Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Best Concert

Old 02-10-18, 01:15 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Best Concert

Ive been meaning to ask for some time.......
I am preparing/training for a ride to the Arctic Circle in July. While spinning in the basement (vomitorium) I sometimes listen to music very loud, or watch DVD concerts. Slipped in Rush R40 the other day and increased my cadence by 3, speed by 4 km/hr and HR by 3- all of these overall.
Tried Evanessance a couple days ago, and thought I was flying, only to find out int he end that it wasn't as good as my Rush days.
So, what gets you going?
Old 02-11-18, 01:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
There's a theory that the human body seems to prefer a tempo around 120 beats per minute as a natural rhythm, a theory supported by the number of hits in pop music using that tempo.

You could check your preferred music against this BPM database to see if there's a connection between your workouts and preferred music. Try other rhythmic music around that same tempo and see how it feels.

A couple of years ago I noticed the Kate Bush song "Running Up That Hill" running through my mind on hill climbs. Just happened to sync with my preferred tempo. It's around 108 bpm.

But I'm wondering whether a more energetic tempo like "Reggatta de Blanc" by The Police (157 bpm) might work better, or thwart my natural rhythm with a tempo I can't sync with. Gotta try it and see. I don't usually play music while riding. The first three Police albums came out when I was in my late teens and early 20s when I was stronger and faster, so Stewart Copeland's fast tempos seemed right back then.

References:
Old 02-26-18, 03:14 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
the Kate Bush song "Running Up That Hill" running through my mind on hill climbs. Just happened to sync with my preferred tempo. It's around 108 bpm.

been on the current playlist for about a month...
Old 02-26-18, 09:02 AM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '84 Team Fuji, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post

But I'm wondering whether a more energetic tempo like "Reggatta de Blanc" by The Police (157 bpm) might work better, or thwart my natural rhythm with a tempo I can't sync with. Gotta try it and see. I don't usually play music while riding. The first three Police albums came out when I was in my late teens and early 20s when I was stronger and faster, so Stewart Copeland's fast tempos seemed right back then.
on Stewart Copeland and the Police. I've posted Demolition Man on several occasions when the talk turned to good cadence songs. I love the driving beat and bass line in this song that is consistent from the beginning to the 6 minute end.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 02-26-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 03:48 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
There's a theory that the human body seems to prefer a tempo around 120 beats per minute as a natural rhythm, a theory supported by the number of hits in pop music using that tempo.
I suspect that theory was already supported a century or so prior by all the marching band music intended to be played at that tempo.
Old 02-28-18, 03:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Yup, but by some standards for classical music, most marches were considered pop music of their era.
Old 03-01-18, 12:04 AM
Hondo Gravel
misanthrope

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
I know I’m in the minority here but Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Cannibal Corpse and various extreme metal bands will get you moving fast. I love Rush Clockwork Angels but their classics move me more like 2112, Moving Pictures, A Farwell To Kings, Hemispheres, and others. Good luck in you’re quest I’m sure you will do well.