Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Presta Tube in Schrader Rim? Rubber/Metal Grommet?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 11:11 AM
hurley81388

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All right, I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this post but I've done my searching and have read a ton of threads about it.

There seems to be mixed sentiment about using a rubber/metal grommet or just putting in a Presta tube and not worrying about it. None of my LBS seem to carry the grommet to narrow the hole so I'm stuck either buying online without seeing it or going without one.

My question is which do you all recommend? The only reason I want to put Presta in my tires is because when I bought my bike (used), the previous owner had already put one Presta tube in the bike (with no grommet) and the front tube is still a Schrader. He also gave me a spare new Presta tube he had lying around.

Also, the only grommets I can find online are the ones on Nashbar. However, on the Amazon reviews one reviewer states that these metal grommets only fit the newer 700c Schrader rims and not the old 27 inch Schrader rims like I have. Here are the links to both Nashbar and Amazon (it's called wheels manufacturing presta saver)

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_208238_-1___

https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufac...8417072&sr=8-1
Old 06-18-11, 11:19 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I use a stainless steel washer I bought at the hardware store (I think it was a 1/4"). I ground down two sides and curved it so it fit the channel of the rim perfectly. I made a bunch of them at the same time taking about 1 minute each.

If that's too much, you can do a decent job by carefully de-burring the inside of the rim's valve hole, and sliding 2 of those fiber reinforcements school kids put on looseleaf notebook pages onto the tubes valve. Or use a paper hole punch on the middle of a small round patch, and bond it to the tube at the base of the valve.

It doesn't take a lot of complexity to adapt the valve and hole, so think creatively and improvise with what you have.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-18-11, 11:25 AM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
I really don't see why you couldn't use this type of grommet

You should be able to find them at a LHWS.
Old 06-18-11, 11:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by shadoman
I really don't see why you couldn't use this type of grommet

I used to use similar grommets but found them to be too thick on the inside, and making it harder to mount tires on my narrow rims. That's why I switched to the washers. If your rims are wider, and the tire fit isn't too tight these work fine. If the hardware store doesn't have them Radio Shack does (or at least used to).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-18-11, 11:37 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Shadowman, those might not be bad if you could get them into the Schreader holes as designed instead of just using them as washers. But the size difference between the Schreader and Presta is much less than what such grommets are sized for. I know because I built and serviced electronics equipment for years that used such grommets. For example you'd need a 3/8 hole to mount a grommet of that type which would have a 1/4 inch hole to accept the Presta stem.

So some washers just for padding and to spread out the pressure is all the "grommet" that will fit or that is needed.
Old 06-18-11, 12:20 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad-in-law is a machinist and his solution (which I thought was extravagant) was to make custom presta valve stem screws. He'd machine start with round bar stock, machine a smaller lip just a 1/2 mm high, that would fit inside the schrader hole but not exceed the thickness of the rim, then cut off the bar stock about 5mm above the recessed lip; drill and tap the center hole, then mill off flat on 6 sides at 60 deg. rotational intervals. Lots of labour for a small part, but in quantity, these could be cast instead of machined for pennies I think and bundled with standard presta tubes. Flip it to the flat end for normal rims. Turn it around for schrader holes. It would nicely center the stem in the hole and provide relief without cutting the tube at the base of the stem.
Old 06-18-11, 12:27 PM
BCRider

Gyozadude, trust a home shop machinist to over complicate the solution. And I say that with affinity and a smile since I'm one of "them" and have been known to similarly overthink solutions from time to time...

There's really no point in making and including such a part when either simply ignoring the issue or at most adding a padded soft washer punched from some fiber reinforced rubber sheet is all that is required.
Old 06-18-11, 12:38 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL! I think home machinists love the machining part of doing things. I have some really nice aluminum fishing reel eddy current rings (machined by dad-in-law) which I epoxy to the non-drive side of the spool on conventional casting reels for salt water. Coupled with 4 small samarium-cobalt magnets epoxied inside the cover plate and voila, super-anti-backlash system for big water casting. Saves skin off the thumbs and, like indexed shifting on bikes, it allows the dilettantes of conventional casting to fish like the pros!

But I'm sure if I could find a supplier of the presta/schrader valve seat screw at a cost of $1 each in quantities over 1000, I could sell these at 100% margin to cyclists at $2 each and turn a small profit too. I wonder what the cost of coloured anodizing might add.... hmmm
Old 06-18-11, 12:58 PM
BCRider

Originally Posted by gyozadude
LOL! I think home machinists love the machining part of doing things...........
Are we really that transparent?

...........But I'm sure if I could find a supplier of the presta/schrader valve seat screw at a cost of $1 each in quantities over 1000, I could sell these at 100% margin to cyclists at $2 each and turn a small profit too. I wonder what the cost of coloured anodizing might add.... hmmm
You'd likely sell a few to some folks that obsess over such things. You know, the same ones that battle on incessantly over what is the optimum chain lube? But the SERIOUSLY OCD ones would simply bypass your product and go straight to the "replace rim with Presta size hole rim" rather than "compromise" with a screw on adapter. So you'd likely be stuck with around 955 of them in all the various colours of the rainbow left over.

Mind you if you could have them made from carbon fiber or titanium that may well be a whole other story....
Old 06-18-11, 01:14 PM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But I'm sure if I could find a supplier of the presta/schrader valve seat screw at a cost of $1 each in quantities over 1000, I could sell these at 100% margin to cyclists at $2 each and turn a small profit too. I wonder what the cost of coloured anodizing might add.... hmmm
You can given them free, with sufficient S&H charge ;-)
Old 06-18-11, 01:30 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Shadowman, those might not be bad if you could get them into the Schreader holes as designed instead of just using them as washers. But the size difference between the Schreader and Presta is much less than what such grommets are sized for.
Thanks for the explanation. I'd never tried it, but it seemed a simple fix. Now I know why it's NOT so simple.
Old 06-18-11, 05:07 PM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They sell metal ones on eBay for a couple bucks that work nicely.
Old 06-20-11, 12:10 PM
alxndr
holy chromoly

Bikes: 1990 Bridgestone RB-1; 2008 Salsa Casseroll; '80s Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duct tape.
Old 06-20-11, 12:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mavic makes their own , plastic , split-slot , with a shoulder ,
it stays in the rim hole until removed with intention.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mavic-rim...esta-prod3335/

And, Schwalbe presta tubes, have a shoulder in the ring nut , to center it
in the larger hole.

I used the aluminum ones I get from the LBS,
on my 349 , 16" wheel when the S/V tubes sell out at the Wholesale level, they still have P/V to ship..
so I adapted the rim...

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-25-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 01:04 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A Google Shopping search brings up lots of options, each a little different but all serving the same purpose:
https://www.google.com/search?q=schra...A&ved=0CE4QrQQ
Old 06-20-11, 01:30 PM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
for a free option: if you have threaded presta stems get an extra two of those knurled little nuts that hold the stem in place so you have four total. thread one on all the way before pushing the presta stem through the schrader sized hole (inside the rim) install tube / tire normally. now thread on the extra knurled nut from the outside and the two of them effectively sandwich the valve tight on the rim.

i've done this with our two touring bikes and mountain bike and it works great. lots of miles on all of them and no problems so far. got tired of buying / carrying different tubes for all our different types of bikes. plus i can keep my portable lezyne pump set to presta and never worry about flipping the nozzle.

Last edited by brooklyn_bike; 06-20-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 03:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This shouldnt be a big deal. There is the special collar that fits in the shrader sized hole that allowes you to use presta tubes. My LBS carries them, and I would think that most good shops should carrry them.

BTW my RANS Stratus came with them, and I carry one just to make sure that if somehow I lost one on the road, I would have a spare. I actually think they are a good deal since the tube side of this aluminium gromet is curved inside so the stem is well supported rather than just a square hole for the stem.
Old 06-20-11, 04:09 PM
Paul01

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these:

https://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/item/01-124360
Old 11-28-13, 09:25 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a 3 year old thread but I was curious what others do running presta tubes in a rim drilled for a schrader tube. There were some small gizmos mentioned in this thread that I had never seen like this one from mavic, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mavic-rim...esta-prod3335/

I've always just used a washer underneath the threaded nut on the presta tube.
Old 02-19-19, 03:39 PM
Gew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shadoman
Sir, I'm sorry for this really late bump.
Google just wouldn't help me on this one.
What does LHWS stand for?
Old 02-19-19, 03:47 PM
bubish

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2016 Specialized Camber, 2008 Trek 1.5, 1989 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Specialized Allez, 1970 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Local Hardware Store (True Value, Ace, etc)
Old 02-20-19, 06:17 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Wheels Manufacturing makes an aluminum insert to take up the space between the rim and valve. It is called a "presta valve stem saver". I used them for a switch from schrader to presta a long time ago. Just be sure to keep track of the spacer when you change or patch a tube on the road.
$5.26 with free shipping on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEELS-MANU...SgdQ:rk:1:pf:0
$6 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufa...66451793&psc=1
Old 02-25-19, 05:15 AM
Gew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your quick response, guys. Again, sorry for thread necromancy. However, this topic is indeed in my hands right now. I bought this bike with a fine pair of 19x622 rims. However, the previous owner seems to have been in a some kind of situation where he needed a Schrader / Dunlop valve to go in, so he has drilled the rim hole a bit so that a Dunlop valve will just about go in. The hole is such a nearly fit so that I will have difficulties pulling the rubber part on a Schrader valve through. A Dunlop valve works though. However, even though I don't care that much about the practical aspects of different valve types, I suffer (true story) from some OCD eccentrics. In short, it's major key that I have symmetrics in everything in life, so now my mind bleeds every time I look on the bike with a Presta valve fitted on one wheel and a Dunlop valve on the other.

This might sound ridiculousness but it's the reality I live in. I've found that there are cheap rubber grommets that you can put inside a "big" hole to make it a air tight fit for a Presta valve. However, since this is a drilled hole (probably slightly smaller than the Schrader / Dunlop hole should be according to spec.) I'm thinking that such grommet may cause more harm than good. Also, someone suggested that you could put one Presta nut inside the rim, and one outside, sort of to hold it together tightly. I asked my LBS on this and he said that the one suggesting this must be out of his mind, it was the most stupid thing he had ever heard off. He suggested the grommet solution. Furthermore, some people seem to suggest just going with it, as it is. To be honest, this is what I've done so far. I simply put a Presta tube inside the drilled rim and screwed the (one!) Presta nut pretty tight.

What's the long time expectancy on this approach, would you guys think?
I could need some confidence here!
Old 02-25-19, 10:22 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Gew
However, since this is a drilled hole (probably slightly smaller than the Schrader / Dunlop hole should be according to spec.) I'm thinking that such grommet may cause more harm than good.

To be honest, this is what I've done so far. I simply put a Presta tube inside the drilled rim and screwed the (one!) Presta nut pretty tight.

What's the long time expectancy on this approach, would you guys think?
I could need some confidence here!
It probably depends more on how well the hole was drilled than what kind of grommet you use in there.
I've been running presta valves in Schrader holes for 5 years on my commute bike - no grommets, no stem nuts, zero problems.

Old 02-27-19, 09:49 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Only arriving in time for the re-animation, but am I the only one amused by:
Originally Posted by hurley81388
However, on the Amazon reviews one reviewer states that these metal grommets only fit the newer 700c Schrader rims and not the old 27 inch Schrader rims like I have.
??? Maybe that's just typical Amazon , but by what manner of thinking could someone get the notion that the function of such a simple device would depend on the rim diameter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.