conform to his (or her) high standards of forum decorum.
Because of crap like this: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...your-ride.html

The very first comment! And there were more. Most just went with it as intended and recounted their own experiences, but there are always a few killjoys who have to suck the air out of the room.

I try to just have fun but people just jump on others for no good reason. I don't start it, but if someone who needs to start trouble for no reason brings it to me, I sling it back. I don't start, I respond. So yes, if people would stick to cycling instead of having to satisfy their need to dominate, things would be good. It's not about conforming to my high standards, it's that I will gladly agitate those who obviously have a compulsion to crap on others. I know how to push their buttons. Don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

Last edited by Rider_1; 04-24-20 at 07:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.