Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikes Everywhere

Old 08-01-20, 03:35 AM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Hard to tell. There are more bikes out I'd guess. Some people are able to get in a run or cycle ride before they start work as they don't need to spend time commuting to work.

It's nice weather here at the moment so more people are out just generally. Last time it rained the numbers dropped a significant amount so I can imagine as winter comes again people will retreat back inside.
Old 08-01-20, 05:33 AM
CGLTD

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Tons of people out riding on the paths and trails around Chicago. I've lived here for many years and I have never seen so many.
Are they wearing flak jackets?
Old 08-01-20, 05:37 AM
CGLTD

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's been a normal level of cyclists here in Virginia Beach. When covid first started I have never seen so many bikers/walkers in my neighborhood. That lasted for a month and now people are back to normal and never walking their dogs.
Old 08-01-20, 07:33 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I haven't really seen an increase here. In the first few weeks of working from home there was a small number of folks who had obviously brushed the dust off an old bike in the garage and taken it out for a spin. But it doesn't seem like most of those folks ever took a second ride. We quickly went back to the normal number of regular riders.
I feel similar here. A brief surge in the beginning then backed off, particularly road riding. Trails may be a little higher still. One in particular has been very high volume for years so hard to tell, although early in COVID restrictions people crowded it so bad it got shutdown for a while, now more typical. The local organization driving infrastructure improvements also recently completed a long awaited extension to that trail which also likely drove a novelty bump.
Old 08-01-20, 07:35 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
I'm not sure in my area. I'm not the type to pay a lot of attention to other people so I can't recall if there are more out than last year. I feel like I have seen a few more walkers, but I also feel like that has dropped off a bit in the last month or two. At first it was interesting to see that people out walking were often talking on the phone if they were alone, as if they really just couldn't stand to be alone with themself. That has dropped off too (or maybe I'm just seeing fewer people alone as opposed to people walking their dogs or kids).

I admit I'm kind of waiting for the accessories for all of these hobbies people took up during COVID to hit Craigslist once this is all over. Just not sure yet when it will be. (Honestly, even with the best intentions, when people get back to the rat race, they are, once again, not going to have time for this stuff. Even I've had more time to devote to my existing hobbies right now when I don't have to make the 30-60 minute commute to/from the office twice a day and spend a ton of time at the gym in the evening, and also haven't been able to participate in a couple "outside" activities, but once things get back to normal, that extra time will be going away too. I would love to have more hours in the day, but unfortunately, no dead rich uncles have come out of my woodwork yet so I still have to spend most of my waking hours at work.)

I'm sure it's a seller's market for secondhand bikes right now, and when I keep hearing about the biking craze and that people are snapping up bikes and bike stuff like crazy, I admit I'm a little wary of any cheap bike on Craigslist that lasts more than a day or two... (plus, there seem to be a fair number of flippers in my area and if even they don't want it, it makes me wonder.) But, I also admit I don't know much about how the bike market works around here, so maybe there isn't as much of a market for used bikes around here as I think.
Old 08-01-20, 01:57 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by CGLTD
Are they wearing flak jackets?
No need; we all wear our gunshot wounds like badges of honor.
Old 08-03-20, 06:40 PM
oldlady62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Over the last month or so, I'm suddenly seeing bikes everywhere.
When I started riding in June, there weren't many people out on bikes. Lots of walkers, though. Then something happened during July. Me and my neighbor have been riding around the neighborhood a lot, and I joined the Trek challenge, so I upped my frequency. Suddenly, there are a lot of people and kids out riding 30 minutes before dusk when I like to go. I never leave my neighborhood, so I don't know about the rest of the city.
Likes For oldlady62:
Old 08-03-20, 06:41 PM
oldlady62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Bikes in yer grocery aisles.

See, now this would be the perfect application for those price guns you carry with you in the store like they have in Europe. You shoot the price when you put the item in your tote and then just check out with the price gun thingy.

I guess they are call hand scanners.

Last edited by oldlady62; 08-03-20 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 08:43 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by oldlady62
When I started riding in June, there weren't many people out on bikes. Lots of walkers, though. Then something happened during July. Me and my neighbor have been riding around the neighborhood a lot, and I joined the Trek challenge, so I upped my frequency. Suddenly, there are a lot of people and kids out riding 30 minutes before dusk when I like to go. I never leave my neighborhood, so I don't know about the rest of the city.
I'm glad to have you enjoying your bike. If you up your frequency, you will inevitably up your distance and expand your riding area. My recommendation for safe cycling is to be visible, be predictable, and be ultra alert. Being visible means avoid dark clothing that causes a cyclist to vanish in shaded areas.
Old 08-04-20, 09:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Here in Lincoln, on the week ends, there has been a big increase in bike traffic on the city trails. There have been reports that bike shops are low on bikes for sale. They have to be out there somewhere.