Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mosquitos are chasing me!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mosquitos are chasing me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 01:39 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Do you have a source for that 2 mph figure? I know I've been bitten riding up to about 12 mph without a perceptible wind. Some of that could have been an imperceptible breeze (maybe 2-3 mph), Some of it might have been turbulence, in which mosquitos flew into my slipstream and then flew up. Or maybe mosquitos down here fly faster so they can feast off the awesome southeastern football players?
Here's one. If you google you will find many others.
Old 08-06-20, 03:05 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
With a steady onshore breeze , Mozzys are only an issue where trees make still air..
Try the Outer Banks of NC, especially near the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge. The big black mosquitoes down there are able to fly into a 25 knot wind. We would wear Gore-tex rain gear and beekeeper hats and leather work gloves when they were bad.
Old 08-08-21, 07:36 PM
mike_on_a_bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for advice about DEET vs synthetics

Originally Posted by indyfabz
DEET can eat through synthetic materials. Ask me how I know, because I’ve toured in infested parts of Montana.
I was going to post a thread asking about this, but it might be better adding to this one. Mosquitos are bad in my area this year. I do lots of night rides and want to be better protected during quick rest stops. DEET is my repellant of choice, it works well for me but I've been paranoid about spraying it far from my bike shorts. Sometimes I squirt it on my hands and use hands to apply so that no mist hits my shorts. My shorts are the only thing I wear that's expensive and vulnerable. They contain some elastane (AKA lycra, spandex). Nylon, cotton and wool are safe with DEET. I don't mess with bibs or anything, just some cheap t-shirt and thin wool socks, so it's just the shorts. But I tend to get bitten near the bottoms of the shorts in the area I avoid putting DEET.

I don't know how cautious I need to be here. If I spray my legs first and let them dry, then put the shorts on, will they get damaged over time? If a little stray mist floats by them, is that an issue over time? If It dries/absorbs on my skin but then I sweat a lot, is that still concentrated enough to matter?

What are people's real world experiences with the vulnerability of synthetics to DEET? Is it only an issue if you spray it directly all over your clothes?
Old 08-08-21, 08:10 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Mosquitos on PEDs are very fast, can't outride them

Avon has "Bug guard, skin so soft" This is combo SPF and skeeter scooter. Works well and doesn't irritate skin.

gm
Old 08-09-21, 06:06 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Well, since mosquitos can only fly 2 mph max, I suspect one of three things: 1) Perhaps you are slowing down more than you claim to be. 2) You are getting bit by some other insect. Deer flys would target your back but I'd guess you would be able to tell the difference between a deer fly bit vs. a wimpy skeeter. Or 3) It may be that there are just a lot of mosquitoes where you ride and instead of chasing and catching up, you are just encountering successive clouds of them.

Anyway, to respond to your post: I've used DEET successfully for everything except chiggers. I don't really like the oily skin feeling though. I've started using permethrin treated clothing and it seems to work better, though it's a hassle because you need to wash separately.

Good luck.
They don’t need to fly at 4mph to hang out in your draft.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-09-21, 06:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Yesterday, we paddle boarded on the Occoquan Reservoir with our daughter, son-in-law and their dog. On the return leg, the wind was perfect to create still air around me. Unfortunately, biting flies found me about 200 yards from shore. They had their fill of me as I paddled. It's really difficult to reach down and swat/slap them on your calves while maintaining balance. It's even worse to tilt your head downward to see where to slap.

I was forced to keep my head up and to paddle to the end, allowing them free reign to feed. How fun!
Old 08-09-21, 06:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
We have switched from DEET to picaridin repellents. They seem to work just as well, and picaridin does not damage plastics.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-09-21, 06:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by mike_on_a_bike

What are people's real world experiences with the vulnerability of synthetics to DEET? Is it only an issue if you spray it directly all over your clothes?
I don't think there is much of an issue if you get a little mist on something like your shorts. Definitely don't spray it directly on your shorts. (As you might know, skeeters can, and will, bite through bike shorts.) I did that before knowing its power and ruined a pair. The spray in the hand method is what I use, then I try to rinse off my hands in case I happen to touch my clothing while riding.
Old 08-09-21, 09:03 AM
Rick

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I worked in a bicycle shop in Michigan and every Thursday night we went to Hell in the Pinckney Recreation area to ride our mountain bikes. If we even slowed down a little the bugs were on us. The noise of many insects approaching while others were biting was motivation to get moving even faster. We parked at the Dam Site Inn and did a loop back to the vehicles. We would eat dinner at the Dam Site Inn. I recently checked and the restaurant is under new ownership and they no longer serve the Hell Burger.
Old 08-09-21, 09:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I worked in a bicycle shop in Michigan and every Thursday night we went to Hell in the Pinckney Recreation area to ride our mountain bikes. If we even slowed down a little the bugs were on us. The noise of many insects approaching while others were biting was motivation to get moving even faster. We parked at the Dam Site Inn and did a loop back to the vehicles. We would eat dinner at the Dam Site Inn. I recently checked and the restaurant is under new ownership and they no longer serve the Hell Burger.
wth, that's a dam shame.
Old 08-09-21, 09:34 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
If you can get hold of some permethrin, it has advantages over DEET or similar repellents: it is odorless; you can treat your clothes with it and it will remain, even through several wash cycles; and it doesn't just repel insects, it kills them.
Old 08-09-21, 03:29 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
We have switched from DEET to picaridin repellents. They seem to work just as well, and picaridin does not damage plastics.
We've tried them too. They do seem to to work as well, although on my skin for some reason it was irritating. (Not much, but still.) May have been the other stuff in it though, IDK.
We have a range of things including the picaridin by Sawyer, the Repel mentioned above, and some with DEET. I always get bitten regardless of which one I use, but it's always less than if I were NOT wearing something, so it is what it is.
Old 08-09-21, 03:42 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I believe mosquitos are attracted to the CO2 in your exhale, so the simple answer is to stop breathing.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 08-09-21, 04:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
The Google says its usually 1 to 1.5 MPH.
I was on a mosquito forum the other day. They all claimed they could average 3 mph in a group flight, but I think it's just typical internet inflation of the actual numbers.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-09-21, 04:49 PM
Troul 

but do they keep there VO2max in check when buzzing at 3 mph?
Old 08-09-21, 07:42 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Mosquito Forum?

gm
Old 08-09-21, 07:43 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by gringomojado
Mosquito Forum?

gm
some might think it sucks, but I'd feel the itch to join in order to find out for myself.
Old 08-09-21, 07:54 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Troul
some might think it sucks, but I'd feel the itch to join in order to find out for myself.
I might buzz over there and probe around a little.
Old 08-09-21, 08:27 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I might buzz over there and probe around a little.
don't be surprised if you get sucked in. Could develop a thirst for new knowledge.
Old 08-09-21, 08:39 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

don't be surprised if you get sucked in. Could develop a thirst for new knowledge.
Oh, that's bloody sweet advice! Hopefully I find the discussions there nourishing.

By the way, you're killing it here tonight--swatting forum topics left and right.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-09-21, 09:51 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Actually, I can’t B Positive, but it seems like that’s one I used to land on a lot. Really enjoyed drinking in what flows there. I’d even say Bike Forums and Mosquito Forums were my favorite pairofsites.
Old 08-10-21, 04:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I rigged a head net on my MTB helmet last summer. if I can find a pic, I'll come back here
Old 08-10-21, 06:03 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Actually, I can’t B Positive, but it seems like that’s one I used to land on a lot. Really enjoyed drinking in what flows there. I’d even say Bike Forums and Mosquito Forums were my favorite pairofsites.
You being more West, has miles of routes that would benefit from such a forum. It just stings me that my state doesn't do much for controlling insects that have a greater PPM than the rocks in the potholes.
Surely that forum will swarm you with a warm welcome & your style of posting will buzz all the ears with them.
Old 08-10-21, 06:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
They don’t need to fly at 4mph to hang out in your draft.
With my baggy shorts and tee shirt, they wouldn't be able to handle the turbulence I generate.
Old 08-10-21, 06:28 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I've had success with Pennyroyal essential oil (don't get it on your skin, is toxic).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.