Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Growing User Base vs. New User Image Requirements

Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 02-12-19, 01:23 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd like to hear some admin's thoughts around new user requirements vs what it does to user growth.

Does reCaptcha not work as a filter for junk posts? Honest question. These days 10 posts made over 2 days is a pretty high barrier for entry for new users to use features image uploads. I'd like to see bikeforums continue to grow and even get paying members despite all the competition from newer, shinier, easier to join things like Facebook groups. It seems like the current model is mostly working, but is there a plan to evolve this over time?

Granted, bikeforums has awesome content, members (most of them, lol) and just generally has the goods, but I would like for it not quietly fade into the night over the next few years. Maybe user and paying member growth has not slowed at all and this is a moot point. I'd be interested to hear numbers around that.
Old 02-13-19, 02:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
These days 10 posts made over 2 days is a pretty high barrier
Really??

Why can't people just post text for a 2 days?

I like posting photos too, but when I started here, I'm sure I didn't post a photo right away ... possibly not for a couple years.

Join a conversation, chat with us, get to know us a bit ... it's not that hard.
Old 02-14-19, 12:22 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Captcha/ReCaptcha...

I don't get what you are trying to say?

How does using them cut down on what you perceive as 'junk posts'?

The answer is: probably not.

It doesn't lead anybody to read the site terms and rules, and therefore you still have confused and upset new members who can't understand why they are restricted from doing this and that, which they are eager to do.

But should we make thiem read our terms and sign off on it, or quiz them about it? Probably not helpful either.

Every site has a different way of doing things, and this confuses new members who may not have realized it. Is it BF's fault?

No.

Just help them along and explain it ot point them to said policies and rules..

And you can't expect them to operate just like you necessarily, they are new and so too were you once.

Have patience, take time to guide and of course, some will not make it. We're not aiming for universal acceptance.

No site really can or does, it works or it doesn't.

And hopefully they lurked a while and figured some things out about BF...some don't. I didn't...I got Tempest and this was the one placr I knew of about bikes back then. But I also was a veteran of several other groups and had ideas about how to behave and what to do. I wasn't perfect. I don't expect anyone else to be inirially either.

So our job is to welcome new members and help them fit in. Some won't no matter. This is true for every site.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 02-14-19, 12:23 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

PS We don't need no stinking image profile, we need bicyclists, eh Cisco?

Old 02-16-19, 08:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 29 Posts
I know that a lot of people join up to post a link they found interesting or post a picture of their bike and are frustrated. OTOH, we get a lot of drive-by members that just want to use the forum once and then leave. I am not sure we should accommodate the latter group at the expense of keeping out spammers, who are at an all-time low here. Given the reduction of moderator workload from the old days when we sometimes banned over 100 spammers per hour, I am somewhat unapologetic about these policies. And I know that nobody likes spam.
Old 02-17-19, 08:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Not even fried and ketchup doesn't help.