Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

State your case: Best steel bikes according to era, manufacturer and construction

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

State your case: Best steel bikes according to era, manufacturer and construction

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 10:58 AM
OldManJones

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Interval TG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm interested in opinions regarding the peak of steel racing bikes in terms of era, manufacturer, and tubing materials. When were the best steel racing bikes made, by who, how were they constructed, and please explain your reasoning. I have heard steel might be coming back to the grand tours but for this I'm interested in the bikes used while steel was still widely used in the grand tours.
Old 02-19-17, 11:05 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Opinion overload in 3... 2... 1...
Old 02-19-17, 11:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Easy, any bike I own is at the top of the heap for its generation; then there is all the rest . . . .
Old 02-19-17, 11:32 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
ill throw out the 1986 Look r753 though Hinault just called it "the grey one" - and also

"
Do you have a favourite bike from the days you were competing?
No, since the specs were the same, I was not better on one or the other…

In fact, you see bikes as tools, there is no particular attachment to these machines?
No, it was a working tool we could improve with new technology."

(from gitaneusa.com)
Old 02-19-17, 11:36 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
No, not today.
Old 02-19-17, 12:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
Old 02-19-17, 12:19 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Black bear.
Old 02-19-17, 12:26 PM
Flog00

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
So many threads like this get ridiculed, I don't get it.
Ignore it, or contribute.
I've been on the receiving end after starting some threads.... it's not fun and not helpful to the forum community.

To the OP, I don't have any expertise in this area, but would love to read some opinions.
Old 02-19-17, 12:38 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Schwinn Varsity!
Old 02-19-17, 01:01 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,005 Times in 1,783 Posts
Well, I'll add this little bit of a tidbit....

While talking with Gita as I got this NOS frame from them in 2015...

they offered up that there was a prototype superlight steel frame internally reinforced with carbon fiber yet weldable (or was it brazeable?) The tech just came along too late in the game and CF had taken over from steel.

The above frame is Excell Podium, top of the line for the time and raced on a smaller level. I've got it built up now in a 19 1/2 lb bike without even trying.
Old 02-19-17, 01:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of major stage-race winners, the steel-framed bikes they rode, and the year. Those results would say more about the engine than the machine, but seeing the data over time would be interesting.
Old 02-19-17, 01:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Highly doubtful steel will return to the Pro Tour Peloton. Especially if they go all disc brakes.

Steel had a long run, one of the interesting aspects is that for decades many builders were using the same basic materials available to all, performance was attributed to basic design and fit to the rider.
Toward the end of the Steel era there was some minor evolution regarding heat treatment, diameter and shape, all very incremental. No game changers. That written, I do like my Masi volumetricas, but they are just another flavor.

I think the racers today by and large have to make do with what is issued, they won't know a bespoke designed machine till after they retire.
Old 02-19-17, 01:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
Sorry man, not my intent, I have been there too.

Here goes, Jim Merz built custom frames in Portland Oregon for about 10 yrs. starting around 1972-3, self taught, very highly respected, widely known for his touring bikes but built them all, track, road racing, aero, tandem, mtn. Then went to work for Specialized and was instrumental in helping them become the force they are today. So while he may have built about 400 bikes on his own, his DNA reaches far and wide in many aspects of building to this day. Here are no.27 that was his and no.189 which is almost 100% original

Originally Posted by Flog00
I've been on the receiving end after starting some threads.... it's not fun and not helpful to the forum community.

To the OP, I don't have any expertise in this area, but would love to read some opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 034 copy.jpg (101.5 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg
pic281.jpg (101.5 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by merziac; 02-19-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 01:48 PM
OldManJones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well, I'll add this little bit of a tidbit....

While talking with Gita as I got this NOS frame from them in 2015...

they offered up that there was a prototype superlight steel frame internally reinforced with carbon fiber yet weldable (or was it brazeable?) The tech just came along too late in the game and CF had taken over from steel.

The above frame is Excell Podium, top of the line for the time and raced on a smaller level. I've got it built up now in a 19 1/2 lb bike without even trying.
wow, very interesting. Care to explain the without even trying part?
Old 02-19-17, 01:50 PM
OldManJones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flog00

No doubt. I'm here because it's a generally very positive group of people who enjoy the same thing. I guess whoever it was got some sort of rush off it though. Must have been worthwhile.
Old 02-19-17, 02:10 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
From the 1970s on, American custom builders (and semi-customs like Waterford and Serotta). A bit vague, perhaps, but as a group I'd put them on top.

In general, high degree of finish and craft.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 02-19-17, 02:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,005 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by OldManJones
wow, very interesting. Care to explain the without even trying part?
What I mean is I picked components for looks, price, function, vs weight savings. So silver Athena, steel chrome fork, alloy stem, bars, seatpost, etc. The saddle was picked for comfort and the tires are my standard Conti GP 4000s II in 700 x 25c. Chosen because I find them to offer a balance of comfort, puncture protection, and grip. Basically the only "concession" for weight was when I went to the Shamal wheels over the Velomine handbuilts I originally ran.

I bet if I had gone with a bunch of carbon fiber components, tubular rims and a carbon fork this bike would easily be in the 17 lb range if not lighter. And this is 20 year old steel frame.

As in the picture below with bottle cages, computer mount, sensors, etc., it's 19 lbs and 9 ozs.

I don't know what the specs were for the version of these that were raced but it'd be interesting to know.
Old 02-19-17, 02:45 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Best?
No such thing except in a context of competition use by an individual.

Machines designed in the '70's for the European classic professional road races on the pave' were not optimal for the short sharp weekend racing in city parks we did in the US at the same time and visa versa. Which is "best"? It depends.

My favored machine would have been a poor choice for a powerful sprinter who outweighed and out-watted me by considerable margins, his bike would have been heavier than I required. Which is "best"? It depends.

A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed.

-Bandera
Old 02-19-17, 04:08 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Bottecchia
Old 02-19-17, 04:34 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I appreciate the TdF and pro bikes, but the ones that the other 99% rode are what interest me.

I have one or two in mind. Okay, one.

Based on price, quality, availability, who used them and when, and longevity as a desired and obtainable bike.

Pretty easy to figure.
Old 02-19-17, 04:34 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The best steel road racing frame that I ever owned or rode was 1974 Scapin SL. It's characteristics suited me to a T.
Old 02-19-17, 04:48 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I'm interested in opinions regarding the peak of steel racing bikes in terms of era, manufacturer, and tubing materials. When were the best steel racing bikes made, by who, how were they constructed, and please explain your reasoning. I have heard steel might be coming back to the grand tours but for this I'm interested in the bikes used while steel was still widely used in the grand tours.
This is the kind of questions I asked (mostly silently) when I got back into road biking ("what's the best road bike for the money?") and then, as I got into the recent history of cycling and C&V bikes, I wondered what the best steel racing bikes were. I slowly realized there was no single answer, as some here have alluded to. For racing bikes, as Bandera said, the needs of different kinds of racing, and different rider types, makes it an impossible question. You can look at what bikes won races, but then you find out that many race bikes were built by a specialty builder and then painted/decaled to appear to be the sponsor's bike. Plus, was the bike ridden by the guy who finished 10th in the TdF really not as good as the bike of the guy who finished first?

Coming from an avid interest in cars, I don't think you can ask the same kind of "what's the best" questions. I think the closest you can get is to ask things like "who were the most highly regarded builders of stage race bikes in, say, the early 1980s?" For me, and even more interesting question is "who were the underrated builders from, say, the early 1980s whose bikes I can now buy at ridiculously cheap prices?"
Old 02-19-17, 04:50 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The question is too broad and hard to respond to, because of the large subject matter. You could probably get a better answer with a steel bike CV rankings thread, by mfg. region and era.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 02-19-17 at 05:14 PM.
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The best steel road racing frame that I ever owned or rode was 1974 Scapin SL. It's characteristics suited me to a T.
Curious if you still have it. If not, has your riding changed too much to find a replacement, or is that a grail for you? And do you have a photo (apologies if you've posted this before)?
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
No doubt. I'm here because it's a generally very positive group of people who enjoy the same thing. I guess whoever it was got some sort of rush off it though. Must have been worthwhile.
My apologies. Ridicule wasn't my intention but your questions are so vast in scope, they're overwhelming. How does one coherently talk about 'peaks' in all of the decades of butted steel bike production and tie it all together with ribbons and a bow? Well designed bikes aren't simply defined by weight, materials or other empirical data. Maybe framebuilders are the best people to address your questions and yes, there are some on the list.

I can give you my top ten list of fave steel bikes but it won't be very useful. I'm just that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.