Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Reply

Old 08-21-15, 07:01 AM
  #51  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Thanks avidone1! I know what the specs say -- it's the reference to air fork in the 'features' description that has me curious!

Please don't take any trouble, but if you could be bothered you could easily check: one of your fork legs will have the lockout on top, the other will have either a turn dial for preload or removable top cap under which is a device to turn for preload (coil spring in either case) or it will have a removable top cap under which is an air valve (air spring). I'd be interested to know which. As I say, if it's a bother don't bother!
I checked, sort of....the right fork has a cable fitting on top that connects to the remote lockout on the handlebar. the left tube has a removable (?) cap on top but i tried taking it off and it was stubbornly refusing to let me do so. Sorry, I too would like to know whats under the "secret cap" but the mystery continues
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-15, 08:58 AM
  #52  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
I checked, sort of....the right fork has a cable fitting on top that connects to the remote lockout on the handlebar. the left tube has a removable (?) cap on top but i tried taking it off and it was stubbornly refusing to let me do so. Sorry, I too would like to know whats under the "secret cap" but the mystery continues
Cheers avidone1! Thanks for taking the time; you are right ... don't force things! I/you/we will get an answer to this sooner or later.

FWIW, here's what the top of the left fork leg should normally look like (the damping cartridge/lockout is on the right, as you note):
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/fil...nglish-web.pdf

Page 9: air spring version has a cap you unscrew to get at the valve to adjust preload [air pressure]; Page 10: coil spring version has a knob you turn to adjust preload.
badger1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 06:55 AM
  #53  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
very interesting. If I remember to, I'll ask the LBS mechanic when I go in for an adjustment.
It should be noted that I do not see a spring preload adjustment knob anywhere on the fork.
Curiouser and curiouser.
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 06:45 PM
  #54  
Mattyb13
Senior Member
 
Mattyb13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 130

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon Ltd. 2016 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Elite 650B

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Would love some advice from the Crosstrail minded members of this forum. I went for a 25 mile ride today, I ran something over and BAM... both triggers flat! SO, with that said I need to invest in tires. I like the trigger. I am not against getting the Triggers again. However... is there another tire I should be considering. I am 90% paved bike paths with my Crosstrail Expert disc. The occasional dirt path or road. I know there are 1000 forums on tires but I wanted to check with the members of this forum first before I put it out there to the masses that read these forums. Thanks.
Mattyb13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 07:02 PM
  #55  
Sunset_Va
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mattyb13 View Post
Would love some advice from the Crosstrail minded members of this forum. I went for a 25 mile ride today, I ran something over and BAM... both triggers flat! SO, with that said I need to invest in tires. I like the trigger. I am not against getting the Triggers again. However... is there another tire I should be considering. I am 90% paved bike paths with my Crosstrail Expert disc. The occasional dirt path or road. I know there are 1000 forums on tires but I wanted to check with the members of this forum first before I put it out there to the masses that read these forums. Thanks.

I recently ordered some Michelin Protek Cross Max , excellent quality, and a commuter type tread. But sent them back ( which I will never do again--shipping costs are ridiculous), because they were very heavy. At least by my perspective. Ordered some Clement PDX tires today, but look up that Michelin tire I mentioned.
Sunset_Va is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 07:14 PM
  #56  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Inwood WV, but maybe moving closer to the C&O areas
Posts: 1,208

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Prior bikes owned: 1995 Trek 830, 1988 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mattyb13 View Post
Would love some advice from the Crosstrail minded members of this forum. I went for a 25 mile ride today, I ran something over and BAM... both triggers flat! SO, with that said I need to invest in tires. I like the trigger. I am not against getting the Triggers again. However... is there another tire I should be considering. I am 90% paved bike paths with my Crosstrail Expert disc. The occasional dirt path or road. I know there are 1000 forums on tires but I wanted to check with the members of this forum first before I put it out there to the masses that read these forums. Thanks.
I too have been researching tires, I just recently had a flat due to a nail puncture. Biketiresdirect.com has a bunch of different tires with different treads to fit your needs. I too like the way the Michelin's look, but have noticed on bikesdirect the Michelins don't have the 700x38 which is the same size as our Triggers. They have either 700x35 or 700x40's.
travbikeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 07:46 PM
  #57  
ColdCase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 258

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mattyb13 View Post
Would love some advice from the Crosstrail minded members of this forum. I went for a 25 mile ride today, I ran something over and BAM... both triggers flat! SO, with that said I need to invest in tires. I like the trigger. I am not against getting the Triggers again. However... is there another tire I should be considering. I am 90% paved bike paths with my Crosstrail Expert disc. The occasional dirt path or road. I know there are 1000 forums on tires but I wanted to check with the members of this forum first before I put it out there to the masses that read these forums. Thanks.
I have similar rides. My Schwalbe Marathon Almotions with lightweight tubes have been working very well and I like them better than the triggers. I dunno how they would hold up to the debris field you ran over. They are "flat resistant" but not "flat proof". Their speed rating is higher than most other Schwalble tires. They are lighter than the trigger tire/specialized tube combo and do roll quite a bit easier without giving up dirt and stone traction. They were sold out at the US site, so I got them from the Bike-Discount Shop (Germany) at less than half the $$ of the US site.

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-23-15 at 05:11 PM.
ColdCase is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 07:58 PM
  #58  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I have similar rides. My Schwalbe Marathon Almotions with lightweight tubes have been working very well and I like them better than the triggers. I dunno how they would hold up to the debris field you ran over. They are "flat resistant" but not "flat proof". Their speed rating is higher than most other Schwalble tires. They are lighter than the trigger tire/specialized tube combo. I got them from the Bike-Discount Shop (Germany).
I too am considering a tire upgrade. I ride mostly roads and I want something that will roll a little easier.
I have heard very good things about the Schwalbe marathons series but I'm looking at the racer. Looks very sleek and fast and comes in 700x38
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 07:44 PM
  #59  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm not sure but it seems like there is a little travel in the fork when it is locked.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my imagination?
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 12:38 AM
  #60  
deviusdragger
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you probably have to adjust the cable that locks the fork. make sure its locking it good
deviusdragger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:22 AM
  #61  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
I'm not sure but it seems like there is a little travel in the fork when it is locked.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my imagination?
There should be a little travel when locked: "The fork is not locked 100%. A couple of millimetres of the suspension travel, the so-called “anti-blow-off system", remains."

Last edited by badger1; 08-25-15 at 02:26 AM.
badger1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 06:19 AM
  #62  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
There should be a little travel when locked: "The fork is not locked 100%. A couple of millimetres of the suspension travel, the so-called “anti-blow-off system", remains."
Thanks Badger, I thought so, but it was so slight I couldn't be certain. Truth be told I kinda like it. I only ride on roads and sidewalks (legal in Florida) so the need for a lot of suspension is minimal. But my arthritis appreciates the slight damping i'm getting from the forks. Now that I have my bike set up with a raised stem and ergon grips i'm spinning in comfort and style.
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 06:27 AM
  #63  
ColdCase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 258

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
There should be a little travel when locked: "The fork is not locked 100%. A couple of millimetres of the suspension travel, the so-called “anti-blow-off system", remains."
Isn't that feature only on some MTB forks where when someone forgets that their forks are locked they could get hurt, not the NCXi series on the Comp? I dunno.
ColdCase is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 07:12 AM
  #64  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Isn't that feature only on some MTB forks where when someone forgets that their forks are locked they could get hurt, not the NCXi series on the Comp? I dunno.
I suspect (don't know for certain) that it would apply to any decent fork that uses hydraulic damping/lockout, rather than mechanical. There are lots of Suntour forks that use mechanical lockout -- they may or may not have some kind of minimal travel when locked out; don't know.

However, the ones on your bikes do use a hydraulic damper (sealed cartridge). That's one main reason they are so much better than the lower-end mechanical ones. The hydraulic ones pretty much have to have some kind of minimal travel even when fully locked to reduce the possibility of blowing the seals in the damping cartridge if you, say, inadvertently drop heavily off a highish curb with the fork locked out.

Last edited by badger1; 08-25-15 at 11:36 AM.
badger1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 08:07 AM
  #65  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,793

Bikes: 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
Now that I have my bike set up with a raised stem and ergon grips i'm spinning in comfort and style.
Great to hear that the bike is to your liking.

You should post some pics.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 10:30 AM
  #66  
deviusdragger
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting, the fork on my Comp maybe has 1 or 2mm of travel when locked.
deviusdragger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 11:10 AM
  #67  
trainchaser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 202

Bikes: my bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Comp carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
...same thing on mine, as badger points out, I'm sure that is exactly how they're supposed to function, there's nothing wrong with them...enjoy your ride!
trainchaser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 11:42 AM
  #68  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Great to hear that the bike is to your liking.

You should post some pics.
Your wish is my command O' poultry master
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 03:46 PM
  #69  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,793

Bikes: 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
Your wish is my command O' poultry master
Ehhh that isn't showing up for me.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 03:57 PM
  #70  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Ehhh that isn't showing up for me.
How about now?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2016 crcomp.jpg (99.0 KB, 630 views)
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 04:01 PM
  #71  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,793

Bikes: 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
How about now?

Yep, thanks.

Can you take a pic which shows off the riser stem, please.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 04:07 PM
  #72  
avidone1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Yep, thanks.

Can you take a pic which shows off the riser stem, please.
Absolutely! Coming soon to a theater near you.
avidone1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 10:06 AM
  #73  
ColdCase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 258

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Originally Posted by trainchaser View Post
...same thing on mine, as badger points out, I'm sure that is exactly how they're supposed to function, there's nothing wrong with them...enjoy your ride!
Must be something wrong with mine, or perhaps there is an adjustment or production variances. There is zero travel on either my Comp or spouses Ariel when locked, even with 300 lbs hanging off of them. Not that there is anything wrong with a bit of travel. The tires do deflect a bit.

On a side note, I cleaned and oiled my chain last night and seemed to pick up 1mph during my ride this AM Also noticed the plastic ring between the rear cogs and spokes was dislodged. It snapped back into place.

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-26-15 at 10:13 AM.
ColdCase is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 11:30 AM
  #74  
ColdCase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 258

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Thanks avidone1! I know what the specs say -- it's the reference to air fork in the 'features' description that has me curious!

Please don't take any trouble, but if you could be bothered you could easily check: one of your fork legs will have the lockout on top, the other will have either a turn dial for preload or removable top cap under which is a device to turn for preload (coil spring in either case) or it will have a removable top cap under which is an air valve (air spring). I'd be interested to know which. As I say, if it's a bother don't bother!
Dunno if you got an answer on this. The "preload side" of the comp disc fork has a snap on cover under which there is the standard looking preload adjuster knob, similar to but not exactly like the sport disc fork. There are no air fittings.
ColdCase is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 11:48 AM
  #75  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Dunno if you got an answer on this. The "preload side" of the comp disc fork has a snap on cover under which there is the standard looking preload adjuster knob, similar to but not exactly like the sport disc fork. There are no air fittings.
Thanks for looking, ColdCase. Is yours a '16 or '15?
badger1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service