Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Old Road Bike to Cyclocross Conversion?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 11:40 AM
buffaloborn85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Has anyone on here ever converted an old road bike into a functioning cross bike? I have an old 79-81?Raleigh Super Record that I'm putting some new alloy wheels, mustache bars, and Club Roost 27 in Cross Terra tires on. I'm keeping the stock Weinman Center pull brakes, due to the bike not having traditional canti posts, and putting on some Salmon Kool Stop pads. I am not yet sure what I want to do with regards to shifters, but I do know that I HAVE to get rid of the stem shifting system it currently has.

Has anyone ever had any experience with doing this? I'm not looking to compete or anything, and am more interested in having this as my beater/bad weather bike. If you have converted an old bike or have seen any old bike conversions, please post pictures so I can have some inspiration.

Thanks!

Charlie
Old 09-22-09, 11:46 AM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only thing I have to say is .. reconsider the Must. bar, you'll lose more hand possitions than you'll gain.
Old 09-22-09, 11:51 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It seems to me that if you're going to get a new wheelset anyway, get 700c wheels rather than 27inchers. You'll gain room to fit fatter, knobbier tires if you choose, and you'll have more tires to choose from. The one possibly troublesome issue is whether your old centerpulls have enough adjustment to scoot the brake pads down.
Old 09-22-09, 12:17 PM
justinb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
It seems to me that if you're going to get a new wheelset anyway, get 700c wheels rather than 27inchers. You'll gain room to fit fatter, knobbier tires if you choose, and you'll have more tires to choose from. The one possibly troublesome issue is whether your old centerpulls have enough adjustment to scoot the brake pads down.
This^^

Also, I concur that the mustaches are a reasonable choice for general riding, but haven't yet found a situation where I'd prefer them over drops, least of all actual cross racing.

Bar-ends are your shifter of choice regardless of the bar you choose.

Last edited by justinb; 09-22-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 01:16 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sort of did what you are looking to do. I've taken a univega nuovo sport with 27inch wheels and put on some 700c. Gives me enough clearance to run 700x30 ritchey speedmax with full fenders. I too used a centerpull brake and moustache bars. I'm in the process of putting on a derailleur and a bar end. This is a pic when it had big ugly bars and slicks.

Old 09-22-09, 02:58 PM
buffaloborn85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have sprung for the 700c's but ran into a brand new pair of 27's for cheap, as well as a decent deal on those cross terra tires.
Old 09-22-09, 03:18 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I currently use a Bridgestone 400 as a SS CX bike. Originally build for 27's there is tons of room for 700's with cx tires. The brakes are centerpulls.
Old 09-22-09, 03:29 PM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Old Weinmann centerpulls with modern aero levers and Koolstop Mountain pads (for V-brakes) works surprisingly well. Had that combo on a 73 roadframe set up as a winterfixie with studded tires.
Old 09-22-09, 07:58 PM
buffaloborn85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you have any pics of the bridgestone?
Old 09-22-09, 09:31 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Not handy and it's too dark to take them now. If I can, I'll get some tomorrow.
Old 09-30-09, 07:14 AM
buffaloborn85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody? anybody? bueller?
Old 09-30-09, 09:32 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
anybody what?

just do the conversion—we'll be a lot more interested when you have shiny new pictures to show us.
Old 09-30-09, 10:49 AM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want a powerful brake I'm gonna be selling an odyssey pitbull II on ebay pretty soon. This is an example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/25373440@N00/266957426/

I've been hanging on to it because I thought I'd end up doing something like what you're doing someday but I ended up with a cx bike so I don't have any need for it any more.