Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Reply

Old 12-28-18, 05:17 PM
  #351  
Danny01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01 View Post
I got the Ultegra RX on there today, and it's perfect, resolved my one outstanding issue with 11-40, which was cassette inertia chain bounce when stopping pedaling. I also dialed in the B-screw a little bit and took off 2 links of chain to tension it in small small, there is still a little bit of slack in big-big. I am fairly sure you can do 11-42 as well with uncut chain, based on how much adjustment is still available on B-screw, but I haven't tried it myself, since 11-40 meets my needs. I would probably go to subcompact double before going any bigger on the cassette. XT RD + Tanpan seems like a fine set up, but ultimately you are introducing an extra adapter and I think Ultegra RX obsoletes it for new builds with road brifters, unless you want to go 1x with bigger than 42 teeth in the back, or already have an DynaSys11 RD sitting around.
Introducing an adapter into the chain isn't a problem with the Tanpan. From my experience it does not degrade the shifting. The SGS dereailleurs have a max capacity that is 8 teeth greater. With a front double and 11-40 you are already exceeding the max capacity of the RX by 6T. Yeah, Shimano is conservative with their capacity ratings, but it is true that an SGS will be more capable in taking up chain slack. Another advantage when using an MTB Rd with a wide range is that the upper jockey wheel moves much closer to the sprockets in the smaller sized cogs compared to a road RD. This extra distance make for sloppier shifts, and sometimes won't shift at all unless you overshift. It's a common problem when using Roadlink+road RD with a wide range cassette. The sloppiness resulting from this increased distance is greater than any(if any) sloppiness resulting from adding a Tanpan. If one is going to buy a new RD anyway and total range in the setup exceeds 39T, there is no reason to go RX over an MTB RD other than a few grams.
Danny01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-18, 07:53 PM
  #352  
bigredgrad01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Danny01 View Post
Introducing an adapter into the chain isn't a problem with the Tanpan. From my experience it does not degrade the shifting. The SGS dereailleurs have a max capacity that is 8 teeth greater. With a front double and 11-40 you are already exceeding the max capacity of the RX by 6T. Yeah, Shimano is conservative with their capacity ratings, but it is true that an SGS will be more capable in taking up chain slack. Another advantage when using an MTB Rd with a wide range is that the upper jockey wheel moves much closer to the sprockets in the smaller sized cogs compared to a road RD. This extra distance make for sloppier shifts, and sometimes won't shift at all unless you overshift. It's a common problem when using Roadlink+road RD with a wide range cassette. The sloppiness resulting from this increased distance is greater than any(if any) sloppiness resulting from adding a Tanpan. If one is going to buy a new RD anyway and total range in the setup exceeds 39T, there is no reason to go RX over an MTB RD other than a few grams.
I don't disagree with the sweep of the curve and capacity argument, in theory.
In practice, I am having perfect shifts with Ultegra RX and real capacity is more like 47 teeth.
bigredgrad01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-18, 09:42 PM
  #353  
HLW
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
2017 Renegade Expat 'HTFU' conversion

I posted my 650b conversion on the thread awhile back, but recently converted back to 700c for commuting/wet weather riding. I miss the larger volume of the 650's but the narrower tire is a lot faster on the paved routes I'm riding these days. I also have to say I was wrong about the handling being overly stable with a 700c wheelset in my first post. At the time my handlebar was too wide, stem too short and bar too high. A more aggressive roadie setup has made a huge improvement. I'm jealous all you guys in the thread with the 2018 Exploit. The silver/grey frame looks awesome.

Originally Posted by bigredgrad01 View Post
My Escapade on an escapade.
I noticed you're also running a set of Handsome Mud Butlers. I'm still getting a lot of spray around the bottom bracket and was wondering what you made your flap out of. Is it just a piece of rubber mat or did you adapt a flap made for another brand?
HLW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 12:41 AM
  #354  
bigredgrad01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
I posted my 650b conversion on the thread awhile back, but recently converted back to 700c for commuting/wet weather riding. I miss the larger volume of the 650's but the narrower tire is a lot faster on the paved routes I'm riding these days. I also have to say I was wrong about the handling being overly stable with a 700c wheelset in my first post. At the time my handlebar was too wide, stem too short and bar too high. A more aggressive roadie setup has made a huge improvement. I'm jealous all you guys in the thread with the 2018 Exploit. The silver/grey frame looks awesome.


I noticed you're also running a set of Handsome Mud Butlers. I'm still getting a lot of spray around the bottom bracket and was wondering what you made your flap out of. Is it just a piece of rubber mat or did you adapt a flap made for another brand?
Yep, got those charcoal mud butlers, I got them since they are a great match for charcoal 2018 Escapade. The mud flap a piece of flexible leather patterned plastic sheet which used to be at the bottom of an old duffel bag, clamped by the stanction under the bolts.

It does an admirable job keeping things clean even in the worst conditions.
BTW, I recommend moving the front fender hanger to the front of the fork to reduce the overhang behind the front wheel, since you are liable to hit it riding off a curb or step. Let flexible mudflap take care of the coverage there.

Last edited by bigredgrad01; 12-30-18 at 12:48 AM.
bigredgrad01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 09:38 PM
  #355  
lennskii
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01 View Post
Nice collection. What kind of tool keg is that? Any issues with hydraulic brake hose coming out underneath the bottom bottle cage?
It's a Fabric tool keg. I had to use a Wolf Tooth B-RAD 2 to position it correctly as it contacted the chain ring (you can also use the Topeak Alt-Position adapter too) due to the narrow steel tubes. Wouldn't be a problem on the carbon models.

No issues with the hose. As an added bit of protection I zip tied a thin piece of foam around the hose that exits the frame (had some lying around to prevent rattle from internal cable routing) to protect it from rub.
lennskii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 04:15 PM
  #356  
bigredgrad01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Originally Posted by lennskii View Post
It's a Fabric tool keg. I had to use a Wolf Tooth B-RAD 2 to position it correctly as it contacted the chain ring (you can also use the Topeak Alt-Position adapter too) due to the narrow steel tubes. Wouldn't be a problem on the carbon models.

No issues with the hose. As an added bit of protection I zip tied a thin piece of foam around the hose that exits the frame (had some lying around to prevent rattle from internal cable routing) to protect it from rub.
Cool, I ended up going with a metal bottle cage and bending it a little bit to clear the chainring, and Elite tool bottle, which is OK, though would be better with a wider opening. Overall, happy with it down there instead of under the seat.
bigredgrad01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-19, 06:33 PM
  #357  
lennskii
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01 View Post
Cool, I ended up going with a metal bottle cage and bending it a little bit to clear the chainring, and Elite tool bottle, which is OK, though would be better with a wider opening. Overall, happy with it down there instead of under the seat.
Yeah, it made sense to utilize that mount for tools. Makes it a lot easier to throw on a saddle bag for weekend adventures without having to reorganize.
lennskii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 10:17 PM
  #358  
Angrybk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I recently bought a NOS 2016 Expat for an even $1k as a replacement for my beloved Cross-Check (got stolen, of course), and I'm really enjoying it so far. My riding is mostly 6-mile commutes on rough pavement, occasional 20+ mile rides, etc., and it seems like a pretty ideal match. It's also literally a couple decades more advanced than my old CC (carbon fork! brifters! disc brakes!) for roughly the same price, and has much more comfortable geometry (the CC is basically a '90s CX bike). Only downsides are the 2016 model has no mounts on the front except for fenders, and the frame overall isn't quite as nice as the CC's -- the welds just don't seem quite as clean.

I also test-rode one of the 631 models and one of the aluminum models. The 631 actually felt a lot lighter/smoother, but a $2k bike is overkill for my purposes. I was actually quite impressed by the aluminum-framed one -- it rode fine and seems pretty appealing in comparison to a lower-end Diverge or something.
Angrybk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 10:36 PM
  #359  
lennskii
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Carbon Renegade owners - it's rated for a 40mm max tyre clearance. What's the biggest tyre you could fit in the back? I imagine the front is 42mm (or even a 45mm) as it's the same fork as those found on the steel models.
lennskii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-19, 08:06 AM
  #360  
sweetspot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Originally Posted by lennskii View Post
Carbon Renegade owners - it's rated for a 40mm max tyre clearance. What's the biggest tyre you could fit in the back? I imagine the front is 42mm (or even a 45mm) as it's the same fork as those found on the steel models.
45 mm easily in the front. Maybe even 50c. More issue than tire clearance will be toe overlap because of renegade geometry. In the back 43mm panaracer gravel king is a tight fit with old 105 front derailleur. Change to new shimano 7005 or 1x ring and you will fit 45 mm. More will not work.

Last edited by sweetspot; 02-14-19 at 10:14 AM.
sweetspot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 07:38 AM
  #361  
valve_timing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by sweetspot View Post
45 mm easily in the front. Maybe even 50c. More issue than tire clearance will be toe overlap because of renegade geometry. In the back 43mm panaracer gravel king is a tight fit with old 105 front derailleur. Change to new shimano 7005 or 1x ring and you will fit 45 mm. More will not work.
got pics with 45 in rear ?
valve_timing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-19, 11:13 AM
  #362  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 5,966
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Originally Posted by sweetspot View Post
45 mm easily in the front. Maybe even 50c. More issue than tire clearance will be toe overlap because of renegade geometry. In the back 43mm panaracer gravel king is a tight fit with old 105 front derailleur. Change to new shimano 7005 or 1x ring and you will fit 45 mm. More will not work.
Originally Posted by valve_timing View Post
got pics with 45 in rear ?
43mm is as big as would put in the rear. While technically a 45mm would probably fit it will be very tight and leave no room for error. The extra 1mm on each side isn't worth it in my opinion.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-19, 11:22 AM
  #363  
valve_timing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yeah i found a guy on instagram that had 43 gk sks on his renegade expat
valve_timing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-19, 08:26 PM
  #364  
valve_timing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you run fenders and 40mm tires

Last edited by valve_timing; 02-20-19 at 11:22 PM.
valve_timing is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service