Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Life-saving cyclists

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Life-saving cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 10:32 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Life-saving cyclists

Here are a group of cyclists doing something positive to help https://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/trav...aving-cyclists in one of the world's most busiest cities.
Old 02-15-19, 11:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Good deeds.

As a former ski patroller, I think more people should train annually in basic first aid and life saving procedures.
Old 02-16-19, 12:22 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Good Deeds Indeed

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Good deeds.

As a former ski patroller, I think more people should train annually in basic first aid and life saving procedures.

Biannual training with the company I worked for in first aid and CPR was a great thing.
Being a survivor of CPR by a trained professional is the greatest. 😍
Old 02-16-19, 02:10 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Their hearts (and AEDs) are in the right place, although I personally have never been in a situation where anyone needed first aid, much less heart resuscitation.
Old 02-18-19, 03:42 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
Their hearts (and AEDs) are in the right place, although I personally have never been in a situation where anyone needed first aid, much less heart resuscitation.
Such training is completely useless... ...until you find yourself needing to use it.

Then it is priceless.

BTW, much of the time an amateur first responder’s responsibility is just to make sure pros are summoned, and be with someone while the pros are on the way. (And ask if there is a semi-pro nearby.)

(Next up, nalaxone training.)

-mr. bill
Old 02-18-19, 04:00 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Bicycle times published a good article about cycling patrols helping with emergency medical and even mechanical help in areas that had been affected by natural disasters in areas where automobiles couldn't reach do to damaged roadways,,,
Old 02-19-19, 04:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Life-saving cyclists
Originally Posted by avole
Here are a group of cyclists doing something positive to helphttps://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/trav...aving-cyclists in one of the world's most busiest cities
Good deeds.

Originally Posted by 308jerry
Biannual training with the company I worked for in first aid and CPR was a great thing.

Being a survivor of CPR by a trained professional is the greatest. ��[
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
I’m not sure about the intent of this thread. Is it to inform us about cycling paramedics, or exhort cyclists to become roving responders?

We have cycling EMTs at major city events impassable by cars, but not on a futile routine patrol; rather on alert in ambulances to respond quickly and sometimes under dire circumstances.
Originally Posted by canklecat
…Last April on a solo ride along a familiar rural route I encountered a cyclist flying a flag I didn't recognize -- an American flag, monochrome except for a single red stripe. As I passed I slowed to ask about it.

He was a former paramedic or EMT (I've forgotten which) who was badly injured when he was struck by another vehicle while stopped to render aid to a previous crash victim. After finally getting out of the hospital his goal was to ride across the US, flying that flag, to raise awareness for emergency responders, to encourage drivers to slow down and pass safely. Along the way he stopped at many fire and police stations to chat and take photos.

He persisted and finished a few months later, having ridden from the southeast coast to California.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I live in downtown Boston and was in a suburb 14 miles south of the City on Saturday (yesterday).

I just so happened to encounter a large contingent of well-appointed cyclists at a water stop. It turns out they were on the Muddy Angels Ride (National EMS Emergency Medical Services Memorial Bike Ride) to “memorialize and celebrate the lives of those who serve everyday, those who have become sick or injured while performing their duties, and those who have died in the line of duty.”

This was the East Coast Ride, from Boston to Washington DC, one of a few other Regional Rides. Their itinerary is:…

Many riders were wearing those blue and orange jerseys as seen below.
I would think that stopping at a medical crisis situation could be fraught with hazards and liabilities.
Originally Posted by mr_bill

Such training is completely useless... ...until you find yourself needing to use it.

Then it is priceless.

BTW, much of the time an amateur first responder’s responsibility is just to make sure pros are summoned, and be with someone while the pros are on the way. (And ask if there is a semi-pro nearby.)

(Next up, nalaxone training.)

-mr. bill
Nonetheless I recognize that even in mundane situations of distress, cyclists have a unique opportunity for such “random acts of kindness.”
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I usually offer while rolling ... "need anything?" only stopping if they do. this past year, only 1 taker ]
Originally Posted by winston63
Yep, that's my MO in these situations. I've had a couple of people who did need help and it's: gratifying to be able to help them out.
I once posted regarding good deeds that cyclists perform as a result of their nimbleness, flexibility, and accessibility is that we are the Knights Errant of the Road
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in knightly duels (pas d'armes) or in some other pursuit of courtly love
For example…
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.
I have also returned two cell phones and one wallet lying in the street.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-19-19 at 04:08 PM. Reason: addded photo
Old 02-20-19, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
For example…I have also returned two cell phones and one wallet lying in the street.
I found a cell phone one time on my commute. called the last # dialed & it was the owner's girlfriend. met her for coffee the next day. kinda awkward but almost wasn't awkward. would have been funny, if it was a match made in heaven
Old 02-20-19, 08:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I found a cell phone one time on my commute. called the last # dialed & it was the owner's girlfriend. met her for coffee the next day.

kinda awkward but almost wasn't awkward. would have been funny, if it was a match made in heaven
As a I posted above:
I once posted regarding good deeds that cyclists perform as a result of their nimbleness, flexibility, and accessibility is that we are the Knights Errant of the Road
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in knightly duels (pas d'armes) or in some other pursuit of courtly love
Nice goin' @rumrunn6 .
Old 02-20-19, 08:19 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I would think that stopping at a medical crisis situation could be fraught with hazards and liabilities.
Let's take the two parts here.

First, let's look at the last, since this is the one that scares many people, "Fraught with liabilities":

Most states have a version of what are called "Good Samaritan Laws." Here's Massachusetts version:

Originally Posted by M.G.L. Chapter 112

Section 12V: Exemption of certain individuals rendering emergency cardiopulmonary resuscitation from civil liability

Section 12V. Any person who, in good faith, attempts to render emergency care including, but not limited to, cardiopulmonary resuscitation or defibrillation, and does so without compensation, shall not be liable for acts or omissions, other than gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct, resulting from the attempt to render such emergency care.
(This is the section the covers amateurs who provide first aid. Other sections cover professional first responders.)

So, IMO the far more important consideration, "Fraught with hazards":

Of course you have to maintain situational awareness while rendering first aid.

Is it possible to move someone to a safer location? If it isn't possible, can you or others make the location safer? If you can't, is it safe enough for you to render aid?

But yes, I never thought I would find myself sitting on Mass Ave in Harvard Square. Yet, there I was.

I was with someone we couldn't safely move. Luckily we weren't dead in the middle of Mass Ave, we were "only" six feet out from the curb in front of a bus stop. It was safe enough for me.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-20-19 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 09:01 AM
Jim from Boston

Life-saving cyclists

I’m not sure about the intent of this thread. Is it to inform us about cycling paramedics, or exhort cyclists to become roving responders?

We have cycling EMTs at major city events impassable by cars, but not on a futile routine patrol; rather on alert in ambulances to respond quickly and sometimes under dire circumstances.

I would think that stopping at a medical crisis situation could be fraught with hazards and liabilities. Nonetheless I recognize that even in mundane situations of distress, cyclists have a unique opportunity for such “random acts of kindness.” …
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Let's take the two parts here.

First, let's look at the last, since this is the one that scares many people, "Fraught with liabilities":

Most states have a version of what are called "Good Samaritan Laws." Here's Massachusetts version:…

(This is the section the covers amateurs who provide first aid. Other sections cover professional first responders.)

So, IMO the far more important consideration, "Fraught with hazards":

Of course you have to maintain situational awareness while rendering first aid.

Is it possible to move someone to a safer location? If it isn't possible, can you or others make the location safer? If you can't, is it safe enough for you to render aid?...

-mr. bill
Excellent reply, @mr_bill
Old 02-21-19, 11:57 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Good deeds.

I agree. In my backpacking days a large group of us from the Narragansett Chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club as well as some others that included two MDs, took a wilderness first aid course lasting a weekend. In addition to the medical tech learned and practiced, just as important was the need to remain calm and focused. It is not uncommon in an emergency for some people to panic and be worst than useless if they become the second victim thereby compounding the problem. That course was conducted by SOLO (Stone Hearth Outdoor Learning Opportunities) Vhttps://www.soloschools.com/. It is highly regarded here in the East and it certainly seemed thorough to me.
Old 02-21-19, 07:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
To respond to the Help? Help? Mr. Bill reply/input:
As a trained first responder, even minimally trained (below EMT),
the Good Samaritan Law has been overcome by what we are trained to say.
Specifically, "hello, my name is John Doe - Would you like me to help you???"
If they say NO. 'Bob's your uncle, All Clear, on you Go.'
In the Wilderness, Backcountry Skiing, on the Ski slopes, parking lot, car accident - in my experiences, they always say YES, Please, help !!!
Then call 9-1-1, or have lesser trained make call !!!
Then you do Scene Safe, and start your evaluation.
What you do to a non-responsive patient is your own choice.
Having an AED ( in OP's video) = the machine tells you what to do, and may administer a life saving shock.
CPR is a physically demanding exercise for even 2, once you start you are not supposed to stop til medical help arrives.

As to the purpose of the thread, i'm not original poster.
I contributed because having trained 1st responders in the general population saves many lives. More is better, even Heimlich maneuver on adults, children and babies.
Not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-21-19 at 08:22 PM.