Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend a punch?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Recommend a punch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 09:59 AM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Recommend a punch?

I've been trying my hand at servicing freewheels -- a couple of unused ones to begin with. I bought some small drift style punches, and with the 3/32" inch one I successfully got a Falcon fw apart and back together, but I bent it trying to loosen the plate on a Shimano one. I may buy a Park SPA-2 spanner also, but I believe the plate on that Shimano would be on too tight for a spanner. Anyone have a punch that works really well for this? Could you tell me the brand and model, or at least length and shape of the punch? 3/32" looks to be about the diameter of most of the holes.
Old 10-30-16, 11:27 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Are you trying to move it in the right direction? It should be a left hand thread, so clockwise to loosen.
Old 10-30-16, 11:52 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I opened and serviced my first and last freewheel sometime close to 1968. BITD - Freewheels had shims you could remove to correct for play as they wore. But when all is said and done, taking a freewheel apart for service is a waste of time and effort. You can achieve the same results by soaking and flushing with solvent, then draining, oiling and draining again.

You end up with a good as new freewheel, or at least good as it's going to get, with near zero effort, and no risk of damaged pr lost internal part.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-30-16, 12:17 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can try craftsman tools at Sears . If their punch bend or break their warranty will cover it .
Old 10-30-16, 12:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Grind down a punch to suit.
Old 10-30-16, 01:37 PM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Thanks for the responses. I've been flushing and oiling freewheels, but I don't think they sound like they're holding on to the oil -- they still sound dry. The Falcon I took apart had been flushed and oiled, and oil would still drain out of it -- but when I got it apart, there was very little lube on the bearings. It's really not a hard job once the plate is off. Just mangled the puny punch I was using in the process. Probably grinding down a sturdier punch is the way I'll have to go.
Old 10-30-16, 01:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Ol Danl
Thanks for the responses. I've been flushing and oiling freewheels, but I don't think they sound like they're holding on to the oil -- they still sound dry. The Falcon I took apart had been flushed and oiled, and oil would still drain out of it -- but when I got it apart, there was very little lube on the bearings......
The beauty of freewheels is that there's never any load on moving parts. When you pedal, there's plenty of load, but the freewheel is locked and turning as a single block. When you coast, there's plenty of movement, but the only load is the weight of the freewheel itself.

As such, very little lubrication is needed, just a slight film to prevent galling and/or rust from water entry. If it seems that oil isn't being retained, it's possible that you're oiling before all the solvent has evaporated, or you're using too thin an oil.

Thicker oils, like auto gear oil or 40wt motor oil will soak in if you're patient. If you're not so patient, these thick oils can be thinned with some solvent, which will evaporate leaving the oil. Or you can thin a soluble grease, and that does a nice job of leaving a film of grease in place, which doesn't violate the "do not grease rule".

FWIW - I use Chain-L in freewheels, but that's mainly because I have a nearly infinite supply. Phil's Tenacious is similar, and both have a "glue" to help the film adhere.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-30-16, 02:54 PM
Ol Danl

Possibly my problem is my solvent of choice -- kerosene -- because I have a bunch of it I need to use up. It evaporates pretty readily when in the open (spilled on the floor), but possibly stayed in the fw and diluted the 30wt oil I drizzled in there. Anyway, the only freewheels I was attempting this on are pretty much cast offs. I know it's pretty much a waste of time. But reading this forum it seems there are folks who service them quite a bit, and 5 speed with 34 tooth don't seem to be made any more, so I have one of those I thought I'd try if these others went okay --I do have a use for that one. So far, the one I have gotten apart seems okay.
Old 10-30-16, 03:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I reccomend safety glasses when you start banging on a Punch.. and don't use a carpenters hammer..
Old 10-30-16, 03:33 PM
FBinNY 

Possibly my problem is my solvent of choice -- kerosene -- because I have a bunch of it I need to use up. It evaporates pretty readily when in the open (spilled on the floor), but possibly stayed in the fw and diluted the 30wt oil I drizzled in there. ...
No problem if you prefer to open them up. I was simply pointing out that there's no mechanical benefit to doing so.

Kerosene is a bit of a problem as a solvent because as you point out, it takes eons to dry completely. You can rinse with OMS, naphtha or gasoline (outdoors please) all of which will dry. Or you can put the freewheel in a warm place, like sitting on a blacktop driveway on a sunny day. You can also tie a string through it and spin dry it to get all but the last bit, which will then dry much faster.

Old 10-30-16, 08:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I've been flushing and oiling freewheels, but I don't think they sound like they're holding on to the oil -- they still sound dry.
After oiling your freewheel, work a little heavy grease into the gap between the inner and outer bodies on both the inside and outside faces of the freewheel. This will help hold the oil in place.
Old 10-31-16, 02:57 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
After flushing with solvent of your choice, blow some air into it, that will help drive it out and dry things faster.
I working in a machine shop long ago, I used to soak my freewheels in a pot of tricloro-something-or-other. That removed any and all traces of grease and oil, off the part and my skin. Then I'd drip heavy oils into it, giving it a day or two to flow through and out the bottom. But that is really way too much work for too little benifit.
Old 10-31-16, 04:30 PM
Ol Danl

Flushing out the solvent with air, and working grease in, both sound like ideas I will have to try. Thanks for more good suggestions.
Old 10-31-16, 04:39 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Possibly my problem is my solvent of choice -- kerosene -- because I have a bunch of it I need to use up. It evaporates pretty readily when in the open (spilled on the floor), but possibly stayed in the fw and diluted the 30wt oil I drizzled in there. Anyway, the only freewheels I was attempting this on are pretty much cast offs. I know it's pretty much a waste of time. But reading this forum it seems there are folks who service them quite a bit, and 5 speed with 34 tooth don't seem to be made any more, so I have one of those I thought I'd try if these others went okay --I do have a use for that one. So far, the one I have gotten apart seems okay.
When I relube a freewheel or freehub body, I'll give the solvent some time to drain out/evaporate, but I don't agonize over it. I'll just start "chasing" it out with oil while continuing to work the freewheel around, and eventually I see oil (more or less) coming out the other end. I keep turning for a while and then set it down for the excess oil to drain out. The next day, I'll wipe it off and consider it ready to use again.

It takes more mental energy to describe that than I expend while flushing the thing.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-31-16, 04:53 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
PARK makes a lightweight pin-spanner specifically for the freewheel lockrings. It's fantastic andd saves deforming the recess you're hitting with a punch.

Cheers
Old 11-08-16, 05:51 PM
mwtech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old freewheel grease adapter. It threads into the freewheel and has a gasket/washer. Once tight, you connect to a grease gun zerk and pump it full. I use a very light grease. Works great.
Old 11-09-16, 12:08 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 371 Posts
Recommend a punch?

The straight right hand Marquez hit Pacquiao with will loosen anything...
Old 11-10-16, 06:12 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Possibly my problem is my solvent of choice -- kerosene -- because I have a bunch of it I need to use up.
Well, you are right. I had some Kerosene too that I tried using for cleaning parts. It sucks for a de-greaser. Great for heaters though.

My favorite solvent is a carburetor cleaner. Avoid any of the ones that start with methanol in the ingredients. They are only slightly better than kerosene.

Back in the old days parts were made for disassembly and service. Not any more. Feel free to mess with the old stuff, but just toss the new ones away and install a replacement.

-SP
Old 11-11-16, 05:01 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Capri Sun makes a good punch..........