Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quarante Groupset Upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 02:34 PM
jfeltz13

Bikes: 2022 Bearclaw Thunderhawk, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 1994 Specialized Junkdumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I ride a 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite with SRAM Apex. Had a catastrophic failure of my rear derailleur and started down the rabbit hole to a whole new groupset. The quarantine has led to some questionable decisions...

Anyway, my question... can I upgrade the stock SRAM Apex S150 crankset to, say, the SRAM Force 22 BB30? Will the BB30 bottom bracket even fit my frame?

Please help me before I drive myself nuts.

Thanks in advance for being cool.
Old 04-14-20, 04:28 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Sram doesn't make a BB30 bottom bracket for a threaded bb shell (DUB bb isn't BB30 and it wont work unless with a DUB crank). Sram BB30 cranks are to be fitted to press fit bb30 frames. So the Force 22 BB30 crank would not be compatible with your threaded frame.

The other option is just buy the correct crank type that was originally designed to fit your frame which is the SRAM GXP fitment. Force 22 GXP cranks are available.

Last edited by trailflow1; 04-14-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-14-20, 05:11 PM
jfeltz13

Bikes: 2022 Bearclaw Thunderhawk, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 1994 Specialized Junkdumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.