Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help ID this frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help ID this frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 01:22 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Maybe those "cable guides" are intended to mount a rack, maybe a rack built for this bike? Remember that there is a cable guide on the BB for the rear, and you don't really need a guide for the front.

I agree with the speculation that this is the product of a US small builder or hobby builder. Prugnat 62-D lugs were available from Proteus.

The handfull of frames I have made over the years will be fodder for future "ID this frame" threads.

Last edited by Sluggo; 08-06-20 at 01:28 PM.
Likes For Sluggo:
Old 08-06-20, 05:33 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

interesting idea -

rack mounts would also tend to explain the lack of eyelets on the dropouts

-----
Old 08-06-20, 10:39 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
A picture of the seat stay to seat tube connection would be really helpful. Many builders use that area to show their distinction from others. Also a shot of the entire frame would also be really usefull. Like Unworthy, I'm really baffled by some of the unique features of this frame. I don't think the braze-ons on the seat stay are rack supports. The ends are scalped so that is not the shape that would support a rack strut. They have a small hole and like the same one under the BB, they look like a guide for either a cable or a wire. I just an't figure out what cable or wire.

The possibility that this frame was made by a hobby builder seems solid. The C being a bit off center on the lug is a bit amateurish. However the clean shorelines indicate a builder with decent torch abilities. It might be a collaboration between an experienced American builder with an inexperienced customer wanting to be part of the process. That might be why there are no decals.
Likes For Doug Fattic: