Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Narrow 29er tires for Gravel/Road

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-05-18, 12:33 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2 - GRX 1x11 (2020), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - 1x10 (2018), Specialized Hellga - NX 1x12 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

My Giant Toughroad GX has clearance for 700 x 50mm tires so I got some Clement MSOs in 700 x 50. Iím running them on WTB i23 rims and since Iím a heavy rider (375lbs) I run them between 40-50psi. With that rim and tire pressure combo the tires stretch out to a wide 55mm at the side knobs leaving me ~2-3mm of remaining chainstay clearance.

Iím looking for 29er tires that I can run tubeless with durable sidewalls that wonít leak air at higher pressures, are good for 70/30 pavement/off road, and specifically tires that measure somewhat narrow around 50mm (provided the conditions I described in the last paragraph).

Tires Iíve tried include Schwalbe Thunder Burts (non snakeskin) and WTB Nine lines. The nine lines had noticeable rolling resistance on pavement and the Thunder Burts rolled nicely but was too wide (~54mm). They both had thin sidewalls.

The Soma Cazadero 50mm i saw measured slightly below 50mm, however I donít think Iíd be willing to pay ~$150 for a pair. I wanted to see if anyone had other recommendations that might work for my setup. Thanks!