Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Opinions please on the Dahon Mu Uno

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-28-10, 03:46 AM
ningnangnong

Bikes: Not a folder.... yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having seen one on the Dahon website I quite like it. My Birdy is going and I'm after something more modest and basic.

I'd be grateful for any opinions on the bike, especially the downsides to a single speed for short commutes of 3-5 miles in traffic on roads. I like to be able to get up to and maintain a decent speed.

Is it suitable for whizzing around town, including when in a suit?
Old 10-28-10, 10:36 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you owned a Dahon before?
Old 10-29-10, 10:12 AM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
For the money it is a very good deal and if you decided you needed gears you could always add a IGH. Bruce Metras has an Uno with a Duomatic, you can do a search to find it. Xootr just came out with a SS https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw
Old 10-29-10, 06:24 PM
havm66z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think on a singlespeed, you can stand up to pedal. But the conventional 20" Dahon geometry is not conducive to that—due to the long and Dahon proprietary steering column.

I have a Dahon, with gears. I spin up hills.

Maybe if your place has no hills or ramps (overpasses etc).
Old 10-31-10, 04:32 PM
Folder4life

Bikes: Brompton Custom Built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you can pedal backwards. I bought a Boardwalk S1 and realized you couldn't afterwards.
Old 10-31-10, 11:58 PM
miamimike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Mu Uno for 6 months and it was an excellent bike. Never had one problem with it! I sold it only because I had a chance to buy a practically new Dahon Speed with a 24 speed Sram Dual Drive for $400 and the weight was almost the same (maybe 1 lb heavier)! Around Miami in the city, I never stood up and peddled even going up our steepest intercoastal Draw Bridges. You won't regret the purchase for the money--keep a close eye on it though as you will receive many envious looks and left un-attended & unlocked, it will "walk" in a heartbeat.
Old 11-01-10, 04:20 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Recently, I bought a Mu Uno for train commuting to the hospital. I can hop on the train during commute hours without being hasseled. Once I get to my destination, unfold the bike and ride the 2km to the hospital. The single speed is no problem since most of the terrain I ride it on is flat. The simplicity of the single speed drivetrain is great. No need to fuss with a derailleur and shifters. Mine came equipped with a front caliper brake but if you wanted to keep it really simple you can go without since it's a coaster brake. It also came with full fenders, great when it's wet out. The matte black color is pretty reserved and doesn't scream "steal me" to bike theives.
Overall, it's great for short distances over flat terrain. If you're using it in conjunction with public transportation it's even better. Here in Germany, you're suppose to buy a separate ticket for your bike on the train and you can't bring a full sized bike on the bus as they're not equipped with front bumper racks typically used in the US. No problems with my Mu Uno.
Old 11-05-10, 02:22 PM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at a Mu Uno in a shop the other day. The paint finish is more matte than satin and combined with the plastic chain protector thingy the bike looks very futuristic. Ergon grips fit the palm really nicely. . . I've been using other brands of 'ergonomic grips' but it was immediately obvious to me that the Ergon ones are better designed. The handlepost is fixed height so no options for adjustability there beyond using different types of handlebar. . . but in all likelihood the fit will be OK and weight is kept to a minimum.