Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

What are you reading right now?

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

What are you reading right now?

Old 01-21-19, 01:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Finished listening to The Informant, the third novel in the Butcher's Boy series by Thomas Perry. Excellent. Lots of hit man trade craft discussed. Recommend the Butcher Boy 3 book set.

Started listening to If I Die in a Combat Zone Box Me Up and Ship Me Home, by Tim O'Brien. The book is the author's personal account of his year as a foot soldier in Vietnam.
Old 01-21-19, 02:07 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Finished Leonardo da Vinci a biography by Walter Isaacson. Pretty interesting, although I think the author repeats himself a bit. Did learn some new thing about Leonardo. He was much more of a scientist than painter in some ways. Probably would have been credited with discoveries several hundred years ahead of there time if had the discipline to publish his work.

Just started Napoleon: A Life by Andrew Roberts. I know some of the highlights of his life, but also expect to be surprised.
Old 02-09-19, 11:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to If I Die in a Combat Zone Box Me Up and Ship Me Home, by Tim O'Brien. Very good.

Started listening to Transcription, by Kate Atkinson, a fictional account of a woman who worked for MI-5 during and after WW2. Told from the woman's point of view.
Old 02-10-19, 09:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Transcription, by Kate Atkinson, a fictional account of a woman who worked for MI-5 during and after WW2. Told from the woman's point of view.
I liked it though it seemed to drag for awhile. Two big surprises, especially the ending.

Started listening to White Butterfly, crime fiction by Walter Mosley. An early novel from the Easy Rawlins series
Old 02-13-19, 08:19 AM
londonist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Old 02-15-19, 09:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to White Butterfly, crime fiction by Walter Mosley. An early novel from the Easy Rawlins series. Easy Rawlin's interactions with the crooks, police and his pals are interesting, his matrimonial relations, less so.

Started listening to This Kind of War, non fiction account of the Korean War written in 1963 by T. R. Fehrenbach.
Old 02-16-19, 05:32 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
was gifted the power of one by bryce courtenay, about 40% of the way through.
Old 02-18-19, 10:35 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
The Fall of Gondolin
Old 02-24-19, 08:14 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Old 02-26-19, 10:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to This Kind of War, non fiction account of the Korean War written in 1963 by T. R. Fehrenbach. Very informative about a subject I knew very little, Recommended.

Started listening to New Iberia Blues, the latest novel in the Dave Robicheaux crime -thriller series by James Lee Burke.
Old 02-28-19, 11:02 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Gave up on The Fall of Gondolin. The style of writing was too annoying to continue. I had read the Silmarillon previously and don't recall that portion to be as annoying. It had been awhile though.
Old 03-01-19, 11:34 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
Finished the collection of HP Lovecraft stories. Some pretty cringe worthy racism in there that I was not expecting. Many of the stories were not the most well written either. His best tales do convey some odd creepiness that works on a certain level. However, in some ways it is hard to see why he gathers so much acclaim and interest.
I downloaded that for my Kindle, and wondered what the appeal was. I hadn't heard of him before, and figured he must have appealed to a different group of people at a different time.
Old 03-01-19, 09:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished reading If The Dead Rise Not, the sixth book in the Bernie Gunther series of novels of the anti Nazi German police detective and ironically SS officer of the 1930's and 40's, by Phillip Kerr. Good read, set in 1936 Berlin and Cuba in the 50's.

Started reading the next crime-thriller novel in the Bernie Gunther series by Phillip Kerr, Field Gray. Starts off with Bernie working for the Cuban Intelligence service spying on Meyer Lansy's activities in Havana.
Old 03-04-19, 09:17 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Natchez Burning
Old 03-05-19, 10:33 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Gave up on The Fall of Gondolin. The style of writing was too annoying to continue. I had read the Silmarillon previously and don't recall that portion to be as annoying. It had been awhile though.
I read the Silmarillion once or twice when I was in high school, skimmed it just this past weekend considering picking up a copy for my kids, decided against. I read LOTR several times as a teen. Looking back decades later it's really only the Hobbit that still bears revisiting to me.
Old 03-05-19, 10:54 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
I read the Silmarillion once or twice when I was in high school, skimmed it just this past weekend considering picking up a copy for my kids, decided against. I read LOTR several times as a teen. Looking back decades later it's really only the Hobbit that still bears revisiting to me.
I've read the Hobbit and LOTR several times when I was younger also. I even read The Children of Hurin a couple years ago without issue. Gondolin was just different.
Old 03-05-19, 11:09 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
I've read the Hobbit and LOTR several times when I was younger also. I even read The Children of Hurin a couple years ago without issue. Gondolin was just different.
Coincidentally I just started re-reading The Hobbit again for the first time in probably 20 years--I was inspired because I started watching the Peter Jackson movies while on my trainer this weekend. The movies are... ok, just ok.

In high school I plowed through the Silmarillion and a bunch of the Lost Tales that were published in the 90s or so by Christopher Tolkein. They were frustrating. Christopher was not the writer that his father was, and the lost tales were largely unfinished and unrefined. For completists only.

I've made a point to read more this year -- I was a real book worm as a kid but adulthood and graduate school and my current career killed my desire to read for a while. This year I've also really enjoyed City of Brass and Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty and the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers. Also catching up on some classics like Great Gatsby and various Mark Twain writings. It's been refreshing.
Old 03-08-19, 10:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to New Iberia Blues, the latest novel in the Dave Robicheaux crime -thriller series by James Lee Burke. Disappointing, the plot strain credulity and lots of false clues and supernatural BS are distracting and should have been edited out.

Finished listening to Scandals of Classic Hollywood: Sex, Deviance, and Drama from the Golden Age of American Cinema by Anne Helen Petersen. Gossipy writing about some of the Hollywood stars of the past. Good for a change of pace though the reader wasn't satisfied with just letting the words in the book tell the story but had to add her breathy voice drama to every juicy tidbit.

Started listening to the mystery novel, The Expats, by Chris Pavone.
Old 03-11-19, 08:29 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
Coincidentally I just started re-reading The Hobbit again for the first time in probably 20 years--I was inspired because I started watching the Peter Jackson movies while on my trainer this weekend. The movies are... ok, just ok.

In high school I plowed through the Silmarillion and a bunch of the Lost Tales that were published in the 90s or so by Christopher Tolkein. They were frustrating. Christopher was not the writer that his father was, and the lost tales were largely unfinished and unrefined. For completists only.

I've made a point to read more this year -- I was a real book worm as a kid but adulthood and graduate school and my current career killed my desire to read for a while. This year I've also really enjoyed City of Brass and Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty and the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers. Also catching up on some classics like Great Gatsby and various Mark Twain writings. It's been refreshing.
I thought his take on the LOTR was great. I did not care for his Hobbit movies. I just heard that the Amazon series will cover Numenor and it's fall. I'm curious to see it but don't recall much of anything about it from the Silmarillon.
Old 03-11-19, 09:16 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
I thought his take on the LOTR was great. I did not care for his Hobbit movies. I just heard that the Amazon series will cover Numenor and it's fall. I'm curious to see it but don't recall much of anything about it from the Silmarillon.
Agreed--I should have been more specific, I enjoyed the LOTR movies. The Hobbit movies (finished this weekend) weren't as great but they were fine as a relatively mindless diversion during my trainer rides.

I will probably watch the Amazon series because why not? I may re-visit the Silmarillion et al soon with the benefit of adulthood. But given that the written version is not very engaging, it might actually benefit greatly from a dramatization.

One chainring to rule them all...
Old 03-15-19, 10:33 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Just started Running Silver: Restoring Atlantic Rivers and Their Great Fish Migrations by John Waldman
Old 03-16-19, 09:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to the mystery novel, The Expats, by Chris Pavone. Fair; ending was too contrived.

Started listening to Underground: A Human History of the Worlds Beneath Our Feet, by Will Hunt.
Old 03-19-19, 10:51 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Finished Napoleon: A Life by Andrew Roberts. Well written book on an oversized life.

Almost finished a fiction book, The Hidden People by Alison Littlewood. I meant to read this back in October for the Halloween season. Kind of a horror fiction murder mystery set in Victorian England.
Old 03-20-19, 03:35 PM
kanti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im reading The fiveteen lifes of Henry August atm and it is brilliant both in terms of writing and plot.