Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1985 Duarte Tour de l'Avenir

Old 06-15-18, 05:31 PM
Justin77

Bikes: Limongis, Marinonis, Treks and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1985 Duarte Tour de l'Avenir

I just bought a Duarte Tour de L'avenir 1985 locally in Canada. Although I fancy myself as pretty knowledgeable with bikes, I've never heard of this brand. After a bit of reading, I know it is from Bogota, Colombia, and that only about 15000 bikes were ever made. How this one made its way into Canada is a mystery. It is equiped with a mix of campagnolo super record and shimano 600. I believe the frame is columbus SL or SLX. Campagnolo Dropouts and chrome fork. Although the paint is a bit cracked, it is in great shape for a bike that has been neglected. Does anyone know about their value? I cant really find any similar ones online or on ebay.

Old 06-15-18, 07:18 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 117 Posts
Oi!,.....isn't that a mid 80's Peugeot color band decal on the top tube??!.....
Old 07-23-18, 02:58 PM
playera

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colombia had 3-4 bike builder companies in the 80's. Another was Raul Mesa, of Medellin. I have two of his bikes, not ridden now for frame rust. Another builder, I think, was Ramon Hoyas, an ex-racer. Raul Mesa was Director of the Cafe de Colombia team which raced in Tour de France. He is still coaching Colombian pro teams. About that time he opened a bike shop and began building bikes and frames.

Your bike was very well built. They were built by hand, not assembly line. My bikes also had Campy dropouts and Columbus SL tubes. The value might be hard to determine. You might sell this one for $2-300, IDK. It is a good ride. I see the wheel stays are chrome. The entire frame is chromed if like my Raul Mesa bikes. Chombi1 says the top tube decal is Peugeot. I don't believe so. What does the lettering on the top tube say?

I searched for Duarte and didn't find much. Bicicletas = bicycles bici = bike $3,000 Colombian pesos = $1 US $

Bien provecha a su bici tan chevere!!
Old 07-23-18, 06:58 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
Not knowing much about this brand going on the the tubing quality nicely done lugs and level of components you likely did very well on this bike. As for value I would place it around around 350-400 CAD. As a note if the current stem and seat post height are what your riding it is way to small they are both a inch are more above safe levels and should be lowered asap.
Old 07-24-18, 01:14 PM
playera

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes to seat height. Looking again at the frame at the headset it is a small size bike. Too small for me at 5" 10"
Old 07-24-18, 04:25 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
This bike is actually a small women's frame set better suited a someone about 5' -5'2" give or take. So at 5' 10" I would suggest you sell this bike and help it move on to a a more suitable rider and start looking for something significantly bigger for yourself.
Old 07-27-18, 01:19 PM
Justin77

Bikes: Limongis, Marinonis, Treks and more

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'', so I didn't buy it to ride, but mostly because it was too good of a deal to pass on. Since I posted this thread, I removed all the campagnolo Super Record bits and I am on the look out for the proper shimano 600 stuff. I will also change the tubular wheels for regular clinchers with shimano 600 hubs. Once I'm done with it I will post more pictures!
Old 07-28-18, 06:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Quoted: 3406 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
... As a note if the current stem and seat post height are what your riding it is way to small they are both a inch are more above safe levels and should be lowered asap.
The OP is an Ottawa area bike flipper. Size is irrelevant.