Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 04-26-19, 07:30 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman , 84' Bianchi Alloro

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 68 Posts
Cool , I have seen that bike on the Bay for a while . You are right it was a very bad description , I'm glad you got it . So my vote , put some money into it and make it great again .
Old 04-26-19, 08:28 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Cool , I have seen that bike on the Bay for a while . You are right it was a very bad description , I'm glad you got it . So my vote , put some money into it and make it great again .
+1
Also it won't take much to make it great again. Of course you could do both, clunker challenge then rehab or restomod. Either way, nice acquisition.

Last edited by texaspandj; 04-26-19 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 08:34 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
... it should clean and polish up well...
You could always build it after you make a trade with a guy for a complete tricolor 2x7 group, including wheels.....

...you probably have some parts he could use....

I have unfinished business.

Old 04-27-19, 11:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 305 Posts
That yellow bike will clean up nice. Maybe put some yellow threaded tires on it like the red ones up thread.
Old 04-27-19, 11:59 AM
seypat

The daily area CL Centurion search yields the following on the DC CL. A big black one, a tiny Terry model and a mid sized charcoal/grey. Prices are $250-300.
Old 04-27-19, 12:16 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
You could always build it after you make a trade with a guy for a complete tricolor 2x7 group, including wheels.....

...you probably have some parts he could use....

Subtle, but effective.

I ran an event this morning with the low key feel of the Fiesta. A 5k followed by a 10k in a quaint, picturesque small college town. Maybe 100 runners in each. Some students ran the first race then worked the water stops in the second. 2 Porta Johns were enough to service the runners with no long lines. Starter walks out with an air horn starts the race. 10k is the 5k course plus 2 loops around part of the town. 5k winner ran a 15 something. 10k winner ran a 35 something. It was a fun day.

Hanover Arts and Activities Center || The 41st Annual Ashland Railroad Run

Last edited by seypat; 04-28-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 01:48 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 81 Medici, 84 Centurion Turbo, 2011 Richard Sachs, '90 Alpina Team, 85 TREK 620, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 180 Posts
Cool Yellow Master. @Hazeltguy 100k with the tri-bars might be interesting. I hope you do the clunker with it. That front rim is supposed to be pretty awesome. I recently got a pair of them for my Centurion Turbo. I'd be interested to know the TT ctc measurement. In my experience, they vary within "sizes".
My '87 60cm has a 57 TT and my '86cm 62 also had a 57 TT.
Old 04-27-19, 03:03 PM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 325 Posts
Thanks for the comments.
My friends bought it, I think in late January and have been storing it for me since then.
I did a preliminary check of things to check Clunker Challenge-ability: lubed the chain, derailleur pivot points, got the shifters working more smoothly, adjusted brake pads, that kind of stuff. I immediately encountered two things that put me over the CC budget limit: the harware store carriage bolt, washer, and nut were stripped and cross threaded, only providing minimal clamping on the seatpost, so that needed to be replaced. The front tubular tire does not hold air for very long. Therefore I am not going to use this for the CC this year, which means I can jump right in to rehabbing, upgrading, replacing things like the horrible tri bars, and going through everything mechanically.

I was able to ride it around my driveway a little, and I dunno, it just feels really great, even in it's current craptacular condition. Can't wait to go through it and get it actually roadworthy!

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You could always build it after you make a trade with a guy for a complete tricolor 2x7 group, including wheels........you probably have some parts he could use....
Well, My Trek is all tri-color 2x7 (except for the Dura Ace hubs), so I've "been there, done that". I have a good chunk of a Suntour Sprint group, and am seriously considering running that. Perhaps that guy has some Sprint parts? I don't know, but I do know that the guy knows how to get a hold of me.

Originally Posted by seypat
Maybe put some yellow threaded tires on it like the red ones up thread.
Yellow threaded tires? I believe in situations such as this, one should put on yellow tires! I knew I was saving these for something. They're on 8 speed Tri-Color hubs and good rims, so I think I'll go with them for a while.

Originally Posted by Classtime
I'd be interested to know the TT ctc measurement. In my experience, they vary within "sizes".
My '87 60cm has a 57 TT and my '86cm 62 also had a 57 TT.
I'll get some measurements in the not too distant future.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!

Old 04-27-19, 03:18 PM
seypat

Threaded, treaded, shredded, one of those.
Old 04-27-19, 04:01 PM
BFisher 

Bikes: '61 Schwinn Klunker, '68 Hercules Klapprad, '73 Raleigh Super Course, '78 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '79 Motobecane Grand Sprint, '82 Colnago Super, '87 Ironman Expert, '89 Puch Mistral Leader

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
That is a sweet looking bike! Nice balance of black, white and red.
I appreciate your observation. Thanks!
Old 04-27-19, 04:09 PM
texaspandj

Like seypat, my wife and I ran in a 5k this morning and it was low key to boot. There weren't many participants allowing me to snag a 1st place medal in my age group (don't ask my time and I'll tell you no lies). Most area runners were waiting to run the "Fixer Upper" Silo marathon tomorrow. Afterwards me and my wife went on a bike ride, staying on the river walk (MUP). It was more like a CX ride as two small sections were over run with river water. We walked and rode through it, it was an adventure! We rode the entire river walk, basically a 12 - 14 mile loop? We rode more and ended up at a restaurant near the river and had lunch before we rode home. My wife is pretty fit and has no trouble keeping up on the MUP as its my fun time Not training time, however she likes going faster when there's no pedestrians.
The funny part is, it's our first real weekend alone, as my 4 year old daughter is spending the weekend with my oldest daughter. And we're spending it working out.
Also like seypat they only had 2 Porta potty at the 5k race and since we're used to baby talk my wife said " I gotta go to the potty" I said you mean restroom? That was funny.

Last edited by texaspandj; 04-27-19 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 04:17 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Like seypat, my wife and I ran in a 5k this morning and it was low key to boot. There weren't many participants allowing me to snag a 1st place medal (don't ask my time and I'll tell you no lies). Most area runners were waiting to run the "Fixer Upper" Silo marathon tomorrow. Afterwards me and my wife went on a bike ride, staying on the river walk (MUP). It was more like a CX ride as two small sections were over run with river water. We walked and rode through it, it was an adventure! We rode the entire river walk, basically a 12 - 14 mile loop? We rode more and ended up at a restaurant near the river and had lunch before we rode home. My wife is pretty fit and has no trouble keeping up on the MUP as its my fun time Not training time, however she likes going faster when there's no pedestrians.
The funny part is, it's our first real weekend alone, as my 4 year old daughter is spending the weekend with my oldest daughter. And we're spending it working out.
Also like seypat they only had 2 Porta potty at the 5k race and since we're used to baby talk my wife said " I gotta go to the potty" I said you mean restroom? That was funny.
Sounds like it was a good day for you as well.
Old 04-27-19, 04:25 PM
texaspandj

Here's a phone pic of said ride. Our ride took us on both sides of the Brazos River. And that's Cameron Park with some national class mountain bike trails.
Old 04-27-19, 05:34 PM
markwesti

Cool shot .

Old 04-27-19, 06:01 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 648 Posts
Subtle, but effective.

I ran an event this morning with the low key feel of the Fiesta. A 5k followed by a 10k in a quaint, picturesque small college town. Maybe 100 runners in each. Some students ran the first race then worked the water stops in the second. 2 Porta Johns were enough to service the runners with no long lines. Starter walks out with an air horn starts the race. 10k is the 5k course plus 2 loops around part of the town. 5k winner ran a 15 something. 10k winner ran a 33 something. It was a fun day.

Hanover Arts and Activities Center || The 41st Annual Ashland Railroad Run
Those are fun; Iíve done several. The Duke Childrenís Classic had a 5k and 15k.

Sponsorship meant doing both.
Old 04-27-19, 06:20 PM
texaspandj

Sounds like it was a good day for you as well.
Yeah here's the link RaceOne | Mission Waco, Mission World
Old 04-27-19, 08:04 PM
markwesti

Must not drink the Kool-Aid ,

Old 04-28-19, 12:35 AM
texaspandj

Dri nk it, Dri nk it, Dri nk it.
Old 04-28-19, 06:51 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Like seypat, my wife and I ran in a 5k this morning and it was low key to boot. There weren't many participants allowing me to snag a 1st place medal in my age group (don't ask my time and I'll tell you no lies). Most area runners were waiting to run the "Fixer Upper" Silo marathon tomorrow. Afterwards me and my wife went on a bike ride, staying on the river walk (MUP). It was more like a CX ride as two small sections were over run with river water. We walked and rode through it, it was an adventure! We rode the entire river walk, basically a 12 - 14 mile loop? We rode more and ended up at a restaurant near the river and had lunch before we rode home. My wife is pretty fit and has no trouble keeping up on the MUP as its my fun time Not training time, however she likes going faster when there's no pedestrians.
My results were inline with my abilities, or lack of. Robbie has seen them in person. 28 of 58 in men's 5k. Some walkers pushing strollers helped me there. 35 of 45 in 10k. 6 of 6 (dead last) in the 2 race challenge. A 62 year old won the challenge with a 22:41, 49:19 respectively. The youngest challenge man was 41. He finished right in front of me. I did have an "epic battle" with a 77 year old in the 10k. I caught him with about 2 miles left. I couldn't clear him, though. He was hanging tough. I picked it up with a mile left and he couldn't respond. No quarter given or taken. That's the way it goes.

Last edited by seypat; 04-28-19 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 08:42 AM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
I'd be interested to know the TT ctc measurement. In my experience, they vary within "sizes".
56.5cm (565mm) center to center.

I have a couple questions:
I originally posted this as being an '86, based on the "6" in the serial number. However, I do not see this paint scheme and components in the '86 catalog, but they are in the '87 catalog.
So what "year" is it?

Secondly: is using a Campagnolo seatpost bolt acceptable? I think it's better than the nasty hardware store carriage bolt that was in there, but I don't know if it needs to be a Sugino bolt to be able to remain in the cult.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!

Old 04-28-19, 09:15 AM
texaspandj

Thats an '87.
That campy stuff is fine, no purist here... Well maybe @markwesti but he'll switched any oem part to Dura Ace (6 speed) given the chance.
Old 04-28-19, 09:57 AM
markwesti

Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
56.5cm (565mm) center to center.

I have a couple questions:
I originally posted this as being an '86, based on the "6" in the serial number. However, I do not see this paint scheme and components in the '86 catalog, but they are in the '87 catalog.
So what "year" is it?

Secondly: is using a Campagnolo seatpost bolt acceptable? I think it's better than the nasty hardware store carriage bolt that was in there, but I don't know if it needs to be a Sugino bolt to be able to remain in the cult.

If the bolt fits I would use it . Plus it will match the front hub , I would keep the hub too and get one for the rear .
Centurions by color . @fleslider

https://www.vintage-centurion.com/yea...lbycolor.shtml

Last edited by markwesti; 04-28-19 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 10:12 AM
markwesti

Thanks for the nod Tony , I wouldn't really call myself a purist . A Bike Forum member once said "I follow the vibe of the bike" . I subscribe to that ! And we all know I can hack and braze a Centurion into something that it has never been (or is that never should have been) . Hehe .

Last edited by markwesti; 04-28-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 10:41 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Thanks for the nod Tony , I wouldn't really call myself a purest . A Bike Forum member once said "I follow the vibe of the bike" . I subscribe to that ! And we all know I can hack and braze a Centurion into something that it has never been (or is that never should have been) . Hehe .
HaHa Good one mark.
I really meant to say closest to purist and he ain't even that.
BTW do you have Dura Ace 6 speed down tube shifters on your Classic?
Old 04-28-19, 11:11 AM
markwesti

Hey tex , the 86' Classic has the original SIS 6spd. derailleurs and shift levers . So far they have worked perfect , I'm kind of holding my breath on the life of the shifters as I know they are prone to break off little bits that I'm sure are on there for a reason . When that happens possibly I can just do the tighten up to the friction mode .?

Last edited by markwesti; 04-28-19 at 11:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.