Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a hybrid and road bike together

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-04-18, 09:09 PM
Jewishcowboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just bought a Trek FX3 and also am considering a Domane ALR3. What do you think the benefits if any would be in having a hybrid and road bike

Thanks
Old 06-05-18, 06:31 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
The benefit would be a fun choice to make whenever you head out. I'm fond of having some options, and being able to chose between drop- and flat-bar when heading out is a nice thing.
Old 06-05-18, 06:47 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
This is the beginning of "N+1"... "N" being the number of bikes owned and "1" representing the bike whose acquisition is being considered.

On the one hand, multiple bikes with different and slightly different riding positions would help prevent repetitive stress issues. I have three bikes.
On the other hand, there is another bike that caught my eye...
Old 06-05-18, 06:49 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Virtually none. If you enjoy riding the road bike when do you see an occasion to ride the hybrid? I had a couple of hybrids. I converted them both to road bikes...well, one of them has 38 mm tires, full fenders, a rack, panniers, and canti brakes, so more like a cx/commuter bike than a pure road bike, and the other has fenders also.

I do have a 90's MTB that I ride for short distances, like around the neighbourhood and to the nearby grocery store.
Old 06-05-18, 06:53 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Put some larger tires on the hybrid and ride it off road.
Old 06-05-18, 07:41 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
That's pretty much it.

My wife bought a road bike to supplement her hybrid. Other than some of the rougher rail trails, the hybrid doesn't get ridden all that much.
Old 06-05-18, 10:44 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I think I’d like to try a road bike, my husband said I could trade in my hybrid but I don’t want to. They just put built a mountain bike park like a mile from my house. This is the perfect excuse to have both bikes. Just need a fatter set of tires for the Neko
Old 06-05-18, 11:57 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
If you have a lot of roads/trails with gravel/dirt/sand that wouldn't suit the traditional road bike tires, consider something like a Cyclocross or Gravel bike. Basically, a road bike with hybrid bike tires. All the benefits of drop bars, but not limited to riding on smooth/hard surfaces only. This is my favorite type of bike now that I live where the only nearby paved roads aren't very safe to ride (2 lanes, high speed, no paved shoulder)
Old 06-05-18, 12:14 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooke1687
They just put built a mountain bike park like a mile from my house. This is the perfect excuse to have both bikes. Just need a fatter set of tires for the Neko
Depends on exactly what the park is. My wife has a Specialized Ariel, which seems to be their version of the Neko, it isn't really well suited for anything but the easiest of singletrack trails around us. The suspension is not what you would want on a proper MTB trail, and there isn't enough room to get wider trail tires on there. Very much at home on dirt two track roads in the country, though.
Old 06-05-18, 12:40 PM
Jewishcowboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input
Old 06-05-18, 12:47 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
More bikes = betterer. Got a fat bike, bikepacker, ( rigid 29er plus Karate Monkey) full sus 29er, cross check ( fair weather commuter) surly 1x1, studded flat bar commuter, drop bar winter commuter, beach cruiser tandem, and a few others. And nishiki road bike with a big sweep flat bar, cuz it's red and goes fast. Just getting by, it's hard.
Old 06-05-18, 01:20 PM
Jewishcowboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
More bikes = betterer. Got a fat bike, bikepacker, ( rigid 29er plus Karate Monkey) full sus 29er, cross check ( fair weather commuter) surly 1x1, studded flat bar commuter, drop bar winter commuter, beach cruiser tandem, and a few others. And nishiki road bike with a big sweep flat bar, cuz it's red and goes fast. Just getting by, it's hard.
Are you buying me all these? LOL
Old 06-05-18, 01:27 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, adding a road bike to my hybrid.

That Trek looks really nice for the price point. One thing I'm noticing is Trek seems to do a bit better job utilizing full matching group sets than my preferred brand Specialized, especially in the lower price point regions.
Old 06-05-18, 01:50 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
In addition to my road bike, I have a Specialized Sirrus, which I use it for some shorter events like Bikes and Beers, where the cycling is slower paced. I can also put gravel tires on for trail riding. Always nice to have options, especially if your bike's in the shop.
Old 06-05-18, 03:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Dunno, I have 3 perfectly functional road bikes (and I ride them!) so I'm not the best person to ask but lately I've been jonesing for something I can just goof around on. Flat pedals, bigger tires, you know. Something that doesn't require special shoes and lycra to enjoy
Old 06-05-18, 03:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I ride a variety of bikes (most of which have drop bars, including a drop bar conversion of a hybrid).

I do a lot of utility cycling, so the gravel/hybrid is good for grabbing the trailer and heading to the store. Most of my riding is paved, but I also will occasionally hit some rough gravel which my road bike isn't good for.

The road bike, on the other hand, is good for cruising quickly and longer rides.

I am also generally car-free, so it is always good to have a spare.
Old 06-05-18, 03:49 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Dunno, I have 3 perfectly functional road bikes (and I ride them!) so I'm not the best person to ask but lately I've been jonesing for something I can just goof around on. Flat pedals, bigger tires, you know. Something that doesn't require special shoes and lycra to enjoy
now you're talking,,,, start looking for a rat mountain bike , its even better if you don't have to carry a lock..
Old 06-05-18, 07:00 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy
So I just bought a Trek FX3 and also am considering a Domane ALR3. What do you think the benefits if any would be in having a hybrid and road bike

Thanks
If something happens to one bike to make it unrideable, you can then ride the other one.

It allows you to be more adventurous with your own maintenance, because if you stuff something up and need a LBS to sort it out, you still have the other bike to ride.

You will have effectively have a spare set of wheels you could swap between bikes.

You could make your FX3 a dedicated grocery getter, with racks and baskets.

You could make your FX3 a dedicated commuter and add fenders etc.
Old 06-05-18, 07:17 PM
Jewishcowboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
If something happens to one bike to make it unrideable, you can then ride the other one.

It allows you to be more adventurous with your own maintenance, because if you stuff something up and need a LBS to sort it out, you still have the other bike to ride.

You will have effectively have a spare set of wheels you could swap between bikes.

You could make your FX3 a dedicated grocery getter, with racks and baskets.

You could make your FX3 a dedicated commuter and add fenders etc.
thank you for the advice
Old 06-07-18, 06:08 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy

Thanks
Choices are nice!
Old 06-07-18, 07:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
variety is the spice of life. but I once roadified a hybrid & kinda had the best of both worlds wrapped in a single bike. now I have three ...
Old 06-07-18, 08:25 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Hybrid: Utility riding, flat trails, casual riding; winter riding, if you have snow/ice.

Road bike: Road cycling, including fast recreational riding and long-distance cycling. The Domane accepts wider tires, so you could potentially use it on gravel/dirt roads.

Personally, I would feel comfortable locking up a hybrid while going to work, doing errands, etc., but I never leave my road bike - it either comes inside, or I use a different bike when I need to lock up. OTOH, road bikes are super fun!
Old 06-08-18, 12:03 AM
Jewishcowboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Hybrid: Utility riding, flat trails, casual riding; winter riding, if you have snow/ice.

Road bike: Road cycling, including fast recreational riding and long-distance cycling. The Domane accepts wider tires, so you could potentially use it on gravel/dirt roads.

Personally, I would feel comfortable locking up a hybrid while going to work, doing errands, etc., but I never leave my road bike - it either comes inside, or I use a different bike when I need to lock up. OTOH, road bikes are super fun!
I decided on an Emonda ALR 5, ordering it tomorrow 👍
Old 06-10-18, 05:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I swap between the two. Road bike mostly for fast solo fitness rides. Hybrid for errands and casual group rides. I prefer the more upright ride of the hybrid for riding in traffic -- better peripheral vision, easier to look around.
Old 06-12-18, 01:37 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thats easy hybrid for utility rides , some off road trails . maybe run the dog and or wife along side . bike with the kids or old folks .

riad bike for go fast go hard times... Naam supersayin!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.