Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Old 12-23-18, 02:16 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Osin83 View Post
I have a 2016 SLR2 in large that I will be converting to a 1x12 Sram GX setup with a Sunrace 10-50t cassette shortly. I want to replace the crankset and BB at the same time but am not sure which parts will be compatible with both the Frame and the rest of the drivetrain I will be purchasing.

I was thinking of going with a Sram GX crankset with 175mm arms, but there seem to be multiple sizes of BB. I most often see the Shimano UN55 recommended. I wasn't sure if it would be compatible if I went with a Sram crankset.
If you are going to use a current SRAM crankset, you must use a GXP SRAM b/b (or one of several after-market versions -- thought there's no real point in doing so). Your frame has a standard threaded b/b shell, so you'd use this: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...bottom-bracket. It comes with the spacers you need to set the chainline to your shell width.

If you were going to use a Shimano crank, you'd use a Shimano b/b.
Old 12-23-18, 06:26 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Osin83 View Post
I have a 2016 SLR2 in large that I will be converting to a 1x12 Sram GX setup with a Sunrace 10-50t cassette shortly. I want to replace the crankset and BB at the same time but am not sure which parts will be compatible with both the Frame and the rest of the drivetrain I will be purchasing.

I was thinking of going with a Sram GX crankset with 175mm arms, but there seem to be multiple sizes of BB. I most often see the Shimano UN55 recommended. I wasn't sure if it would be compatible if I went with a Sram crankset.
The toughroad has a standard english threaded 68mm BB shell. I just installed a Shimano SLX crank. that cost $62 at CRC and weighs around 600g. A BB cost $13. Just add whatever chainring you want, no need to buy SRAM. you also can install the Sunrace 11-50 cassette if you want to keep the existing hub. That cassette cost around $60 at bike24. the 10-50 SRAM cassette requires an xD hub.
Old 12-24-18, 11:36 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Specialized Allez DSW Sprint, Trek Madone SLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

My Toughroad with XT 1x11 drivetrain. Its fast, comfortable, and looks awesome!
Old 12-24-18, 01:09 PM
Osin83

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Awesome to see people still active on this thread. It's been very helpful. I do love the bike. But I can't deal with the front derailer any longer.

Last edited by Osin83; 12-24-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-24-18, 02:51 PM
Osin83

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 View Post
My Toughroad with XT 1x11 drivetrain. Its fast, comfortable, and looks awesome!
That does look awesome. Which front chain ring and cassette did you go with?

I was originally looking at converting to an XT 1x11 setup but wanted to try to keep the gearing a little wider and closer to the stock gearing. When I was playing with the numbers for the available Shimano 1x10 and 1x11 cassettes and chain rings I felt like I was going to have to sacrifice both at the top and bottom end. That, plus it looks like I can get the Sram parts a little cheaper.

I have a fatbike that was converted from a 2x10 to a 1x10 XT setup and a trail bike that came with a Sram X1 1x11 setup. I do like both, but I like the layout of Shimano shifter slightly better.
Old 12-24-18, 03:14 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Specialized Allez DSW Sprint, Trek Madone SLR

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Its a 34T XT chainring. To be honest I would have preferred at least a 38T but this bikes gets used mostly for social rides. For that, its awesome!
Old 02-06-19, 05:01 AM
lestat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 View Post
Its a 34T XT chainring. To be honest I would have preferred at least a 38T but this bikes gets used mostly for social rides. For that, its awesome!

your toughroad looks awesome. I would to know how you get this setup please. I got the 2016 Toughroad SLR2 that Id like to convert into a 1x10 or 11. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-19, 12:47 PM
Osin83

Gear List

Originally Posted by lestat View Post
your toughroad looks awesome. I would to know how you get this setup please. I got the 2016 Toughroad SLR2 that Id like to convert into a 1x10 or 11. Thanks in advance.
I just purchased all of the components to make a pretty similar build. I went Sram instead of Shimano mainly due to price. I picked up a GX 12 speed shifter, rear derailer, chain and a Sunrace 10x50 cassette as a bundle online for $235. I also picked up a lightly used Sram X1 gxp 1400 crankset w/ BB included for $70 off ebay. ​​​​​​

It's a pretty similar setup to the XT setup above. I just need to pick up a few specialty tools such as a chain whip wrench, BB tool, etc to make the swap.