Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

fixed/fixed -> fixed/single?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-11-10, 09:10 PM
mxs

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Let me start off by saying that I am relatively new to the whole cycling world. I am currently in the process of putting together a new wheel set for my Bianchi Pista (Japanese spec) and have a question regarding hubs. I have been looking at some second-hand Dura-Ace track hubs that were used for racing. They are noted as being fixed/fixed hubs. Am I correct in assuming that if the the rear hub is threaded on both sides that I could replace one side with a freewheel to convert it to a flip-flop hub? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-11-10, 09:12 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Yup. Not a problem at all. jim
Old 02-11-10, 09:18 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I'm too lazy to go downstairs to check for sure, but doesn't a fixed hub have 2 stage threading? Clockwise for the cog and counter clockwise for the lockring?

I'm thinking a fixed/fixed hub would have 2 stage threading on both sides and a fixed/freewheel has only clockwise threading on one side.
Old 02-11-10, 09:20 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mxs
Let me start off by saying that I am relatively new to the whole cycling world. I am currently in the process of putting together a new wheel set for my Bianchi Pista (Japanese spec) and have a question regarding hubs. I have been looking at some second-hand Dura-Ace track hubs that were used for racing. They are noted as being fixed/fixed hubs. Am I correct in assuming that if the the rear hub is threaded on both sides that I could replace one side with a freewheel to convert it to a flip-flop hub? Thanks for your help.
Yes you can put a freewheel on a fixed/fixed hub.
Old 02-11-10, 09:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Yes you can put a freewheel on a fixed/fixed hub.
+1, no problem with a freewheel on a fixed hub. The reverse thread is smaller and doesn't present a problem.

The reverse isn't true, you shouldn't expect locktite or anything else to properly secure a fixed sprocket onto a hub without the reverse threaded lockring.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-11-10, 10:04 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The reverse isn't true, you shouldn't expect locktite or anything else to properly secure a fixed sprocket onto a hub without the reverse threaded lockring.

I run brakes just in case but I can't get the damn thing off
(fingers crossed I don't break a spoke)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 02-11-10, 10:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
That's the problem with bonding the sprockets on. You get the worst of two worlds.

You can't rely on to stay on when you need them to, and you can't count on to come off when you want them to.

Try using heat to weaken the bond. If you have a propane torch slowly heat the sprocket while keeping steady torque on it with a chain whip. Be carefull the melting temp of aluminum is fairly low and unlike steel, it goes very suddenly from solid to liquid.

If you expect to do work with heat a lot you might consider using temperature sticks to help you manage the process.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-11-10, 10:46 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's the problem with bonding the sprockets on. You get the worst of two worlds.

You can't rely on to stay on when you need them to, and you can't count on to come off when you want them to.

Try using heat to weaken the bond. If you have a propane torch slowly heat the sprocket while keeping steady torque on it with a chain whip. Be carefull the melting temp of aluminum is fairly low and unlike steel, it goes very suddenly from solid to liquid.

If you expect to do work with heat a lot you might consider using temperature sticks to help you manage the process.
I would have no problems red loctiting a cog on and not using a lockring on a bike for myself - hell nobody at the local velodrome even uses a lockring on their track bike.
Old 02-12-10, 05:46 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm too lazy to go downstairs to check for sure, but doesn't a fixed hub have 2 stage threading? Clockwise for the cog and counter clockwise for the lockring?

I'm thinking a fixed/fixed hub would have 2 stage threading on both sides and a fixed/freewheel has only clockwise threading on one side.
Yes, that's true but it doesn't matter. A single freewheel will work just fine on a track hub's 2-stage threads.
Old 02-12-10, 05:51 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts
That is why it's the better option to buy a fixed/fixed hub. You can run anything on either side.
Old 02-12-10, 06:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
That is why it's the better option to buy a fixed/fixed hub. You can run anything on either side.
Exactly.

And I admit to running a bailout fixed cog on my free side. But I have two brakes and I don't skid.