Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbie requesting help w/ Ross bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 08:44 PM
whyitselectric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and I suppose new to cycling in general, although I biked like a mad lad when I was younger, I'm just now getting into cycling as something I look forward to and plan out on the weekend- in short I love it. I have a Ross cycle, I'm afraid I don't know what model it is, it is fairly old though, and the other day while biking in the rain, I braked sharply on one of those white striped pedestrian crosswalks- it was super slick and I went down on my right side, unfortunately the brunt of the damage went to the right side handlebar, the crank and right pedal, and the rear wheel which now doesn't spin without brake caliper resistance. I don't want to just take the bike to a shop and say "fix this please," I'd rather try to learn about my bike, order the part off the web, and try to fix it myself. I have a bunch of tools (maybe not what I need, but I'm definitely willing to get new ones), and the desire to learn about how to care for my bike (if not this specific one) so it can last my lifetime.
Attached are some photos I took of the crank, I googled it, I think it's a 3-piece crank set or something? But really I sense I'm out of my depth here, any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys
Ok turns out I can't add photos to this post because it's my first post or something, but still, any help or direction would be appreciated
Old 07-19-20, 07:07 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I've never done it, but I hear it's possible to post photos on a third-party site and post the link here.

It sounds like you need to true the wheel. Sometimes that can be done with a spoke wrench. There are three common sizes available, so if you buy a tool get a universal wrench with all sizes. They are not expensive.

If you need to pull a crank, it's best to remove the pedal and a pedal wrench is almost always needed for that. They're not expensive either. Some pedals can be removed with a small, narrow adjustable wrench and some will take an Allen wrench in a recessed socket in the crank side. Left side pedal is reverse threaded.

To pull a bent crank, you'll need to remove the crank bolt, either a 14 mm socket or 8 mm Allen. The bolt may be seized and may required excessive torque or impact. Be careful, or get an experience mechanic to help out. Then you'll need a special crank puller tool, and this is where some experience may be needed. The threads may need to be repaired and the tool must be seated correctly or you'll strip it out.

If you need to replace the crank set, you may need help getting one with the same chain line. Look in the Sheldon Brown website for an explanation. You may get a little lost in that site. It's full of information.

When the crank set is removed, you may find the bottom bracket spindle does not rotate freely or is loose. That's another topic and another set of tools, depending on the age and quality of the bike.

There are instructional videos for all these. The Park Tools website may be a good source. Park Tools are also decent quality tools, though cheaper alternatives are available for possible one-time use.

Braking on a paint line is something kids do when they're "cycling like mad." You've just learned a lesson and hopefully walked away from it. Be safe out there!
Old 07-19-20, 07:50 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
If you need to pull a crank, it's best to remove the pedal and a pedal wrench is almost always needed for that. They're not expensive either. Some pedals can be removed with a small, narrow adjustable wrench and some will take an Allen wrench in a recessed socket in the crank side. Left side pedal is reverse threaded.
If you use a hex driver from the inside of the crank, the rotation to remove the pedal will be opposite from that using a wrench on the outside. So you would turn the right crank clockwise and the left crank counterclockwise to loosen them, looking towards the threaded end of the pedal.