Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ergon Style Grip for Butterfly Bars?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-27-19, 12:53 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have Ergon GP5 and GP3 on all my flat bars, but currently I’m swapping out drop bars to try butterfly bars on a bike. Ergon rep says none of their offerings will adapt to butterflies.

So, can anyone direct me to this Ergon style grip that will adapt to butterfly bars…I don’t have a problem cutting a hole out of the ends…Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-19, 08:50 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Before I switched to Velo Orange Crazy Bars I had a Butterfly bar and use GP1 grips. I think I did drill or ream them out to install them "backwards". But they did work well.
Old 01-27-19, 11:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
I have a bike with these bars and some inexpensive ergo style grips on them. The grips had been on a diff riser bar bike that because of the riser and bend in the bars, I had to cut down the grips shorter to have more room for them to fit onto the bars, as the shifters and brake levers were limited by the bend in the bar. When I put them on the butterfly bars, it was good that I cut them down a bit, as it helped again because of the room limitations of the trekking bars, ie not much roomfor shifters and brake lever mounts, and room for the grips.

they work ok, but just be aware that because of the bend of the trekking bars, the grips are more inward than on regular mtb bars.
When I set up my wifes bike with trekking bars, I didnt go the ergo grip route for specifically this reason, and just double taped the bars all around, so she could comfortably have her hands further out a bit as she wished.

ultmately you will have to try it out yourself to see how you like them.
In my opinion, even if you have to cut down shorten the grips, it doesnt affect the functionality at all, it didnt for me, but I dont have big hands and it didnt make a diff on where my palm and hand rested on the grips.

I'll look for a photo of my setup to give you an idea of how it looks.

oh, also, while I do ride at times with my hands on the grips, the majority of the time I have my hands on the widest bits, kind of like with bar ends on mtb bars, or sort of like on dropbar hoods. This is most comfortable for me, although I do switch up regularly, as is the norm to help with hand issues and neck and everything by moving your position around slightly.

using old and or ratty bar tape as the first layer of double wrapping works fine, in fact Ive asked my bike store for old stuff they took off bikes and were going to throw out, to use as "first layers".
Old 01-27-19, 11:50 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6749 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 140 Posts
People do , use the GR on the back open end of trekking bars , but the aluminum clamp is hard.. denying that corner hand grip..

They have changed the design of the grips , from a closed integrated bar end , to an open one with a plug ..
No personal experience with the bar end less models...

perhaps adopting some of the alternate all rubber paddle like shaped grips would be more comfortable..
ergonomic but not made by Ergon company .. look at bike shop, ask what they can get if you don't see what you like , already there..

I, for now, also double wrap my figure 8 bend trekking bars, thicker, but still round.. ..

[ a lot depends on which bar you own, my ITM Freetime are a bit narrower , overall , so the straight section to slip them over is less.. ]

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-27-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 12:26 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have GP1 on our butterfly bars. IIRC, earlier model was a breeze to install. Current models have some sort of stopper that you have remove (takes 1 minute with a file or sharp knife).

As djb noted, grips will most likely be quite close to one another, meaning that your hands will be more or less line with your shoulders.
Old 01-27-19, 02:08 PM
djb

here is another photo to show the limit of how far out you can get the grips, as the tightening part is rigid and gets stopped by the start of the curve of the trekking bars. I jammed mine as far as I could on this old hybrid I fixed up and commute on, especially in fall and spring when rainy.

You can see where I have cut off part of the grip to make it shorter, so I could have the brake and shifter levers a bit further out than if the grip was untouched, probably cut off a good 2cm or more, maybe an inch at least, but still works fine for my hand.
Old 01-27-19, 02:17 PM
djb

re cutting off parts of the grip, these were inexpensive grips that had been on another bike for ages and ages, so I was more carefree with hacking bits off. They do however have the locking mechanism on the right end, at the fattest part of the grip, and this is essential to using ergo style grips, to lock them at the angle that works for you, if not, they tend to rotate which even a bit is a pain in the rear and takes away from their comfort if they dont cradle your palm in the right way to reduce pressure.

the rubber on the less expensive ergo grips inevitably becomes tacky, which is annoying without bike gloves, and my limited experience with ergon grips (I have those cork ones) is that this doesnt happen, but these grips were on sale for 10 or 15 dollars and are an inexpensive option for a bike, but importantly, still having that locking feature that uses a 2mm or 2.5mm allen key to lock down the clamp.
Old 01-27-19, 08:02 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I will comment on why I changed to Crazy Bars. On long fast descents I felt the need to keep my hand position as wide as possible. The problem with this position was the distance from the brake levers. Just couldn't get comfortable with that. Since changing to the Crazy Bars I have really enjoyed the the hand positions. Rode it across Canada and also 2 months in Europe.
Old 01-28-19, 01:18 AM
thehum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been rocking Ergon GP-1 size small on nashbar butterfly’s since 2009. On my 3rd pair of ergons on butterflys since the rubber seems to wear our and become sticky after a couple of years./ Love em this way. like others mentioned, I have to cut off about 1-2 inch on the inside closet to my thumb in order to have enough bar space for shifters. Every shifter is different so measure twice and cut once. Ive use a big ol pair of scissors to do this, or most recently a hack saw. It’s just plastic.

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom View Post
I will comment on why I changed to Crazy Bars. On long fast descents I felt the need to keep my hand position as wide as possible. The problem with this position was the distance from the brake levers. Just couldn't get comfortable with that. Since changing to the Crazy Bars I have really enjoyed the the hand positions. Rode it across Canada and also 2 months in Europe.
with that said, after all these years with butterflies I'm actually considering switching to crazy bars or Surly Moloko bars (similar shape) after I switched to some Soma Osprey bars (similar sweep as crazy bars) on my MTB and loving that. Also for the same reason you stated which is the desire to have a wide stable stance on descents

How do you find the aero position of the crazy bars?

Last edited by thehum; 01-28-19 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 06:40 PM
Tandem Tom

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The bullhornd are a comfortable position. I don't think I really get down lower enough to be arriving!
Old 01-28-19, 09:00 PM
djb

Originally Posted by thehum View Post
I’ve been rocking Ergon GP-1 size small on nashbar butterfly’s since 2009. On my 3rd pair of ergons on butterflys since the rubber seems to wear our and become sticky after a couple of years./ Love em this way. like others mentioned, I have to cut off about 1-2 inch on the inside closet to my thumb in order to have enough bar space for shifters. Every shifter is different so measure twice and cut once. Ive use a big ol pair of scissors to do this, or most recently a hack saw. It’s just plastic.
I just wanted to say that you communicated that very confidently.
Old 01-29-19, 08:15 PM
thehum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
i just wanted to say that you communicated that very confidently.
tHANK YOU i"M wORKING oN cOMMUICCATING CONFIDENTly
Old 01-29-19, 09:04 PM
djb

thats the spirit!
apparently there are some good books out there that can help ;-)

back to the grips, It seems to me that when I put the grips on those trekking bars, I flipped them around so that the sticky side was down, to get a bit more less sticky life out of them.
Old 02-03-19, 05:57 PM
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Glad I saw this thread. 🙂 I'm using Ergons with riser bars, and was planning to get more trekking bars soonish. I guess I'll have to see if there are any extra wide trekking bars, or look around at something else. There sure seem to be a lot of options, and that's a good thing. 😉
Old 02-03-19, 08:22 PM
djb

Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
Glad I saw this thread. �� I'm using Ergons with riser bars, and was planning to get more trekking bars soonish. I guess I'll have to see if there are any extra wide trekking bars, or look around at something else. There sure seem to be a lot of options, and that's a good thing. ��
re width--to be quite frank, I havent had many situations where the width area with grips on is a real problem, sure it is nicer if one could get ones hands a bit wider with access to brake levers, but really, the number of times I have gone down technical steep stuff with this bike is very very few, and its not the end of the world as is.
Here in Montreal Canada, there are only one type of trekking bars available in stores, and I suspect they are all the same ones as avail in the states, not expensive, under 30 bucks tax included here , so about 25 + 15% taxes, so an easy try out.

if you double wrap them and dont use grips, they will allow you to setup your levers further out, and I could certainly live without grips, given that the majority of the time I am on the corners, with hands in similar position to being on hoods.

but hey, try them out and try both ways., first with no grips, before you trim your grips.
added bonus is that there is a good probability that you wont even have to change cables and housings, and just undo and transfer everything to the trekking bars, in 10 mins it could be done. Slap on some old bar tape and voila, easy test.

oh, trekking bars here are standard old diameter, 24.5 or whatever, not oversize, so you may need a new stem, and have to figure out almost surely, a longer stem.

also, diff bikes steer differently, my bike has very quick steering, almost too quick, so the inner grip position means I need to be attentive when going fast, but this bike is exceptional in that it steers very fast, much faster than my other bikes that I ride regularly--not that I use this bike for touring, but if I had front panniers and a handlebar bag on it, it would steer much much much slower anyway, so not a problem.

Last edited by djb; 02-03-19 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 01:38 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered these and just received them. They are similar to the ERGON in shape & feel, waay less costly, and have the bar clamps on the inside. I can't wait to mount them on the trekking bars!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asti-MTB-BMX-Cork-L132mm-Ergon-I-D-22mm-Ergonomic-Mountain-Bicycle-Esi-Fits-Grip/163522350655?hash=item2612b10e3f:g:neQAAOSwOGlbYwBl:sc:USPSFirstClass!91709!US!-1:rk:1f:1&frcectupt=true
Old 02-08-19, 06:31 AM
djb

Nice grips but as the clamp is on inside you won't be able to cut then down, without losing the ability to stay at the angle you want (barring glue use)
Old 02-08-19, 07:41 AM
Tandem Tom

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure about cork. I bought the Dragon ones with the cork for my wife's bike and half way through a tour they started crsvkicr. Had to tspe them together. The difficulty I had with the Ergon rep/ customer service was quite epic.
Old 02-08-19, 11:02 PM
michaelm101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Nice grips but as the clamp is on inside you won't be able to cut then down, without losing the ability to stay at the angle you want (barring glue use)
It actually all fits in there w/o cutting anything and the end piece locks on the bar (in reverse of Ergon design, most likely a patent issue).

Old 02-09-19, 07:33 AM
djb

The cutting down of grips at the opposite end of the palm area can bring the levers the extra inch or whatever outwards, so that your "braking hand position" stance is a bit wider, helpful if braking slowly down steep loose surfaces.
different people are more or less comfortable with a narrow hand position, so there is no right answer.

Not using grips does allow the levers to be further out, and just using bar tape or foam stuff for hand cushioning.

Nice thing is that it's not hard to try out different setups to find what you prefer.
Old 02-09-19, 01:46 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6749 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 140 Posts
NB; They Ergon, make a Shorter Grip Shift version that both is just made shorter , in the 1st place .. And a Rohloff set , a shorter right, and standard length left..