Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 03:23 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I noticed in the article linked by the OP on tire size, it was said that they found insignificant aerodynamic differences between 25mm and 32mm tires,

but also cited a study:
"The German magazine TOUR built a sophisticated setup with a motorized dummy rider and found that a 28 mm-wide tire had the same wind resistance as a 25 mm tire when the wind was coming from straight ahead. With a crosswind, the wider tire was very slightly less aerodynamic. Even then, the wider tires required only 5 watt more..."

Wind speed is not mentioned, but if this was at moderate speed, and the test was scaled up to larger tires at fast road speeds, the aero penalty would hardly be insignificant.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-23-20, 03:31 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
His tests coincide with placing his tires as having better marks, as published in the magazine he publishes..
His 700x35 also rated quite highly for low rolling resistance on bicyclerollingresistance.com though (unsurprisingly) poorly on the puncture tests.

I rode a set of RTPs on my 26er MTB until I had worn the rear tire to the point of having frequent flats. The other RTP is still on a front wheel and on my bike at present. That front tire has never flatted. They are really delightful on roads and crushed stone or gravel (until things get wet and soft).

I’m trying out a Contact Speed 26x2.0 for the rear now which is probably a couple of watts more than the RTP but hopefully a bit better protected against puncture. There aren’t many options for a wide roadish 26” tire that actually rate with a low rolling resistance.

Otto
Old 07-23-20, 03:31 PM
tz250

Bikes: Club Special, Bottecchia ADR, Alan, Ciocc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
To be fair, testing tires under real-world conditions is an exceedingly complex undertaking in controlling for all the possible variables, including subjective ones, and he does point this out in his articles. I believe Heine has done as good a job at this as anyone has attempted.

N.B. I also seem to recall that Heine has an advanced degree (post-graduate, not sure if MS or PhD) in geology, so he likely has a decent grasp of the scientific method.
that does not qualify one as a physicist.
Old 07-23-20, 03:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
... but only you (your preferences) can determine whether that is "better,"...
Of course. But no one is saying it's supposed to take your preferences into account (since it's obvious that it can't).

This gets to your first point: that the tests can only inform your choice, not determine what is "best" in any universal sense.
You seem to think that his goal is to determine the "best in a universal sense".

I'm saying that it's obvious that it can't (so he can't be doing that).
Old 07-23-20, 03:38 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Best in an universal sense is interesting also in the context of cornering. Wider tires on smaller rims don't necessarily corner as well in the loose as their thinner larger rimmed counterparts. It's a bit counter intuitive because of course the wider tire has more surface are and thus more grip. But in fact the wider tire has also more float meaning that it can float off the loose stuff while the thinner tire digs in the gravel and holds its course. This in turn means that to corner as well the wider tire may need studs whereas the thinner tire can be more slick.

It all depends on riding conditions, but I've found this to be the case on fine gravel roads when comparing 650x47 and 700x40 slickish tires.
Old 07-23-20, 03:38 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by fietsbob
His tests coincide with placing his tires as having better marks, as published in the magazine he publishes..
???

He's designing those tires based on the results of his tests.

People are free to do their own tests.
Old 07-23-20, 03:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Of course. But no one is saying it's supposed to take your preferences into account (since it's obvious that it can't).

You seem to think that his goal is to determine the "best in a universal sense".

I'm saying that it's obvious that it can't (so he can't be doing that).
You really don’t have much going on in the way of reading comprehension, so I’m checking out of this conversation.
Old 07-23-20, 03:41 PM
njkayaker

You really don’t have much going on in the way of reading comprehension, so I’m checking out of this conversation.
What you wrote doesn't make sense.

The scientific method doesn't generally tell us what is "best."
No one is really claiming that it does.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-23-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 03:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not just wider but high thread-count thin , light tread 'supple ' casings.. @ $80 or so each..
Old 07-23-20, 03:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
The scientific method doesn't generally tell us what is "best."
No one is really claiming that it does.
Except you, in post #26 .
Old 07-23-20, 04:06 PM
njkayaker

Except you, in post #26 .
Not really.

I'm not sure what else using the scientific method in testing/comparing bicycle tires could be doing.
The idea here was to nudge you to describe what you thought the "scientific method" was supposed to do (rather than saying what it didn't do that no one was claiming anyway).

The point is to understand the properties so that it can inform a choice.
This is what I said the purpose if the investigation was.

The scientific method is for testing hypotheses, which might include questions about the effect of tire size (or width) on rolling resistance, smoothness/comfort, speed, etc. But since those are sometimes competing goals, it cannot tell us what is "best." In other words, "best" is a subjective judgment which reflects preferences or priorities.
???

The point is to understand the properties so that it can inform a choice.

No one is saying the purpose is to determine a singular "best" tire for all uses.
1) Agreed.
2) Scientific testing might prove that a wider tire gives a smoother ride, but only you (your preferences) can determine whether that is "better," since a wider tire brings other tradeoffs. This gets to your first point: that the tests can only inform your choice, not determine what is "best" in any universal sense.
3) Agreed.
You got my point and even agreed with it.

This gets to your first point: that the tests can only inform your choice, not determine what is "best" in any universal sense.
Then, you veered back into the weeds by arguing against a point no one really claimed. You are weirdly stuck on the "best" stuff.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-23-20 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 04:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Jan Heine's science is pretty good. I know a person that sells tires should be suspect when he tests tires, but he does a good job. I'm always looking for someone that has personal interest in "x" and makes "scientific" claims about "x" - one of my hobbies - and Jan Heine has been a pretty solid player in that area. I think he makes a good faith effort to be a straight shooter.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-23-20, 04:35 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tyrion
Jan Heine's science is pretty good. I know a person that sells tires should be suspect when he tests tires, but he does a good job. I'm always looking for someone that has personal interest in "x" and makes "scientific" claims about "x" - one of my hobbies - and Jan Heine has been a pretty solid player in that area. I think he makes a good faith effort to be a straight shooter.
It's OK to be somewhat skeptical but he's doing the tests to figure out how to make better tires. If he's doing that right (and honestly), his tires should rank fairly high.

He's showing the data he generates as part of this process. The sort of data which companies often keep a secret.

Ideally, some other independent concern would test tires (in a competent way) to produce "unbiased" results.

Nobody is stopping anybody from doing that.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-23-20, 04:38 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Drum testing (like bicyclerollingresistance.com does) doesn't always reflect real world performance.

https://blog.silca.cc/asymmetric-eff...e-optimization
Use what you just posted to try to explain why I should run a GP5000 clincher latex instead of a CS TL in a time trial.

You can’t do it.

A test like the drum provides a consistent set of parameters so that you can compare data taken in those consistent conditions. It isnt going to tell you what pressure to run (which showing the truer pressure curve was the point of that article). It will give a lot larger data set than endless low controlled outdoor testing.

If someone cares so much anyway, you’ll pick the top contenders in a standardized data set then do your own real world conditions test.

Real world you can buy a few sets among teammates and use Chung VE testing by holding aero constant instead of CRR and see the delta in CRR for your personal setup. Not actual CRR, but delta.

I do this. I did a test showing a 19mm track tub to have lower CRR than another normal TT tire in 23mm (if you want to risk not finishing the race by using a track tire).

Point being, there are people who talk crap and post articles, then there are folks who actually use the data sets to apply them in the real world to themselves. Then go race.

I’m a hobbyist TT rider. Not very strong. No money for tunnel testing or a $10k bike. I’m all-in on all TT kit I own under $1500. Despite paltry power and a low budget, I’m pretty freaking quick.

How am I that quick on low power and budget? Hopes and dreams and fairy dust? No, some of us do know WTF we’re talking about.
Old 07-23-20, 04:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
It's OK to be somewhat skeptical but he's doing the tests to figure out how to make better tires. If he's doing that right (and honestly), his tires should rank fairly high.
By that logic, tires by every manufacturer should rank high in their own tests, since they're all trying to figure out how to make better tires.
Old 07-23-20, 04:49 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
By that logic, tires by every manufacturer should rank high in their own tests, since they're all trying to figure out how to make better tires.
No, they might not care that much. Or they are making different trade-offs. Or they are using a (arguably) insufficient test (like the smooth roller). Or they did the test a long while ago and haven't kept improving.

If they don't show their data, we don't know.

That the company's tires rank higher doesn't necessarily mean they are cheating either (it's possible).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-23-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 05:06 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Use what you just posted to try to explain why I should run a GP5000 clincher latex instead of a CS TL in a time trial.

You can’t do it.
I have no interest in doing it.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-23-20, 06:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
No, they might not care that much.
You don't think Continental, Michelin, Schwalbe, or Vittoria care that much about making better tires? I think they probably care a great deal about it.
Old 07-23-20, 07:06 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You don't think Continental, Michelin, Schwalbe, or Vittoria care that much about making better tires? I think they probably care a great deal about it.
Read the rest of what I wrote.

Are all of these likely to rank exactly the same?

It's possible that people are cherry-picking the tires being compared but it might not be just Heine doing that.

One issue is that these companies might be optimizing narrower tires. It seems that wider tires tended be more focused on durability than performance.

I said it was reasonable to be skeptical.

At this point, you really need to run your own unbiased test. I'll wait.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-23-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 07:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

You can’t do it.

A test like the drum provides a consistent set of parameters so that you can compare data taken in those consistent conditions. It isnt going to tell you what pressure to run (which showing the truer pressure curve was the point of that article). It will give a lot larger data set than endless low controlled outdoor testing.

If someone cares so much anyway, you’ll pick the top contenders in a standardized data set then do your own real world conditions test.

Real world you can buy a few sets among teammates and use Chung VE testing by holding aero constant instead of CRR and see the delta in CRR for your personal setup. Not actual CRR, but delta.

I do this. I did a test showing a 19mm track tub to have lower CRR than another normal TT tire in 23mm (if you want to risk not finishing the race by using a track tire).

Point being, there are people who talk crap and post articles, then there are folks who actually use the data sets to apply them in the real world to themselves. Then go race.

I’m a hobbyist TT rider. Not very strong. No money for tunnel testing or a $10k bike. I’m all-in on all TT kit I own under $1500. Despite paltry power and a low budget, I’m pretty freaking quick.

How am I that quick on low power and budget? Hopes and dreams and fairy dust? No, some of us do know WTF we’re talking about.
The problem with the drum test is that the drum does NOT mimic real road surface conditions. In over 60 years of bicycling I've never come across a road shaped like a steel drum. ;<)

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-23-20, 08:11 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Real world testing yields messy, less-than consistent and somewhat subjective data, but it is describing the EXACT thing we are most interested in.

Roller Drum tests yield precise, quantifiable, reproducible, and consistent data.... but.... its relationship to what we really care about is unclear..

The former is an example of measuring what you value.

The latter is an example of valuing what you can measure.

Unfortunately people are too often seduced by the latter. They are essentially mistaking precision for accuracy.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-23-20, 08:39 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
A few years ago Jan Heine dispelled the generally held belief that narrower tires are always faster than wider tires of the same size. There are some particular and specific parameters, but it really shook up the industry. (https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-m...es-are-slower/)

Well, last week he challenged the notion that 700 wheels roll appreciably faster than 650/26" wheels (and smaller). Again, there are specific parameters (the wheels must have pneumatic tires on them).

https://www.renehersecycles.com/why-...t-roll-faster/

As before, how a tire/wheel combination FEELS can be different from how it PERFORMS.
But is it FEELS great, you tend to ride more. Disclaimer: I am a Rene Herse tire fan, and I do not compete.

When I bought my current bike, it came with Vittoria Randenneur 28mm tires. A dreadful, heavy, sluggish, but very durable tire many like for touring or commuting. Switching to Continental GP4000SII 28mm tires (wonderful) and then to the Rene Herse (Compass) 28mm tires (even more wonderful with tan sidewalls) and then to Rene Herse 32s, I was hooked on the feel like I remembered feeling with Clement Seta tubulars and Clement hand made cotton clinchers. They were responsive and rolled very well, and good in damp, especially the GP4000SII. (Damp means damp as is a wet, but not raining road.)

I have yet to have a flat with any of those tires.

So to paraphrase what they said in the '60s, if it feels good, I will use it.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 07-23-20, 09:14 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I would think every tire mfg can make an equally flexible paper thin tire that will ace rolling resistance tests no matter where they are performed.

I didn’t care enough to read the article close enough to find out if he was running his Extralights for the tests. If he was then I would believe they roll fast. I’m not sure they are truly any faster in repairing a flat.

People talk real world, well real world is buying a tire that rolls fast enough with the least headaches. After the fighting over testing criteria is done, they go buy Gatorskins.

John
Old 07-23-20, 09:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
In the heyday of bicycles (when the really bright people were designing bikes, not computers, software, aerospace ... someone did a study of wheel diameter vs road surface. (This was back when the worst roads were, by our standards, really bad and good pavement was a new concept.) He found that the rougher the surface, the bigger the optimum wheel diameter. Interestingly, he found that on smooth pavement, 29" 27" was optimum. (27" being nearly exactly the outside diameter of a 700c road tire.)

Racers have settled on that diameter. Now, there have been race bikes built around much smaller wheels. In criteriums those bikes are fully competitive because what they give away in rolling resistance they gain in radically lower inertia; paying real dividends every corner.

The place where we moderns missed the boat is on poor surfaces. Mountain bikes. 45 years ago, the 26" wheel was adopted. Not because it had any advantages but because kid's bikes were available and cheap. Yes smaller wheels do better in tight places and fit smaller people better, but the disadvantages on rough surfaces were so limiting that you had to be seriously hard core (and slightly crazy) or willing to spend money, research, technology, etc, etc, to get enough suspension to make those bikes rideable. Much later, the 29s came along. Just what that guy told us 120 years ago!

Ben
Significant typo. (He found that the rougher the surface, the bigger the optimum wheel diameter. Interestingly, he found that on smooth pavement, 29" 27" was optimum.) i"ll go back and correct the original.
Old 07-23-20, 09:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Yes, there is not universal agreement - that's why there have been sooo many books and intellectual debates about it. I can recall reading a ton of that stuff in grad school, since I had some profs who were into it.

In the case of Heine's experiments, I've always found that - while he may be doing as well as possible for "real world" tests - his methods don't allow him to adequately control for the variables other than those in which he is interested. (You know, the whole ceteris paribus thing.) Additionally (and this is not entirely disqualifying, but still), it is clear that he is a less-than-dispassionate analyst.
I'm not saying everything needs to be a Karl Popper crucial test of two competing hypotheses, but there are some common factors that most sane people agree with, like the need for a complete set of competently-designed, and hopefully exhaustive, experimental controls. If you don't think he did the proper controls, that is fair enough, but it doesn't mean he has no idea how to do an experiment. All experiments can be improved, usually by inclusion of more and better controls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.