Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

First long ride on new to me bike. Big issues.

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 01:07 PM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've rebuilt a cheap bike to be my commuter. I did a pre run to work today to check the route and give the bike a shake down run. About two hours round-trip.
About a half hour in my arms started to hurt and fingers started to tingle. I've been home for a couple hours and my pinky and ring fingers in both hands are still numb and tingly.

I'm a newbie so I don't know where to start fixing this issue.

I can get any measurements you guys need to help point me in the right direction. I just don't know what I don't know.

Here is a picture of of the bike.
Old 10-07-18, 01:40 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Congrats on the build, I was going to comment on your commuting thread then saw this. The seat looks a little above the bars, when you're riding are your arms almost locked straight? I'd raise the bars and bring them back some.

With regards to the numbness there's a nerve running past your elbow joint I believe, that can be pinched. I had this happen years ago when I started doing heavy work with my arms. For me it was very painful at times, my doctor just had me take Naproxen and it went away after a couple of weeks.

I'm no expert, but you have a sweet rig
Old 10-07-18, 01:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
This could be due to several things: probably primarily the weight you are placing on your hands and the details of how your hands sit on the grips. Also I'm guessing you weren't changing hand grips and riding styles much. (On of the reasons dropped handlebars are so popular is because they offer at least 4 very different positions for your hands with different contact points and wrist angles.) Weight on your hands isn't necessarily bad: I ride with a lot but I am very picky about the exact details of how my handlebars and brake levers sit.

I'd try that ride again and see if you can find a hand position that doesn't cause the tingles. Then perhaps seek out bars that offer that position as a good primary position, again with other positions so you can change. Others here will have spcific things you can try, All my experience is with dropped handlebars so I am not much help.

Ben
Old 10-07-18, 01:55 PM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you GrainBrain!

I'll have to get a new stem to bring the bars up anymore. I've already cheated it slightly above the min insertion mark.

After reading some I also moved the seat farther back on the rails.
Old 10-07-18, 02:04 PM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This could be due to several things: probably primarily the weight you are placing on your hands and the details of how your hands sit on the grips. Also I'm guessing you weren't changing hand grips and riding styles much. (On of the reasons dropped handlebars are so popular is because they offer at least 4 very different positions for your hands with different contact points and wrist angles.) Weight on your hands isn't necessarily bad: I ride with a lot but I am very picky about the exact details of how my handlebars and brake levers sit.

I'd try that ride again and see if you can find a hand position that doesn't cause the tingles. Then perhaps seek out bars that offer that position as a good primary position, again with other positions so you can change. Others here will have spcific things you can try, All my experience is with dropped handlebars so I am not much help.

Ben
I did try to move my hands around as much as I could, there are just not many options with these bars. I feel like the bars are too narrow causing my wrists to be at a slightly awkward angle. For a while I did try to grab the ends of the bars but that caused some burning in my upper arms.

I figured my legs would be burning like crazy since I haven't really cycled in many years but I never expected to have my arms burning. I'm hoping moving the seat back will take some weight off of my hands.
Old 10-07-18, 04:00 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Hard to believe, but this kind of setup is more comfortable:

Old 10-07-18, 04:32 PM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Hard to believe, but this kind of setup is more comfortable:

Doood, that looks freaking awesome!

​​​​​I might just do that purely for the looks. Who cares what the body feels like
Old 10-09-18, 06:26 PM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving the seat back has certainly made a big difference. I had no issues with my arms or hands at all this morning.
Old 10-10-18, 09:12 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by NiGoCo
Moving the seat back has certainly made a big difference. I had no issues with my arms or hands at all this morning.
I'm glad you found your answer to comfort. I was going to comment that often just a very small difference in distance or angle of the bars can make a huge difference in comfort.
Old 10-11-18, 03:17 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Hard to believe, but this kind of setup is more comfortable.
People are different. I have limited mobility in my lower back and simply can't deal with a drop like that. Years of Core and Yoga exercises hasn't improved this one bit.
Old 10-11-18, 03:20 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Twist shifters?
My hand's can't really deal with the diameter of the twist shifters. I either use full-length grips and avoid supporting myself on the shifter barrels or bar ends that lets me get another grip away from the widest part.