Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

One piece chain connector rant..

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-01-20, 11:52 AM
wayne2000

Bikes: Cruiser, single speed Specialized Hard Rock 1990s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I bought a new chain for my cruiser. The old chain had a connector that is U shaped and snapped right in. The new chain has a one piece solid connector with two holes punched out. I tried everything to snap that @#$$&#$&)()$## on. Nothing. The holes are about 1/16” too far apart. I finally took the U shaped connector off the old chain and used hat.

How the heck do you use the chain connector that is one piece with 2 holes punched in it?
Old 08-01-20, 12:44 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
You don't, you throw it away and use the vastly better two piece symmetrical design used by SRAM/KMC/Wipperman et al.
My recumbent bought in 2001 had a chain with one of those, back then the symmetrical design was not easy to find but
available.
I assume you refer to the design with a side plate with two pins in it and a separate side plate with two holes that pop
onto the pins to join the chain? Yeah terrible design.

On further thought, you may refer to the design with a master link with a U shaped link that slides over the ends of the
pins, which have tiny slots cut in the ends outside of the outer plate. Sort of like snap ring washers. Not what I refer to as the symmetrical design.
Those date to the 50s in my experience but could be older.

Some pix of various designs: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bicycle+ch...ages&ia=images

Last edited by sch; 08-01-20 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 06:25 AM
wayne2000

Bikes: Cruiser, single speed Specialized Hard Rock 1990s

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Does anyone use the chain link tool to disconnect and reconnect the chain? That is what diy ended up doing. Any issues with this?
Old 08-05-20, 06:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
The two piece master link described is likely for a 1/8" chain, not a 3/32" der chain. The side plate with two holes does have the hole spacing closer then the pins are. One places the plate with pins intop both ends of the chain and then flexes the chain laterally so to bring the ends of the pins closer together and allow the holed side plate to be slid over the ends. Then when the chain is in use the tension will keep the pin ends trapped in the side plate, unless the chain is again bent laterally.

My preference is to use the three piece master link instead for 1/8" chains. Andy
Old 08-05-20, 06:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by wayne2000
Does anyone use the chain link tool to disconnect and reconnect the chain? That is what diy ended up doing. Any issues with this?
If you have a 1/8" chain with pinned links, such as found on most single-speed and internally geared drivetrains, no problem.

If you have a modern, riveted 3/32" chain, such as used on derailleur-equipped bikes with 8 or more sprockets on the rear cluster, then no. You need to use an appropriately sized master link of some kind to close the chain.
Old 08-05-20, 06:49 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The two piece master link described is likely for a 1/8" chain, not a 3/32" der chain. The side plate with two holes does have the hole spacing closer then the pins are. One places the plate with pins intop both ends of the chain and then flexes the chain laterally so to bring the ends of the pins closer together and allow the holed side plate to be slid over the ends. Then when the chain is in use the tension will keep the pin ends trapped in the side plate, unless the chain is again bent laterally.

My preference is to use the three piece master link instead for 1/8" chains. Andy
^^^This.
Old 08-05-20, 06:58 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts

The first time I encountered one of these links, I was confounded as you. the OP, were. Then I read the instructions (frequently the last resort) and all was good again.
Old 08-05-20, 09:32 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,532 Posts
and too things are of great help a quick link tool (one the the better tool investments I have made)

and a piece of wire bent at both ends to hold the chain in place while you fiddle with the link

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-05-20, 10:02 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by wayne2000
I bought a new chain for my cruiser. The old chain had a connector that is U shaped and snapped right in. The new chain has a one piece solid connector with two holes punched out. I tried everything to snap that @#$$&#$&()$## on. Nothing. The holes are about 1/16” too far apart. I finally took the U shaped connector off the old chain and used hat.

How the heck do you use the chain connector that is one piece with 2 holes punched in it?
You connect the master link through the chain like normal making sure it is pushed through the chain completely. Hold the outer plate against the master link, usually aligning one hole with a pin on the master link, then using both hands and a thumb holding the plate in place, gently bend the chain in toward the tire at the master link, this brings the two pins closer together enough to slide the plate onto the pins, when it snaps into place release the chain, The plate is held in place via the master link pin groves and chain tension. Easy peasy.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 08-05-20, 12:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 3,381 Times in 2,046 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
You connect the master link through the chain like normal making sure it is pushed through the chain completely. Hold the outer plate against the master link, usually aligning one hole with a pin on the master link, then using both hands and a thumb holding the plate in place, gently bend the chain in toward the tire at the master link, this brings the two pins closer together enough to slide the plate onto the pins, when it snaps into place release the chain, The plate is held in place via the master link pin groves and chain tension. Easy peasy.
This

For these style links.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-old-sto...-/303111651154
Old 08-06-20, 02:03 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
and too things are of great help a quick link tool (one the the better tool investments I have made)

and a piece of wire bent at both ends to hold the chain in place while you fiddle with the link
Perfectly agree and as old spoke makes the perfect tool for the "wire"

Old 08-06-20, 03:14 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Helps too if the chain isn't on the sprockets, so you can flex it properly.
Old 08-06-20, 03:48 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just out of interest, Andy, why do you prefer the three piece master link design? Is it the ease of removing the chain again after fitting?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-20, 07:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Gaunt
Just out of interest, Andy, why do you prefer the three piece master link design? Is it the ease of removing the chain again after fitting?

Thanks!

No but that's exactly why I like the 3 piece master links, they are harder to come undone. For those who believe that der chains see the hardest use what with shifting stresses and all spend a season servicing kids bikes and you'll likely change your opinions. Kids don't think about their chains (even though the chain is often the critical link (pun) in their brake system), run then loose/tight/rusted. Have skidding contests, jump their little BMX bikes over any curb cut or plywood ramp they can find. Leave their bikes outside all week. Bend their chainrings on other bikes or their legs. Get those training wheels removed by clueless Dads and big sister's boy friends.

I've seen more then a few 2 piece links fail from bent rings/teeth producing the needed lateral prying. No, I'll take a 3 piece any day over the 2 piece. And on my own bike that use 1/8" chain (all with Sturmey Archer IGHs) I'll connect the chains with a pin, just like we used to do with der chains when I was young. Andy
Old 08-06-20, 07:42 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
No but that's exactly why I like the 3 piece master links, they are harder to come undone. For those who believe that der chains see the hardest use what with shifting stresses and all spend a season servicing kids bikes and you'll likely change your opinions. Kids don't think about their chains (even though the chain is often the critical link (pun) in their brake system), run then loose/tight/rusted. Have skidding contests, jump their little BMX bikes over any curb cut or plywood ramp they can find. Leave their bikes outside all week. Bend their chainrings on other bikes or their legs. Get those training wheels removed by clueless Dads and big sister's boy friends.

I've seen more then a few 2 piece links fail from bent rings/teeth producing the needed lateral prying. No, I'll take a 3 piece any day over the 2 piece. And on my own bike that use 1/8" chain (all with Sturmey Archer IGHs) I'll connect the chains with a pin, just like we used to do with der chains when I was young. Andy
Nice to read a account written that has immense experience, and an intention to explain and help. Thanks, Andy.

As far as kids doing accelerated high stress testing of their poor bikes, I resemble that remark. Lost a bit due to the mists of time, but...

We also torture tested skateboards. Our friend's house was on the shallow slope of small valley. Their driveway pointed straight down that slope and intersected the street which ran up and down that valley. Across the street the valley slope continued downward to a creek. We build a skate board ramp sloping up. I think some building site acquisition of materials was made. So you zoomed down the hill, crossed the street, hit the ramp at high velocity, and went up. We build the ramp big enough and with enough slope so that it wasn't a jump (it would have been about a 15 foot drop into the creek). We had fun with skateboards, then tried bikes. Insanely fun. A parent would be arrested for child abuse today if they let their kids do that. Sigh. Good times....
Old 08-06-20, 07:48 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Really helpful insight - thank you!
Old 08-06-20, 08:19 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts

I have learned as much in the last ten years fixing kids bikes at our local non-profit shop than I did in a lifetime of fixing my own family’s and friend’s bikes. You learn what components are most vulnerable to abuse, you learn that one measurement is better than ten guesses, and you learn how to spot quality in any given component. It is a shame that bike mechanics don’t get more respect as a profession.

I am the guy in our neighborhood who keeps all of the kid’s bikes rolling, but I have much respect for those who do this for a living.
Likes For aggiegrads: