Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First tour, SoCal Arizona in February.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 03:12 PM
Cyclist0812
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everybody. Not too long ago I posted a thread about cheap international tours and got some great advice within that thread that I could tour my own state and not need to pay for airfare. After giving that a lot of consideration Ive decided to do just that. Here's the logistics:

- Month of February
- First tour
- South from San Francisco, head into Arizona or Mexico?

I'm based out of San Francisco, have the month of February off and know I'm going to be going south to try and get out of the rain. Ive seen the Adventure Cycling Association route down the coast and then the southern route from west to east US. I'm wondering if there is a well known loop similar to these routes that a lot of people take in socal / arizona area.

Is it worth going into Mexico? Is it worth going to Arizona? Can I find enough roads in Socal to tour for a month?

I know I know, use the search feature. I'm picking up information from all over the place and feeling a little scattered with all the possibilities so I'm using this thread to try to create some sense of it all, consolidate my thoughts, and get some good feedback. Any main destinations to hit? Where to avoid? I know this isn't the optimal month to tour but Its what I have to work with. Thanks.
Old 12-05-12, 03:42 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't go to Mexico.

How do you feel about snow and cold? You may want to think about your tour in terms of being west vs. east of the Sierra. If you go east of the Sierra (Death Valley, Nevada, Arizona, etc), the eastern part will be rather cold, with daily highs below 50 F, and your options for getting back to San Francisco will be very limited. All mountain passes south of Lake Tahoe will be closed. You'll have a choice of swinging around the southern tip of the mountains or crossing via Route 50 (it's plowed, but it will be cold, there may be ice on the road, and you may be snowed in if you get there at a bad time.)
Old 12-05-12, 06:00 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll find journals about all at www.crazyguyonabike.com. Search there works pretty good.

Forget the loop thing in winter. Head down the coast to SD, then either into Baja or east into AZ. Fly, bus, train, and/or hitch back to SF.