Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Michigan Early June

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Michigan Early June

Old 02-17-19, 08:52 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Biking in Early June

I did some biking in early June in the northwest Lower Peninsula, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Charlevoix. It's beautiful countryside, nice towns, and the people were friendly & courteous, but the weather was rainy, cold and miserable for the whole week we were there. I live in upstate NY and the flowers, blooming trees etc. there were at a similar stage to what we see here in late April.

Last edited by hfbill; 02-17-19 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 09:15 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
[QUOTEBest Wishes, Marc. [/QUOTE]

Thanks Jim. Hopefully we can get together again.

Marc
Old 02-18-19, 08:40 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2011 Surly Troll, 2015 Borealis Yampa, 1985 Trek 720

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Well since politics was dragged into it already, we're still going to have a Democrat governor in 2 years time, might as well wait til 2022....
Democratic.
Old 02-18-19, 10:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3531 Post(s)
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
This thread interests me. Question: How are the bugs in early June?
Eh, I survived the western UP and large parts of the lower for 30+ years with only a handful of bug horror stories. Either I have a high tolerance, or the issue is vastly overstated. Yes, there are some times when you hit a hatch just right that you'll get swarmed, but it is rather hard to predict exactly when that will occur. I wouldn't ever try to plan a trip around it, if it happens it happens but it probably won't.

I'd be far more concerned with getting into campgrounds at any sort of holiday or long weekend time.
Old 02-18-19, 04:22 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Ditto, May into June in the U.P. Years ago took our Bassett Hound up with us. Poor thing had to be indoors unless walking fairly briskly.
I was attempting to hike in Porcupine Mountains State Park in the UP in late May during a heat wave many years ago, and the black flies in the forest were so awful that I had to give up my effort after 10 minutes. As soon as I exited the forest, however, the black flies ceased to be a problem.
Old 02-18-19, 05:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
"but by July if you're in the northwoods, out come the biting black flies, worse than the mosquitoes."

On one of my canoe camping trips a buddy of mine had over 100 black fly bites on his neck and back in one day. Myself and the other guy had zero. We wore mosquito nets and long sleeve shirts and pants. Yes, it was really hot, but we didn't suffer from the bites. Those black flies are super nasty.
Old 02-19-19, 12:19 AM
robow

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
TiHabanero, I hear ya, Those biting black flies really piss me off because they'll bite right thru my socks and get my ankles. We spent a week up in the Boundary Waters canoeing one July and as long as we stayed on the water, we were safe, but the moment we ran our canoe aground, it was only seconds before they swarmed us. We literally would hit the ground running and run for the tent. It got so bad that we had to decide which was worse, fighting the black flies or risk burning to death by cooking inside the tent, we chose the latter.
Old 02-19-19, 06:27 AM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Originally Posted by robow View Post
TiHabanero, I hear ya, Those biting black flies really piss me off because they'll bite right thru my socks and get my ankles. We spent a week up in the Boundary Waters canoeing one July and as long as we stayed on the water, we were safe, but the moment we ran our canoe aground, it was only seconds before they swarmed us. We literally would hit the ground running and run for the tent. It got so bad that we had to decide which was worse, fighting the black flies or risk burning to death by cooking inside the tent, we chose the latter.
I hear ya! We've settled on late September and early October for our U.P. vacations to avoid all this. Often wondered how Upper Michigan even got settled, between the winters and black flies.. ugh! Father Marquette had some fortitude to say the least.
Old 02-20-19, 06:14 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Yeah, leave the UP to the Uppers. They like it that way, fewer people, have it all to their own. Me? I'll stick to the lower peninsula and visit the UP every so often.
Old 02-20-19, 07:27 PM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
Yeah, leave the UP to the Uppers. They like it that way, fewer people, have it all to their own. Me? I'll stick to the lower peninsula and visit the UP every so often.
Sorry, don't mean to be critical, but they are "Yoopers." I'm a "troll" and love their pasties.
Old 02-21-19, 01:21 PM
robow

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Oh, the local pasties, yum ! I'm betting most have never partaken.