Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

gotta love tyler farrar.......

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 09:07 PM
erader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

man that guy's got a thankless job trying to best the manx missle in a field sprint. because of all the media hype and a lack of sprinters either unwilling or incapable of taking on cavendish, expectations are huge for farrar who doesn't whine, go negative or point blame when he again comes up second best.

i've got to respect a guy who consistently suits up, shows up and gives it his very best against such an irresistable force, and remains upbeat. i'm pulling for tyler to win a sprint against cavendish .

ed rader

Last edited by erader; 07-15-09 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 09:22 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
man that guy's got a thankless job trying to best the manx missle in a field sprint. because of all the media hype and a lack of sprinters either unwilling or incapable of taking on cavendish, expectations are huge for farrar who doesn't whine, go negative or point blame when he again comes up second best.

i've got to respect a guy who consistently suits up, shows up and gives it his very best against such an irresistable force, and remains upbeat. i'm pulling for tyler to win a sprint against cavendish .

ed rader
Tyler seems like a nice kid. If Dean and Pate can get a clear run on a good day they may get Tyler up far enough to beat the Columbia train. They are getting closer.
Old 07-15-09, 10:17 PM
Paco97
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah todays stage was very excting! I like Cav, but I was hoping that Tyler would pull and upset and he was oh so close.

Why doesn't a team take the lead in the last 2 Kms and pull ahead of the columbia train and try and get Cav out of rhythm or forcing him to sprint early? It seems to me these attacks are coming too late and nobody can beat cav in a short sprint, so why don't they force him to a longer sprint or to chase a last minute breakaway?
Old 07-15-09, 10:31 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Originally Posted by Paco97
Yeah todays stage was very excting! I like Cav, but I was hoping that Tyler would pull and upset and he was oh so close.

Why doesn't a team take the lead in the last 2 Kms and pull ahead of the columbia train and try and get Cav out of rhythm or forcing him to sprint early? It seems to me these attacks are coming too late and nobody can beat cav in a short sprint, so why don't they force him to a longer sprint or to chase a last minute breakaway?
Probably because the other teams lead out men/train can't maintain their sprint for over 2km either.
Old 07-15-09, 10:55 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Here's how to beat Cav.
Old 07-16-09, 06:53 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I think Farrar could occasionally beat Cavendish but Farrar's team can't set him up like Cavendish's can so it will remain conjecture.
Old 07-16-09, 08:31 AM
lukasz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He came damn close yesterday. The Columbia train is amazing though. Lots of disruption yesterday and they still led out Cavendish perfectly. Farrar almost had Cavendish at the line despite the great lead out.
Old 07-16-09, 11:00 AM
justinb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It has already happened, in the recent past, without a Garmin leadout.

I still think Garmin's best chance would be the very long leadout, given their TT prowess, but Columbia is no slouch at that either, and as others have pointed out, are currently the superlative leadout team with the best sprinter on the end of that train.
Old 07-16-09, 04:30 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recall that two years ago, when Cav rode his first TdF, he won no stages. He only came into his own in last year's Tour, and he is confirming his talents this year.

Now there's a new kid on the block in his first Tour, Tyler Farrar. If he continues to improve and gains more confidence by winning the sprints where Cav is not there, I think we can look forward to a real knock-down drag-out fight for the Green Jersey in the 2010 Tour! That would be something to look forward to.

My only reservation about Tyler is that he seems to be even more of a pure road sprinter than Cav. Tyler appears to get dropped more easily on the climbs. Otherwise, he's got a wonderful attitude and plenty of potential.

L.
Old 07-16-09, 04:48 PM
justinb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You make an excellent point about Tyler's first tour. The one thing that may work against him is the makeup of his team. Though Dean, Maaskant, Millar and Pate have been doing a great job getting Tyler into position to contest, Garmin's efforts will always be split between going for the stage win and protecting their GC hopeful. I doubt that changes next year.

By contrast, Columbia seems to have one goal this year, to put Cavendish in a great spot with 200m to go. Martin may be high on the GC currently, but I don't think they're going to great lengths to protect that spot.
Old 07-16-09, 05:04 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Tyler may not climb fast, but he can climb. Here he is near the top of Brasstown Bald.

Old 07-18-09, 08:53 AM
bigun83

Bikes: 2007 Scott S50 Speedster and a 2004 Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader

ed rader
+1,000 I think the future holds great things for him. Cavendish better watch out.